IGNORED

Degz - new game released for Jaguar

sh3-rg

Looks like the RGCD site had a very positive review about Degz: http://www.rgcd.co.u...ari-jaguar.html

Interestingly, also posted the same day is a review of the Amiga version of Downfall from the same reviewer. He liked that as well (and his other half did, too - not an uncommon comment to hear WAGs & offspring enjoy the game). So just to recap where Downfall is concerned (yes, wrong thread, sorry, I'm not bumping the DF thread for this), that's the Jaguar version, Falcon port, Amiga version, two Atari 8-bit versions (simonl's unreleased one and one that looks amazing and one that beat 6 other games to win at a coding party in Poland earlier this year), one for PC (DownFall - Down To Hell) and one for Tandy CoCo (Fahrfall - linville even designed a special controller for it). Haven't spotted any more yet but I hope Herbs64 realises what he started, I know CJ does ;-) The game must have some redeeming qualities to inspire such activity. :lol:

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 4

Looks like the RGCD site had a very positive review about Degz: http://www.rgcd.co.u...ari-jaguar.html

Interestingly, also posted the same day is a review of the Amiga version of Downfall from the same reviewer. He liked that as well (and his other half did, too - not an uncommon comment to hear WAGs & offspring enjoy the game). So just to recap where Downfall is concerned (yes, wrong thread, sorry, I'm not bumping the DF thread for this), that's the Jaguar version, Falcon port, Amiga version, two Atari 8-bit versions (simonl's unreleased one and one that looks amazing and one that beat 6 other games to win at a coding party in Poland earlier this year), one for PC (DownFall - Down To Hell) and one for Tandy CoCo (Fahrfall - linville even designed a special controller for it). Haven't spotted any more yet but I hope Herbs64 realises what he started, I know CJ does ;-) The game must have some redeeming qualities to inspire such activity. :lol:

In a related way, don't forget Llamasoft's "Goat Up" for the iPad series, and the 2600's "Man Goes Down".

In a related way, don't forget Llamasoft's "Goat Up" for the iPad series, and the 2600's "Man Goes Down".

Yep, Herbs 64 is the guy who made MGD, mentioned above. Dunno if Minter played any of those before making Goat Up, or if he played Time Pilot/KM before making 5 a day :P

I started making a Downfall Family Tree, but had difficulty finding any info on the game(s) that inspired Man Goes Down, and I didn't want to do it half-arsed.

Yep, Herbs 64 is the guy who made MGD, mentioned above. Dunno if Minter played any of those before making Goat Up, or if he played Time Pilot/KM before making 5 a day :P

I remember reading Minter's twitter feed while he was making goatup about having played MGD. IIRC I even sent him a link of Downfall :)

• Like 2

I remember reading Minter's twitter feed while he was making goatup about having played MGD. IIRC I even sent him a link of Downfall :)

Yes, in fact he cites Man Goes Down as being the primary influence on GoatUp.

Great, that's going in the family tree.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This was and is a lot of fun. I have this loaded on my Skunkboard. I never got much into Scramble, but this does remind me of Super Cobra which I used to play on the Atari 400 for hours. :)

Super Cobra was based on the same code as Scramble with only minor alterations

I think I played a preview version at AC2012, but now I just tested the final one and it's a really great and very fun game !

and well polished as always with reboot's guys ;)

nyan easter egg is t3h ultimate extra bonus !

who needs 64bits when you got fun ?

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Unsatisfied with how YouTube mangles our 60fps video, we're looking to use something else as well as YT to display short videos of our games.

This is the YouTube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUXEWIsayaY

This is the first alternative solution we're trying, you'll have to follow the link to the dbug site and start the player there (wish I could drop it into this post but I don't think it's doable... and excuse the picture, GGN is poking fun at me :P ):

http://dbug.kicks-as...playa/test.html

Any feedback would be handy, especially including the spec of your hardware and the theoretical max speed of your connection. Cheers!

• Like 3

Though on my connection it buffers and stutters like no tomorrow.

OK, that's the kind of feedback we need, cheers. Hopefully we can adjust some settings and make it buffer up a good chunk before it starts to play.

Sometimes I fire up the YouTube video just to rock the soundtrack.

Here's 5o5's excellent "reshoot" mod that he made for the game, there are some nice subtle echos and other things that really shine through on a PC tracker

EDIT: Here's Degz @ 60fps at capped.tv - I think we'll be using this in future:

http://capped.tv/reboot-degz

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I was playing Degz last night on my Skunk for about an hour. After looking through this thread I just discovered that there is a hidden Easter egg that I'll have to check out tonight when I get home.

Good job guys - this is a a great update to a classic 80s arcade game!

• Like 2