IGNORED

ICADE?...anybody try this thing out?

I have an iPhone right now and was wondering if I could use it with that? If so I'd grab one and if it impressed me enough, I'd buy an iPad in short order.

There is a website that lists all the compatible games with it (icade.com I think?) and there is a nice list of retro goodness on there too.

I have an icade, played about 3 to 5 time then never touch it again

Controls are not that good...... Better spend money making your own mame barcade imo

I was thinking this would be the case; probably good enough for your 'hey, that's kinda cool' crowd. I didn't figure the controls could be very good (I'm not impressed with the quality of Jakks plug n' plays so I figured this would be about the same due to price). They didn't have a model available to try out, so I think I'll pass.

I have an icade, played about 3 to 5 time then never touch it again

Controls are not that good...... Better spend money making your own mame barcade imo

I was thinking this would be the case; probably good enough for your 'hey, that's kinda cool' crowd. I didn't figure the controls could be very good (I'm not impressed with the quality of Jakks plug n' plays so I figured this would be about the same due to price). They didn't have a model available to try out, so I think I'll pass.

Joystick is clunky... Buttons are oval and also weird clicking sound/feel

Looks kinda interesting but I don't own an Ipad, soooo...I'm pretty picky about controllers, so I doubt this stick n' button combo will do anything for me, but the concept is kinda cool.

What do you guys think? It's on sale at the local Future Shop.

I have one, like it a lot. Some games work quite well with it, some don't - I suspect the ones that don't are due to programming issues and not the iCade itself. I was lucky enough to get iMAME when it was in the App Store.

If you use the Search box in the top-right corner you'll find 50 topics that reference the iCade.

I have an iPhone right now and was wondering if I could use it with that?

Yes, it will work with the iPhone. They're coming out with some new versions, 2 of them specifically sized for the phone. I'm looking forward to the iCade 8-Bitty that's listed over at Think Geek.

There is a website that lists all the compatible games with it (icade.com I think?) and there is a nice list of retro goodness on there too.

http://www.ionaudio....cts/icade-games

I was close to buying an arcade cab with a jamma rig so I had to act fast. I purchased an iCade and used iPad.

Controls are sketchy and never feel right. Don't expect to play Street Fighter II well on this thing. Your mileage may vary on getting your favorite game downloaded and working.

Did it curb my arcade cab hunger? Yes. Is it a perfect solution? No.

My next move is to find an LCD panel that fits so I can use a PC.

Edited by theloon

My iCade doesnt get much play with my Android device - it works fine and is neat. It will work with an iPhone - I got the Midway Classics app and hooked it up to the iCade and it played fine.

I got mine for $40 on clearance and its worth that price - I think they wanted $150 originally which is not worth it IMHO.

Don't expect to play Street Fighter II well on this thing.

SF2 controls perfectly on the iCade. Are you properly setting the controller to 4-way in iMame?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like my word is definitive. To me the controls are off enough to effect my gameplay. I have yet to try Wiimote support as an alternative. I bought a third party Wiimote and it wouldn't sync up.

Edited by theloon

I came very close to buying the display model at SAMs Club, marked down to $35 or something like that. Then I thought the display model is the one everyone jiggled & messed with in the store as they went by.

But for $20 bucks at Kohls, it might be fun.

It's a novel idea but it's too bad the controls feel so cheap compared to real arcade controls.

I have to imagine playing 4-way games like Pac-Man, Nibbler, and DK would be frustrating.

Also, arcade games with joysticks tend to make for pretty intense physical movements. I can't even imagine playing a game like Bosconian on that thing--I'd probably inadvertently whip it across the room.

It is nice looking... I like the older model more than the newer because it had more of a late 70's early/80's feel to the art.

It's a bluetooth keyboard, essentially, so it works with anything, but there is a not-so-slight delay. OK for some games, too much for others. Pac-Man is OK because you're mostly waiting to get to a turn, but something where fast response is needed (like Galaga) is frustrating.

Edited by R.Cade

It is nice looking... I like the older model more than the newer because it had more of a late 70's early/80's feel to the art.

It's a bluetooth keyboard, essentially, so it works with anything, but there is a not-so-slight delay. OK for some games, too much for others. Pac-Man is OK because you're mostly waiting to get to a turn, but something where fast response is needed (like Galaga) is frustrating.

Really? There's a lag that is detectable?

Ok, if that's the case then the product is completely useless as far as I'm concerned.

I got mine last Xmas for about $50 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. With iMAME it is totally worth that price. I don't notice any lag, and it's a hell of a lot of fun playing portrait-mode games in, well, portrait mode. I just heard that the iOS Midway collection is now compatible with iCADE in case you missed out on iMAME.

...wow, this dude has a face?...lol.

Interesting review, but I can sense the lag simply from watching this video. Even when playing Frogger you can see it have that split-second lag. I guess most won't notice, but that side-scrolling shooter also shows the lag. Very cool idea, ultimately....but all I'd want to do is figure out how to make this thing with legit parts, MAME cab and smaller monitor!...lol.