IGNORED

130XE With Bad RAM?

@fortunateson

As an alternative to Sloopy's suggestions, If you can wait about 2 weeks for the sockets:

10 x sockets ($0.19/each with free shipping): eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2508656070651?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250865607065&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

9 x 41256 RAM ($0.77/each with $1.95 USA shipping): eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2610603291191?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=261060329119&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

My dealings with Far East based sellers were 99% satisfactory....

Edited by atari8warez

• 4 weeks later...

For those who are concerned with damaging a 130XE circuit board when de-soldering defective RAM chips I found this web-page about a patent for upgrading memory boards which leaves 4164 chips in place but disconnected from power. This was to save companies upgrading ISA PC memory cards from de-soldering the original 4164 chips.

Their method is to just cut pin 8(VCC) of a 4164 off close to the chip body, insert an insulator to prevent a possible connection between the chip and VCC, then solder a 41256 on top of the 4164 connecting all 16 pins.

This may not look as nice as removing the original RAM chips, but will save a lot of time and eliminate the risk of damaging the circuit board.

• 2 years later...

I have a similar issue with a 130XE. I have some red blocks of bad ram. Unfortunately I purchased the unit un-tested and this is what found out after the fact. I would be willing to pay for someone to repair it for me as I didn't pay much for the unit. I don't like to give up on systems so easily. I'd rather have a working unit. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a similar issue with a 130XE. I have some red blocks of bad ram. Unfortunately I purchased the unit un-tested and this is what found out after the fact. I would be willing to pay for someone to repair it for me as I didn't pay much for the unit. I don't like to give up on systems so easily. I'd rather have a working unit. Any help would be appreciated.

See your PM box...

• 2 years later...

Hi.

I want to share my experience also about this.

Before two days I decided to check two Atari 800XL, purchased before 8 months from eBay UK. Seller sold these "as is", without many details.

One of them had the exact same picture as in the first post here. During power up, Atari boot directly to the diagnostic menu showing the red blocks. Manufacturer of the rams was the MT.

So I remove from the board all the 8 rams, and place there 8 dil sockets. First I use the 8 rams of my good working 1200XL. This was the easiest way, because on 1200XL all the ic's placed in sockets from the factory! :-D

Then the 800XL start with blue "Basic" screen without any problem.

After I started to replace one by one the good rams with the previous extracted ones, till I finally found the culprit. Was only one from the total eight rams, and did all the the rest to look like bad!

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, Gavin1968 said:

Hello, I have a 130 that someone did this upgrade to, however the pin 1's of the base chips are not jumped as is shown, do I need to do this?

If the left column's 8 chips for the base 64K is still 4164's then it's not required. If the 2nd column's 8 chips for the extended banks has 41256's, but it's only setup for 64K extended so far and not 256 (for 320 total) then it will be required for those...

6 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

64K is still 4164's then

Yes they are the 4164's on the left bank. Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure this was done correctly.  Is there a way to test the extended memory amount to verify it is all there and working?