IGNORED

Atari 2600 Prototype game chips.. Any help?

findyourmonkey

Hey! Sorry, I know there is a forum for auctions, but I am not really promoting my auction. I am just posting it to help you help me.

I got 20 chips and a tester for an atari 2600 in a lot I bought. The guy said his friend's mom worked for Atari, and brought these home one day.. I am only posting my auction here so you can check out the picture (the computer I am on doesn't have the pictures on it).. I am pretty sure these are not bootlegs or homebrew, but I really don't know.. theres a lot of stuff going around.. The chips I have are:

Spider Fighter, Slot Racer, Sky Diver, Breakout, Demon Attack, River Raid, Frost Bite, Pac-Man, Sneek & Peek, I Want My Mommy, Skeet Shoot, Bezerk, Baseball, Q-Bert, Donkey Kong, Skiing, Bowling, Pitfall, Dragster, Night Driver, plus the tester

I only threw one up on ebay to see if i caught anyones interest, but someone suggested talking to you guys!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2907355132761?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item= 290735513276&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Thanks so much for any help!

"Prototype" sounds possibly dubious.

Why? You have games from at least 3 companies I can see there. Some from Atari, then Demon Attack (Imagic), Dragster (Activision)

Of course it's possible some or all could be prototypes and I'm sure plenty here would be interested in dumping them.

I'd say chances are that some of them are simply copies burnt to Eprom. Not a common occurrence in the day, but there were people that copied carts to Eprom and ran them either in devices like that, multi-switching ones, or selfmade cartridge boards.

Sorry, nothing too interesting there. What you got are pirated games from back in the day. If your friends mom worked at Atari then she probably had access to equipment to burn copies of games (or knew people who did), and that's exactly what you have. No prototypes I'm afraid.

Yay! A Response! You guys are fast :) The only reason that I put 'Prototype', is because I posted them on Craigslist in my area, mostly as a fact finding mission.. Most of the response I got were 'Nice collection of prototype testing chips', so I ran with it.. Definitely not trying to be sneaky or misleading, just kind of rolling with what I am hearing.. With that, I definitely assume that anyone who is in to this stuff, would know right away if I were trying to pass something off as being legit if it were not.. I hope, lol

Yay! A Response! You guys are fast :) The only reason that I put 'Prototype', is because I posted them on Craigslist in my area, mostly as a fact finding mission.. Most of the response I got were 'Nice collection of prototype testing chips', so I ran with it.. Definitely not trying to be sneaky or misleading, just kind of rolling with what I am hearing.. With that, I definitely assume that anyone who is in to this stuff, would know right away if I were trying to pass something off as being legit if it were not.. I hope, lol

Oh don't worry about it, this sort of thing pops up a lot.

That board is definitely homemade.

Oh don't worry about it, this sort of thing pops up a lot.

That board is definitely homemade.

Sooo, throw the whole lot up on eBay as 'pirated' starting at $5 and hope for the best?

Thanks again for all of your help.. Except for Benny.. your advice was useless.. I hit 120, and still nothing!

Is it just me or is the phrase "..his friend's mom worked for Atari, and brought these home one day.." becoming more and more frequently used these days?

Or perhaps everyone is buying these things from the same guy?

To be honest, it was the friend of a friend, so I don't actually know if anyone ever worked anywhere.. It's just what he told me when I bought the stuff.. But I would certainly agree..Way off topic, but my great great grandmother apparently was a 'native american princess'.. when i was telling this guy at a native american store about her one day, he said, 'let me guess, a native american princess?', and i said yea.. He then proceeded to let me know that it was what people said about their ancestors, when they were actually just whores.. same idea, wrong topic. lol Point is, I get what you are saying, but the guy just threw it into the lot.. It wasn't like he was trying to sell me something, so it seemed believable enough..

Is it just me or is the phrase "..his friend's mom worked for Atari, and brought these home one day.." becoming more and more frequently used these days?

To be honest, it was the friend of a friend, so I don't actually know if anyone ever worked anywhere.. It's just what he told me when I bought the stuff.. But I would certainly agree..Way off topic, but my great great grandmother apparently was a 'native american princess'.. when i was telling this guy at a native american store about her one day, he said, 'let me guess, a native american princess?', and i said yea.. He then proceeded to let me know that it was what people said about their ancestors, when they were actually just whores.. same idea, wrong topic. lol Point is, I get what you are saying, but the guy just threw it into the lot.. It wasn't like he was trying to sell me something, so it seemed believable enough..

This whole thread is heading in an epic direction...

Nah, it's just that his friends mom really got around.

• Like 1