IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

Not sure if this is a bug or intended. The enemy went charging straight into and stuck inside the wall/platform:

I easily just shot its head and continued, or I could have just jumped over him, but wanted to bring it to your attention in case this is something you did not want to occur with enemy behavior.

This is the first and only time it has happened.

SHHHHHH!!!!!! Say no more... That didn't happen. ;)

Level 4:

post-18-0-38347000-1359325807_thumb.pngpost-18-0-39902600-1359325815_thumb.pngpost-18-0-72175300-1359325821_thumb.png

post-18-0-63097300-1359325828_thumb.pngpost-18-0-04162700-1359325834_thumb.pngpost-18-0-29929300-1359325849_thumb.png

post-18-0-73146300-1359325855_thumb.pngpost-18-0-96729900-1359325861_thumb.pngpost-18-0-26553100-1359325870_thumb.png

post-18-0-99480300-1359325877_thumb.pngpost-18-0-54262500-1359325884_thumb.png

There is an extra capture for Round 1 this time so it would remind me to mention and somewhat help the viewer to appreciate the awesome day to night transitioning that takes place pretty frequently throughout this amazing game. Bob could have done enough with just changing background/sky color, but no he takes it further. You have color palette shifts galore, within the same round, so seamless and beautiful.

Not that you need me to tell you this but we are only scratching the surface here. You really need to play this and see it in action (and do so numerous times) to start and appreciate a lot of this stuff. There is so much action going on, often I had to stop and force myself to die, not just for the screenshots, but also because I wanted to see a certain spot again. Scrolling, layout and effects in this game are just jaw dropping at times.

• Like 4

Wow - thank you for the compliments, Trebor :)

Ok, I've been thinking about this, and I'm going to make some changes to a few enemy AI:

1 - The 'Claw' attack from the Coyote will no longer be for the player (it didn't do much anyway). The Coyote will now 'swipe' at the jewel being thrown at him (and no longer 'jump' when a jewel is thrown). Only if the jewel is in the 'paw' area will it get knocked in the reverse direction, otherwise it will still count as a hit to the Coyote.

2 - There will only be one color knight (red). The other colors weren't used much anyway, and they weren't different.

3 - The knight will stop and 'slash' at the jewel instead of the player (giving a bigger area to connect with the jewel, therefore will be more difficult than the Coyote, but slower). He will no longer 'back up' when a jewel is thrown.

I will start working on this, and the 'invincible period' when the player re-enters the level after being killed.

thanks, guys :)

Bob

I really need to spend some time with this one..from what I just saw in Trebors post...I want to get there and beyond..looks like a whole lotta fun!!!!

So many good homebrew games.. sooo little time. I am soooooooo glad I didn't ditch Atari.

Oh and welcome back PacManPlus....never doubted it!!!..LOL! :)

3 - The knight will stop and 'slash' at the jewel instead of the player (giving a bigger area to connect with the jewel, therefore will be more difficult than the Coyote, but slower). He will no longer 'back up' when a jewel is thrown.

Like this much better than his constant going back when you throw a jewel. If possible and of course if you like, maybe instead of completely taking away his back-up technique, it can be utilized as sort of a 'dodge move', occurring every set amount of seconds (5 is it?) like the way the jumping plant is handled. But instead of jumping, he backs up several steps and then continues forward again.

May sound better than work when actually implemented, but thought of it sort of a 'dodge the jewel' move, especially considering the jewel has a limited distance it can be thrown, could make killing the knight a tad bit tougher if he backs up and you miss hitting him.

Level 4:

post-18-0-38347000-1359325807_thumb.pngpost-18-0-39902600-1359325815_thumb.pngpost-18-0-72175300-1359325821_thumb.png

post-18-0-63097300-1359325828_thumb.pngpost-18-0-04162700-1359325834_thumb.pngpost-18-0-29929300-1359325849_thumb.png

post-18-0-73146300-1359325855_thumb.pngpost-18-0-96729900-1359325861_thumb.pngpost-18-0-26553100-1359325870_thumb.png

post-18-0-99480300-1359325877_thumb.pngpost-18-0-54262500-1359325884_thumb.png

There is an extra capture for Round 1 this time so it would remind me to mention and somewhat help the viewer to appreciate the awesome day to night transitioning that takes place pretty frequently throughout this amazing game. Bob could have done enough with just changing background/sky color, but no he takes it further. You have color palette shifts galore, within the same round, so seamless and beautiful.

Not that you need me to tell you this but we are only scratching the surface here. You really need to play this and see it in action (and do so numerous times) to start and appreciate a lot of this stuff. There is so much action going on, often I had to stop and force myself to die, not just for the screenshots, but also because I wanted to see a certain spot again. Scrolling, layout and effects in this game are just jaw dropping at times.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :)

P.S.

thanks for screen captures ... and your palettes are formidable!

One thing I can say - those video effects that you're showing from MESS in your screenshots are making a really good argument for me to switch from ProSystem. I've used MESS in the past, but there's a little bit of pain involved in getting the BIOS' for each system you want to emulate. I had to go through some of that for my Atari 800 and ST emulators though, so it's probably worth it. Up until now, I felt no reason to switch from ProSystem, which is easy to set up and run. But I'm really enjoying the look of NTSC effects on Stella, and I miss seeing them when I play 7800 games.

• Like 1

One thing I can say - those video effects that you're showing from MESS in your screenshots are making a really good argument for me to switch from ProSystem. I've used MESS in the past, but there's a little bit of pain involved in getting the BIOS' for each system you want to emulate.

Made super easy to get Atari 7800 up and running just like you see in these captures here.

All BIOS files, artwork files, and necessary settings are in place. Just download and unzip to the same folder mess.exe is stored.

Thanks, guys :)

@Cafeman - As was already pointed out, it is a 144K game :)

@NIKON & Defender_2600 - Thank you... I appreciate the comments. :)

Here is what has changed (still need to get to the music):

• The meter title changed from 'life' to 'energy' (I agreed with Trebor's assessment) :)
  • The enemies don't immediately move upon Bentley returning to the screen after losing a life (they wait about 2 seconds before moving - although you can still die if you run into them) (Hey DracIsBack!)
  • The 'Jumping' and 'Throwing' sprites with the 'Magic Hat' on are now in place. Being I removed the other two knights, I now had room to make them
  • The Coyote no longer jumps when you throw a jewel (although he still does when reaching a wall). He 'swipes' at the jewels thrown at him and if he hits them they get thrown out of the way. He is a little harder to defeat now, so I've slowed him down a bit.
  • The Knight also swings his sword at jewels thrown at him. If his sword hits a jewel, it gets thrown out of the way. He periodically backs up, in the same way the gem eater (worm) periodically jumps. He is quite a bit more difficult now.

I like these changes, I hope you do as well.

NOTE: I am out of code space room in the $C000-$FFFF range now. I will have to move the sound data (even the common ones, like the 'jump' sound) to the area designated for the background music... especially if we end up using the Yamaha for sound like I would like to. I had reserved $1000 bytes of data for background music for each level (bank) + the title screen as well.

Enjoy!

Bob

Bentley.A78

Bentley.BIN

BentleyP.A78

BentleyP.BIN

• Like 3

Hi again guys:

Ok, I got some PMs about the Coyote being too difficult now. So, only his AI was put back:

1 - I agree that the Coyote is too difficult for the area of the game that he is in. I changed his AI back to what it was. The Knight, however, is kept with the new AI as he should be more difficult because he only appears much later in the game.

2 - The Bentley sprite was slightly changed at the feet, thanks to KevinMos3.

Thanks

Bob

Bentley.a78

Bentley.BIN

BentleyP.A78

BentleyP.BIN

• Like 1

1. LOVE the new Title screen !!!!

2. LOVE the sound effects !!!!

3. LOVE the Continue feature !!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: