IGNORED

Sega Saturn region mod switch

So I would like to mod my Sega Saturn to change region with a switch. I've looked a good bit and most of this is understood, but I'm missing something and I think its because I'm getting mixed information.

Does anyone have a good link to a walk through for this mod or know it well enough to help me get straight with this? I'm only interested in US/JP so I don't need to worry about PAL stuff.

From what I have seen the attached image should work. I'm still a bit lost on which of the pins is +5 and Ground but I'll work that out next.

In short there is way too much information out there that isn't matching up and I don't know what to follow anymore. For something that should be pretty simply they sure are adding a lot of complication to this.

post-26868-0-87299800-1340978212_thumb.jpg

Test this with a multimeter since there are several Saturn revisions out there, but this should help with Ground & 5V.

anloeten_versorgung.jpg

I used this guide to mod my saturn without adding external switches. It uses the Reset button & a 74157 (easily found in a Genesis controller). That guide seems to go hand-in-hand with this one.

It's been a while since I did the mod, but I did it according to those two links & it works great.

That 2nd link is the one I learned the most from. That information lead me to the understanding I have of how this works. With that said there is information there I don't understand.

For example, in the attached image, what is with the A B C D stuff? This just isn't explained very well.

Clearly I'm not smart enough to be trying to pull this off or this would all add up the way it is writen. Maybe I'm over thinking this or something. I have done more complex mods in the past with no issue but I'm not getting this.

They try to be helpful with diagrams, but I agree, they're more confusing than helpful. Maybe I can crack my Saturn open later & take photos, if you haven't figured it out by then.

The idea that they're failing to convey with diagrams is that if you want JPN region, you connect one pair of points to ground & 5V, and if you want USA region, you connect this OTHER pair of points.

Don't bother cracking open your system man. Thank you for the offer but I'll get this right without you having to get into all that. When it comes right down to it I have more then one Saturn. I would hate to kill one, but I think I have the right idea, just trying to be 100% on that before I try it. I'll live either way. I'll let you know something when I get this done, should be tomorrow afternoon when I get it done up.