IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

Bob i cannot wait to see what else you might have to show us.....Does anybody know anything about 'ICY ' the ice climber a like that curt showed on demo at the convention the other day??

It looked incredible and that is one of my favorite games..............Wait Bob is this the surprise????

And to scmutzpuppe way to go man frogger is absolutely bad ass, its a timeless awesome game, your version is perfect and this is definitely something the 7800 should of had back in 86.

Please add my name to any cart lists if there is one

...interesting that you would mention Schmutzpuppe and the surprise in one post... :ponder: :D It actually doesn't have anything to do with Bentley... I kind of put that statement in the wrong thread.

I don't know anything about Icy - that's GroovyBee's baby. I don't know if it's a completed game or just a demo.

I learned in D.A.R.E. class to stay away from PCP. :P

That's a code for something at work (I really have never asked what, but I think it's something they put into a program, and everyone just calls the program PCP), and the two older women in my office who keep saying it have no idea that I find their conversations funny because of it. They seem unaware of how it sounds. "Do you have PCP open? We need PCP to get this done. Okay, okay, I've got PCP ready here."

The only thing funnier is when we get office supplies from a company called "Dicks" and we just get boxes and boxes come in with the word "Dicks" all over them.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

lol :)

Thanks, guys.

I've had a few reports that the Witch is too easy. Therefore, I am changing a few things around about what happens when the Witch is encountered. I won't list them all, but one of the things that will happen is the player will be reduced to the red Jewel worth 2 hit points (if he/she has a higher value jewel), due to a curse by the Witch when you get in her proximity. This will happen on each level.

There are a few other things I will get into on the later levels, but I'll leave that up to the player to find out. ;)

Thanks,

Bob

*EDIT - I just realized that writing the manual for this game is going to be a PAIN! :)

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 2

:)

Actually, I don't yet - Schmutzpuppe made that bin... I have no idea (yet) how to do sound samples - both he and Synthpoppalooza started to explain it to me (about modulating the volume, not the frequency), but I need to see examples to see how it works =)

Also, I don't think that will be possible here as it takes most of the CPU time to do that (which is why Berzerk with voice stops on the 2600, and regular Berzerk stops on the 5200 while it is speaking).

Schmutzpuppe had mentioned using the RIOT timer, but neither he nor I know if that would be feasable / possible.

Thanks,

Bob

Also, I don't think that will be possible here as it takes most of the CPU time to do that

Maybe she can cackle to announce her presence!

:grin:

The game is fantastic as is. I just saw the samples and the idea came to me as a cool final touch that would make this game more like platformers of the era.

:)

Actually, I don't yet - Schmutzpuppe made that bin... I have no idea (yet) how to do sound samples - both he and Synthpoppalooza started to explain it to me (about modulating the volume, not the frequency), but I need to see examples to see how it works =)

Also, I don't think that will be possible here as it takes most of the CPU time to do that (which is why Berzerk with voice stops on the 2600, and regular Berzerk stops on the 5200 while it is speaking).

Schmutzpuppe had mentioned using the RIOT timer, but neither he nor I know if that would be feasable / possible.

Thanks,

Bob

There is a way to have sample playback without using full CPU or halting the action. It is IRQ based. Sheddy's Space Harrier does this. I'm not suggesting you implement this, just letting it be known. The implementation details are beyond my abilities on these old machines!

There is a way to have sample playback without using full CPU or halting the action. It is IRQ based. Sheddy's Space Harrier does this. I'm not suggesting you implement this, just letting it be known. The implementation details are beyond my abilities on these old machines!

Unfortunately the 7800 has no internal interrupt source other than a DLI (and the BRK instruction). It does provide an IRQ line on the cartridge port though, and with any luck the XM module maybe will connect POKEYs IRQ line.

Edited by kenfused

If it can't do the voices 'live', which wouldn't be too unusual, considering, just have them at 'enter screen', 'run away', 'player dies', and 'game over' - each spots where the game is already effectively 'stopped' for the event.

Hi Guys!

Here is RC3:

- The 'Split Boss Witch' issue has been resolved.

- The 'Enemies not leaving the screen on the left' issue has also been resolved

- Fixed an issue with the Knight and Coyote's attack rarely shooting up the screen

- Changed the Boss Witch to be more difficult ( after level 1-8 ). Not saying what I did; you need to find out :twisted:

Enjoy!

Bob

Bentley.a78

Bentley.BIN

BentleyP.A78

BentleyP.BIN

• Like 2

Bob-had a chance to give this a try tonight...it is going to take some practice to get good at BB, but what amazing sound and graphics...this is going to be one great game!

FTFY ;)

My humble suggestion to anyone trying this - especially for the first time - is not to think "Super Mario Bros." mechanics when playing it. It doesn't really play that way. Think more "Hudson's Adventure Island"/"Wonder Boy" as the gameplay approach.

The final boss witch was a little *too* difficult. ;)

Wonderfully balanced now, Bob. Fantastic work! Final boss still the toughest part of the game but definitely more reasonable.

Amazing job as always!

I have visions of an Atari 7800 ProSystem box with the splash:

"Bentley Bear - Crystal Quest Game Cartridge INSIDE!"

Would love to see a Photoshop picture of the system box, removing the Pole Position II inclusion, and adding the above.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are a slew of technical and health issues in addition to losing a partner which left the final revision of the XM Expansion Module in limbo, the logic and physical design had to be reworked to a in between Rev 2 and Rev 3 (Rev 2.5). After finalized and tested units are completed and assembled. Curt is working to have all that accomplished, ASAP.

Following that, the pre-sale buyers will have their systems in-hand as well as additional XM Expansion Modules will be available for sale - more than enough to cover demand.