IGNORED

Dig Dug variants

I recently bought a SIO2SD device from Poland, and on it was a game with the intriguing name of "Dig Dug -- prototype". I was formerly familiar only with Atari's release with the unicolor pookas and fygars, and thought this version to largely be an improvement. I understand that there was a commercial release with the 'improved' graphics, but my 'prototype' version also has a graphic title that doesn't seem to appear on the 'improved' release. Does anyone know if there was a further commercial release that featured the 'improved' graphics and had the graphic title?

I recently bought a SIO2SD device from Poland, and on it was a game with the intriguing name of "Dig Dug -- prototype". I was formerly familiar only with Atari's release with the unicolor pookas and fygars, and thought this version to largely be an improvement. I understand that there was a commercial release with the 'improved' graphics, but my 'prototype' version also has a graphic title that doesn't seem to appear on the 'improved' release. Does anyone know if there was a further commercial release that featured the 'improved' graphics and had the graphic title?

Damn, changed my reply, the 1982 seems to be the proto iirc, the 83 version was what came out I think, or is it the other way around?

For the life of me I can't remember the cartridge despite owning 6 or so of them (we had a sale so I stocked up)

Edited by Mclaneinc

It's one of those games where the 5200 release was different to the computer one.

Then they re-released it on the computer using the 5200 version.

And apparently there was an early release of the computer version, so that makes 3. Throw in the possibility that the 5200 version was cracked and ported over and that could make 4.

I don't have the DataSoft version of Dig Dug -- does anyone know if that version has any differences between it and the Atari release with the 'rudimentary' graphics? There are some differences between the DataSoft and Atari versions of Pole Position -- if I'm remembering this correctly -- and it would be interesting to see if they made any variations to Dig Dug as well.

I don't have the DataSoft version of Dig Dug -- does anyone know if that version has any differences between it and the Atari release with the 'rudimentary' graphics? There are some differences between the DataSoft and Atari versions of Pole Position -- if I'm remembering this correctly -- and it would be interesting to see if they made any variations to Dig Dug as well.

Here are some variations that I have Downloaded over the years.

Dig Dug.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Please look carefully. If you has the original Atari XEGS Box and look closer to "Dig-Dug". THAT EXACTLY I USED TO PLAY ON Brown label of Dig-Dug Cartridge. I lost the original cartridge when I was a kid (8 years old).

Possibly it is prototype ??? My mother brought the same cartridge in Singapore when we were there in 1984.

post-29380-0-50499500-1341980788_thumb.jpg

post-29380-0-57940100-1341980819_thumb.jpg

Dig-dug is one of my favorite games of all-time. I was only aware of 1 computer version and 1 5200 version (better). What a Dig-dug education you guys have given me here! Thank you!!

BTW: Does anybody else think the one built into the old Jakks/Namco stick is difficult? The enemies move FAST on this version!!! It's a challenge for the seasoned player.

NamcoPlugNPlay-h450.png

Dig-dug is one of my favorite games of all-time. I was only aware of 1 computer version and 1 5200 version (better). What a Dig-dug education you guys have given me here! Thank you!!

BTW: Does anybody else think the one built into the old Jakks/Namco stick is difficult? The enemies move FAST on this version!!! It's a challenge for the seasoned player.

NamcoPlugNPlay-h450.png

Those namco sticks make great 4 way Atari joysticks for pac-man :)

Here's an attempt by me to correct the perspective (and adjusting the brightness levels down)

Now, I have no programming experience for the XL/XE, but this is my impression from what I know of the hardware.

The background looks doable, as there's only two colors on a given scanline. The player looks like it's drawn using two doublewidth sprites. The enemies however are too detailed and have too many colors.

post-27676-0-01484100-1342536421_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phredreeke

We played the A8 and 5200 ver Dig Dugs' in the 8-bit HSC last year; if anyone does some work on this think the games could do with some more board variety and less extra lives after a certain point - think the top players ended up retiring (checkout the link for comments) :)