IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

I hate to ask you to do this, but until I can fool with it, can you give this one a try on the Concerto: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245418-bentley-bears-crystal-quest-complete-game/?p=3396182

It works in MESS, so I'm hoping the Concerto will see the header correctly as well.

Thanks,

Bob

Sad to report that Pokey is not detected on the concerto in this version either.

See here. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This looks pretty fun and some nice scrolling effects. The Wonder Boy kind of life bar really keeps you moving lol. It's a nice sprite but I kind of miss his wizard hat. :)

Hat is there - just not always. It is for invincibility purposes (Just like in the original Crystal Castles Arcade game). :-D

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Okay, dumb question, but...how do you shoot?? Fire buttons do nothing but start the game for me...FWIW, I'm using this on a Mateos multicart, so I'm sure that might have something to do with it. Tried two different versions of the ROM, including the one from December 2015. Results: exactly the same, except the December 2015 one isn't giving me any sound. (I do have a POKEY on the Mateos.)

No no - I meant just reset the game.

The left difficulty switch should be set to the right position and the right difficulty switch determines which button is jump, and which button is run/shoot.

I re-read your first post - it almost sounds like your edladdin is being read as a CX-40... Does Asteroids play with one button as fire and the other as Hyperspace? If retail Asteroids plays as Up = thrust and down = hyperspace, then your edladdin is looking like a single button joystick to the 7800.

Edited by PacManPlus

I doubt it -- I have since tried both Alpha Race and Combat 1990, both of which recognized each button. I'll try those difficulty switches again, though, as soon as I get a chance. (Still, though, the fire button should have done something, right?)

Ok - so the game thinks the left difficulty switch is set to left. I don't mean to sound like this is going to sound (and I apologize in advance), but I just want to double-check. The left difficulty switch is slid right?

If so, can we check 2600 Space Invaders to see the size of the player's ship changes when you slide the left difficulty switch back and forth?

I'm only asking this because I would be surprised if it is the Mateos cart doing this. :(

I'm sorry :(

Edited by PacManPlus

Ok - so the game thinks the left difficulty switch is set to left. I don't mean to sound like this is going to sound (and I apologize in advance), but I just want to double-check. The left difficulty switch is slid right?

If so, can we check 2600 Space Invaders to see the size of the player's ship changes when you slide the left difficulty switch back and forth?

I'm only asking this because I would be surprised if it is the Mateos cart doing this. :(

I'm sorry :(

Heh, don't feel bad, I used BBCQ for testing almost the whole time, when I made the PS adapter. Worked with my board and every joystick / pad I threw at it. So, moral of the story is, buy it from the store. :D Or try another system. :ponder:

• Like 1

Well, that was fun while that lasted...I think I fried my Mateos cart....no matter what I do with it now, I just get a black screen. No matter what ROM I copy over. Yay.

Does it have a bios you can reprogram?

I found that to be the beauty with the concerto after figuring it out it is almost "unbrickable" Gives the user a reflashing tool and with a usb can reinstall the bios.

I bet Mateos can help you out.

Once BBCQ hits the store it is best we all buy it anyways!

Oh BBCQ with a uberarcade stick controlls work fine.

• Like 1

Juan is working with me to diagnose the problem. The cart is mounting and allowing me to load ROMs but it's not functioning in the 7800.

And believe me, I have every intention to buy Crystal Quest. :)

(Aside from my lack of patience, I do have a reason for wanting to play this on a real 7800. Will explain later!)

• Like 1

Yep. Up jumps. Getting the first crystal didn't make a difference.

BBCQ works on my Mateos cart without issue. Just as PMP said, the difficulty switches have to be in the right positions for it to work right. On mine, a reset is required before the game knows what is what. I actually prefer to play it in the CX-40 method using a Genesis controller. The two button setup should be more ideal, but just doesn't play as smooth for me. Eitherway I still suck at the game because I can't get past the first world areas. I can only get to the second world areas by using the hidden warp.

• Like 1

To emphasize the importance of the difficulty switches, their configuration determines not only if joystick up or a button jumps, additionally, their setting configures which button jumps, while the other button is for running and firing.

From the Difficulty Switches Guide:

post-18-0-72847300-1489501301_thumb.png

To elaborate on the above:

Left Difficulty Switch set to the left = Utilize one button controller scheme. Joystick pressed up jumps.

Left Difficulty Switch set to the right = Utilize two button controller scheme.

Right Difficulty Switch set to the left = Button 1 runs and fires, Button 2 jumps

Right Difficulty Switch set to the right = Button 1 jumps, Button 2 runs and fires.

A considerable number of players may find Left Difficulty Switch set to the right and Right Difficulty Switch set to the left to be the most familiar and/or comfortable layout for them.

To also emphasize what Bob mentioned, restart the game when you change Difficulty Switch configuration, as changes do not work 'on the fly'.

If you lose a life, start a new round, or continue a game, after making a Difficulty Switch change, it may recognize the updated configuration. However, in-game, during the middle of a round, the game definitely does not recognize any Difficulty Switch changes.

• Like 2

Never started playing this until the other night.

Dude, you TOTALLY outdid yourself!

Not sure if you are referring to me or not, but if you are, thank you! :)

@Dauber - Here's hoping Mateos can get your cart working ...

Edited by PacManPlus

Some notes concerning controllers:

If a controller with two independent buttons (I.E. 7800 ProLine joystick, 7800 gamepad, a Genesis controller* via adapter from Edladdin or Grips, etc), is being utilized, setting the game configuration to one button controller mode results in Bentley only being able to jump, and the ability to run or fire gems is lost.

If a controller with one function fire button(s) (I.E Atari 2600 CX40 joystick, TAC-2, Slik Stik) is being utilized, ensure the Left Difficulty Switch is set to the left and the Right Difficulty Switch is set to the right. Pushing up results in jumping, while holding/tapping the button results in running/firing.

Breaking down the control options:

1. A controller with two independent fire buttons is being utilized.

The Left Difficulty Switch *must* be set to the right.

There are two different configurations that is set by the Right Difficulty Switch:

A. Button 1 makes Bentley run when held and fires gems when tapped, Button 2 makes Bentley jump (Right Difficulty switch set to the left).
Or
B. Button 1 makes Bentley jump, Button 2 makes Bentley run when held and fires gems when tapped (Right Difficulty switch set to the right).

2. A controller designed for only one function fire button(s) is being utilized.

The Left Difficulty Switch *must* be set to the left.

The Right Difficulty Switch *must* be set to right.

Pressing up makes Bentley jump and the fire button makes Bentley run when held and makes Bentley fire gems when tapped.

*NOTE: Utilizing a Genesis controller without an adapter results in unfavorable or/and incomplete control over Bentley. Sometimes run mode is 'stuck on' or/and jumps are delayed, jump distance is hard to impossible to control, or you can only jump with no ability to run or/and fire. It does not behave the same as a "true" one button (CX40) function controller with the correct Difficulty Switch settings, or as a two independent buttons controller.

Other 7800 games have problems with stand-alone Genesis controllers too, as they are not fully compatible with the 7800 or other systems. They are a known risk to function incorrectly under the 7800 without an adapter.