IGNORED

Degz - new game released for Jaguar

sh3-rg

i was promptly banned for "hacking" because apparently visiting the site using two different ip addresses...

That bit made me chuckle :lol:

As for Degz, I'd love to hear how people are getting on trying to make it through the tunnels towards the end. The only time I've been able to do it is when I play with (practically) infinite lives and get to try over and over and over... I think I need to try some different jagpads, the one I'm using now is the kind with a thin black cable and black numberpad keys... I'll see if I have better luck with the dozens of others I have in the bunker. And it really is a lot easier with a usb pad and Virtual Jaguar!

• Like 1

As for Degz, I'd love to hear how people are getting on trying to make it through the tunnels towards the end. The only time I've been able to do it is when I play with (practically) infinite lives and get to try over and over and over... I think I need to try some different jagpads, the one I'm using now is the kind with a thin black cable and black numberpad keys... I'll see if I have better luck with the dozens of others I have in the bunker. And it really is a lot easier with a usb pad and Virtual Jaguar!

I've still not played it on real hardware! I can get through the tunnels around 33% of the time using the cursor keys (And its a lot easier since we relaxed the collision detection! It was *harsh* when it was pixel accurate!)

• Like 2

The tunnels are definitely doable, but take some practice. The key is to keep your ship as forward as possible so you can give yourself room to back up when needed while trying to navigate through them. Even then, I'm only able to make it through about once every three games.

Playing on real hardware (with a black buttoned pad) I found it impossible to get past the invincible "ghosts" (or whatever they're meant to be) on the 3rd stage. But then I must admit I didn't have a huge amount of time to play. The autofire version is very welcome, and the easter egg is awesome.

Nice work guys, as ever.

Playing on real hardware (with a black buttoned pad) I found it impossible to get past the invincible "ghosts" (or whatever they're meant to be) on the 3rd stage.
meteors, dude... meteors.

Also it might be my dodgy hand-made A/V cable, but I could only get sound out of the right channel. Is the game actually mono, or do I have to repair my cable?
It's stereo - sfx will come out of left and right channels independently, music through both.
  • Like 1

Also it might be my dodgy hand-made A/V cable, but I could only get sound out of the right channel. Is the game actually mono, or do I have to repair my cable?
It's stereo - sfx will come out of left and right channels independently, music through both.

Damn... I guess I'll have to have a poke at my cable then... Still, it's served me a couple of years which isn't bad for a length of ribbon cable.

Damn... I guess I'll have to have a poke at my cable then... Still, it's served me a couple of years which isn't bad for a length of ribbon cable.

I had this exact issue when working on coding the SE, spent about 30 minutes trying to debug the problem in the code, was going nowhere.. eventually bothered to check, and it was the SCART plug wasn't quite seated correctly in the back of the TV!!!!! So maybe worth as Mr 3 suggests, giving that a waggle... I did utter a magical combination of expletives also, but I am not sure how much they added to the restoration of audio :D

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to try out these homebrew games, I tried getting Virtual Jag to work on my PC with Win 7 and it goes slower than molasses!

I tried this link:

http://icculus.org/virtualjaguar/tarballs/vj-r419.zip

and that one goes soo slow!

Is there any link for a Win7 friendly version that actually goes the speed of the hardware? My laptop is over 2 years old. but has 500 GB HD and 4 Gig of RAM, SONY VAIO

Is there any link for a Win7 friendly version that actually goes the speed of the hardware? My laptop is over 2 years old. but has 500 GB HD and 4 Gig of RAM, SONY VAIO

Doesn't matter how big your HDD is or how much ram you have, it's how much grunt per single core of your processor that will count for older builds.

I think I posted a link in this thread or somewhere else recently. There's a link from the Reboot site anyway to Linko's build bunker:

http://outrage.the-crow.co.uk/builds/

There you can find the latest (dll-free) builds from the svn revisions, where you get the benefit of Shamus' recent work. These builds run mostly 100% on my aging desktop, instead of one core getting hammered, two are sharing the fun and all is well.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 1

I think I posted a link in this thread or somewhere else recently. There's a link from the Reboot site anyway to Linko's build bunker:

http://outrage.the-crow.co.uk/builds/

There you can find the latest (dll-free) builds from the svn revisions, where you get the benefit of Shamus' recent work. These builds run mostly 100% on my aging desktop, instead of one core getting hammered, two are sharing the fun and all is well.

And just to make it crystal clear: Those builds should be used with CAUTION as they're not official releases! If it works for you then hooray! If not, well, wait for the next build!

• Like 1

And just to make it crystal clear: Those builds should be used with CAUTION as they're not official releases! If it works for you then hooray! If not, well, wait for the next build!

Yes, that's a good point - those aren't official versions, just builds of the latest state at the time - some stuff might work better, some might be broken... but mostly it'll be faster ;-)

• Like 1

I installed the new build in a different directory, the one uploaded today. Whenever I hit 'configure' it crashes.

These builds are all experimental so expect the unexpected. In fact, stay away from anything that doesn't have a vj-r prefix as it's probably not for public consumption.

• Like 1