IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

I have every bob homebrew.

He truely is great at his craft.

They are better games than most of the origional 7800 releases.

I've purchased every title Bob's made and he's made me a huge fan of the 7800. He's THE reason I bought a 7800. Bob squeezes out the real potential out of the system better than any official release. Top notch stuff!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@Shawn Sr., Trebor, and Shannon. - :lolblue:

I believe Pokey chips are what's holding this game up. ;)

Bob

Hey there! This game is the greatest thing ever. I'm wondering if you could help me though, Bob. I have a new concerto cart and either version (XM or standard pokey) .a78 I put on there won't address the POKEY I have installed on the board. Is there a way to change the header for it? I say that like I honestly know what that means.... either way, playing this game without sound is still so good. I really can't believe what's been done here. Your body of work here on this concerto cart is just amazing.

Thank you :)

I actually haven't had the chance to try and put the game on a Concerto - I just received it recently (thanks!) I need to give it a try. I think the only way it would work is if it sees the Pokey at $450. Try this BIN: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/199637-work-in-progress-bentley-bear-crystal-quest/?p=2857155

Post 776 - you probably don't want the one with the 'P' on the end; that's the PAL version.

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

I actually haven't had the chance to try and put the game on a Concerto - I just received it recently (thanks!) I need to give it a try. I think the only way it would work is if it sees the Pokey at $450. Try this BIN: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/199637-work-in-progress-bentley-bear-crystal-quest/?p=2857155

Post 776 - you probably don't want the one with the 'P' on the end; that's the PAL version.

Bob

Aren't all 7800 POKEYs mapped the same way so far? Other than if one installed a second POKEY on an XBOARD?

Edited by Lynxpro

Depends on the board. CPUWIZ's VersaBoard can detect Pokey at quite a few addresses, so I move it to $450 to keep it out of the standard cart address area (i.e. $4000-$FFFF).

Normally, (with Atari's first party games, and some homebrews), the Pokey can sit at $4000 because the cartridge doesn't use that area. BBCQ does (for graphics).

The "$4000 Pokey" version of the game was ok in some emulators because the Pokey (for sound) is write only; the graphics were read only so they didn't conflict.

• Like 1

Bob

thanks -- I'll try this tonight. I know I've tried this .a78 already but I'll try the BIN.

Hmmm... If you've already tried that .a78 then never mind. I believe the Concerto needs the .a78 to know the banking scheme if I'm not mistaken. Maybe if you get to it before I do, try the one in the post directly below it (Post 777).

I need to get going with testing the Concerto. I apologize for it taking so long, as I have a few things going on at the moment.

Bob

Hmmm... If you've already tried that .a78 then never mind. I believe the Concerto needs the .a78 to know the banking scheme if I'm not mistaken. Maybe if you get to it before I do, try the one in the post directly below it (Post 777).

I need to get going with testing the Concerto. I apologize for it taking so long, as I have a few things going on at the moment.

Bob

oh goodness, not a problem, I've just been curious to hear the game! I have tried both sets of BINS and .a78s, with no luck. Had an issue like this earlier with commando on there but luckily wound up finding one with the appropriate header and it now works.

Hi Bob -

I had no idea you had posted works-in-progress files for Bentley Bear. I just tried the XM version (the one you linked above back in the earlier thread). I was using MAME 0.164 (with XM support files, as provided elsewhere by Trebor). Unfortunately, while it sounds great and the backgrounds look wonderful, there is no sprite Bentley Bear sprite. The "regular" version looks wonderful but of course there is no sound. Do you or anyone else have any idea what's going on?

I hate to ask you to do this, but until I can fool with it, can you give this one a try on the Concerto: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245418-bentley-bears-crystal-quest-complete-game/?p=3396182

It works in MESS, so I'm hoping the Concerto will see the header correctly as well.

Thanks,

Bob

I hate to ask you to do this, but until I can fool with it, can you give this one a try on the Concerto: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245418-bentley-bears-crystal-quest-complete-game/?p=3396182

It works in MESS, so I'm hoping the Concerto will see the header correctly as well.

Thanks,

Bob

No worries at all! I'll try it tonight when I'm home from the office (really gotta get my 7800 back here next to the desk...)