IGNORED

wow, Congo Bongo

high voltage

Great comparisons. I never got into Congo Bongo...wasn't the game for me, I guess.

I remember the original stand-up arcade machine. It was this large garish affair, smelled like new plastic and window cleaner, if I recall correctly it had this big plastic-molded joystick. The graphics were just amazing at the time. The gameplay succeeded very well in the arcade machine. All the home versions are basically echoes, some good in their own right, the 2600/Video Arcade effort astounding in a solid attempt to capture a 3D isometric game that's its hardware could not ever be reasonably be expected to do. But no home version (I've watched online video of the others) really captures the Congo Bongo arcade machine experience.

Gorf and Tron were other arcade machines that were just awesome to stand at and gawk at the lavish cabinet and lights and hold on for dear life to an oversized plastic joystick. In the case of Gorf though, several of those home ports are entirely successful, including the 2600/Video Arcade version and the Atari 8bit version, and that's something I don't say about Congo Bongo ports.

I remember the original stand-up arcade machine. It was this large garish affair, smelled like new plastic and window cleaner, if I recall correctly it had this big plastic-molded joystick. The graphics were just amazing at the time. The gameplay succeeded very well in the arcade machine. All the home versions are basically echoes, some good in their own right, the 2600/Video Arcade effort astounding in a solid attempt to capture a 3D isometric game that's its hardware could not ever be reasonably be expected to do. But no home version (I've watched online video of the others) really captures the Congo Bongo arcade machine experience.

Gorf and Tron were other arcade machines that were just awesome to stand at and gawk at the lavish cabinet and lights and hold on for dear life to an oversized plastic joystick. In the case of Gorf though, several of those home ports are entirely successful, including the 2600/Video Arcade version and the Atari 8bit version, and that's something I don't say about Congo Bongo ports.

Dedicated Congo Bongo machines actually didn't have the oversized joystick that you seem to be describing, although perhaps you saw a converted Zaxxon or Super Zaxxon machine?

I liked the game for its complex level design and challenge, Also the When you die music always crackes me up no matter what system it was on.

Accroding to Wikipedia for those wanting a console version of the arcade; An emulated version of the original arcade release is featured as an unlockable in the PlayStation Portable version of the Sega Genesis Collection (Sega Mega Drive Collection in PAL regions). This version was also featured in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection in PAL regions) for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Recently, an enhanced remake was released for the PlayStation 2 under the Sega Ages label as Sega Ages 2500 Vol 23: Sega Memorial Collection.

I think we'd ALL prefer the arcade version. I can't think of a VCS game that is superior to its arcade counterpart.

I actually do prefer a few VCS ports to the original: Q*Bert for example. Also Vanguard and Space Invaders ! I don't know about saying that they "are superior," but I definitely enjoy these three better than the arcade versions.

I have to say that I definitely like Congo Bongo VCS ! The first few times I tried it, I thought, what a crappy game, and passed it off as a cheap poorly programmed DK ripoff, while attempting the iso view. Just a few months ago though, I started playing it and actually figured out how to play & got hooked! It still hooks me as the difficulty increases, despite its repetitiveness. And yeah, that cut scene is good, it makes me want to keep getting back to it!!! I do like Crystal Castles a bit better, but I would definitely recommend Congo Bongo!

I had and played the heck out of the 5200 version, which I enjoyed, but due to game design and the controllers, found frustrating!

Much like Kangaroo, I have a soft spot for this game ... it wasn't until the '90s when I realized how much the Colecovision one beat the 5200, at least in graphics - I wonder why? Was the 5200 version a rush release?

As for the 2600, I saw that one even later!

Have to say, the Intellivision edition looks good!

Many 5200 releases were just straight ports of older Atari 8-bit releases, they were lazy and didn't bother to make improvements. On the other hand, most ColecoVision titles were built from scratch so from the start they were trying to maximize the potential of the hardware.

Witness the much superior Pac-Man prototype on Coleco vs. the 5200 Pac-Man.

Many 5200 releases were just straight ports of older Atari 8-bit releases, they were lazy and didn't bother to make improvements. On the other hand, most ColecoVision titles were built from scratch so from the start they were trying to maximize the potential of the hardware.

Witness the much superior Pac-Man prototype on Coleco vs. the 5200 Pac-Man.

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison though. The 5200 and 8-bit were 99% the exact same machine, just with a slightly different BIOS and a different controller. A second button and keypad were about the only improvements. It only stands to reason that they would make the games exactly the same between the two systems.

Did this game ship with the poster/stickers to record levels of achievement, like Tac Scan and Sub Scan?

The copy I have just has a booklet inside with instructions on one side and a mini-catalog of Sega games on the other. I'm left wondering if this equals a completed copy or not.

Put another way, did any other Sega titles come with the "Performance Tracking" poster/sticker combo besides Tac Scan and Sub Scan?

The copy I have just has a booklet inside with instructions on one side and a mini-catalog of Sega games on the other. I'm left wondering if this equals a completed copy or not.

Yes, that's all it came with, unless you want to count the registration card (which was not specific to the game).

Put another way, did any other Sega titles come with the "Performance Tracking" poster/sticker combo besides Tac Scan and Sub Scan?

No, they were the only ones, and the patches mentioned on the back those cards are not believed to exist. No one has ever come forward with one (or claimed to have ever had one) that I'm aware of.

• Like 1