IGNORED

wow, Congo Bongo

high voltage

I guess your mileage varies with this game - as I've seen the opinions and reactions thereto (my own included).

I stand by what I said before that I don't like the Atari 2600 port. Only two screens? It should have just been called "Bongo" because you were getting half the game.

In fact, most of the ports of this game were criticized as being weak.

I never played, or saw anyone else play, Congo Bongo in the arcade, just seen screenshots in magazines. I always thought the 2600 version looks awful compared to the arcade game, and whenever I tried to play it I couldn't even complete the first screen-- couldn't even figure out how to complete it-- so naturally I thought the game stinks.

I just tried it again and, after several failures, was finally able to figure out how to complete the first screen. I didn't see the "cut scene" people mentioned-- but then, I wouldn't know what it's supposed to look like, so maybe I saw it and didn't know it, I just know I didn't see any ape getting set on fire. Am I supposed to set him on fire? I thought a "cut scene" was where you couldn't do anything except watch the scene and wait for it to be over so you could get on with the next part of the game?

I'll definitely keep at this game, now that I've figured out how to complete the first screen!

You've only completed 1 out of 2 screens yet are wondering where's the cut scene? :P Protip: Complete the 2nd :lol:

As to it being a DK rip off, of course it is. It's no secret it's a mix of Zaxxon with DK and was known from the get-go. Just as Gyruss is Galaga mixed with Tempest. :lol:

• Like 1

What an excellent game. Bit flickery, quite difficult, but very enjoyable. And the music is awesome.

A "bit" flickery? I'd rather play a Tiger LCD version, then at least you'd know where those teleporting coconuts are actually supposed to be.

• Like 1

Only two screens? It should have just been called "Bongo" because you were getting half the game.

Jesus, if you're going to keep quoting from my review you can at least give me some credit.

http://www.atariprot.../congobongo.htm

Cool! You're the guy from the Atari Protos page? I love that page. Can't wait for more updates.

The 2600 version is fine if you look at it for what it is: the company's back then weren't going to say no to the money that people would gladly shell out for such a (let's be honest) inferior arcade port. But for a 2600 game, it's good. For instance, I still prefer Bump n Jump on the 2600 over any other version...not because it's like the arcade (and I did play and enjoy the CV version way back when) but there's just something fun about playing it. Gyruss is kinda the same way.

I'm the same way with Millipede. I have the arcade version on an Atari arcade hits CD (can't remember the exact name), and of course that's the truest version there is-- but I love the 2600 version best. It certainly can't compete in the graphics department, but it's so much fun to play-- and I actually prefer to play it with the Atari joystick! I can't play nearly as well on the arcade version using a trackball controller.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I read somewhere that Sega actually programmed all (or nearly all) the home ports for Congo Bongo as well, as opposed to licensing them out as they did for Zaxxon. Not sure why.

Actually, none of the Congo Bongo ports were done in-house, so I'm not sure where you heard that. Most of the early Sega titles were contracted out and this one was no exception.

Surprised that the SMS/Mark III didn't get a version, but I guess they thought people could just play the SG-1000 version if they wanted.

Safe to say that Sega considered it ancient history at that point...I can't imagine why they'd port it over again. Other than the 3-D update to Zaxxon, no other pre-crash Sega arcade title made it to the SMS/Mark III that I can think of.

I really like in the 2600 version, that the hunter sets Congo bongo completely on fire when he catches him. It's like he's saying... I've had enough of his crap, so buuuuurn!!!

I believe that also happens in the Intellivision and Colecovision versions. Actually it DOES happen the Atari 8-bit/5200 version, it's just that there's no separate screen for it. If you look closely you'll see a little fire and Congo Bongo looking surprised.

Actually, none of the Congo Bongo ports were done in-house, so I'm not sure where you heard that. Most of the early Sega titles were contracted out and this one was no exception.

Safe to say that Sega considered it ancient history at that point...I can't imagine why they'd port it over again. Other than the 3-D update to Zaxxon, no other pre-crash Sega arcade title made it to the SMS/Mark III that I can think of.

Well, I most definitely read it somewhere, but now I can't remember where. I will try to find it again.

Millipede!

I'm the same way with Millipede. I have the arcade version on an Atari arcade hits CD (can't remember the exact name), and of course that's the truest version there is-- but I love the 2600 version best. It certainly can't compete in the graphics department, but it's so much fun to play-- and I actually prefer to play it with the Atari joystick! I can't play nearly as well on the arcade version using a trackball controller.

I have been saying that exact same thing since I discovered 2600 millipede. :thumbsup:

Well, I most definitely read it somewhere, but now I can't remember where. I will try to find it again.

Fair enough, but most of the information you read on the internet is dubious (as I'm sure you know). It's just not correct, regardless of where you read it. On the other hand, most (but not all) of the Star Trek ports were done in-house at Sega.

space invaders on the 2600 was better , specifically because of all the cool variants.

Definitely.

Put me on the list that thinks Congo Bongo is cool.

I like the game, and I think most of the ports are not nearly as bad as people say considering the hardware. The VIC-20 version is probably the worst of the bunch...it looks pretty bad and it's pretty buggy (issues with controls, collision detection, etc). I don't know why they even bothered releasing that one.

I snagged a copy of this at an antique show or something of the sort about a decade ago, and was really impressed; I feel like it pushes the limits of what was done in terms of arcade porting to 2600 much moreso than most games of the time. Of course the arcade version is better; that's the case with pretty much every game, ever, especially of this generation. That said, I feel like it comes closer to the look of the arcade version than most 2600 games do, which is especially impressive considering the 3/4 isometric view. Crystal Castles (another personal favorite) does the same thing, at least as well, but doesn't really look as good.

Congo Bongo is one of those games that, sadly, NEVER got a good home port. I keep hoping that Sega will add the game to XBox Live so I can play the original and superior arcade version.

The arcade version was included as an unlockable in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for Xbox 360.

It's a bit of a frustrating game that can make you dislike it and write it off immediately. Hard to telll sometimes where you are in relation to stuff that's trying to kill you or you have to jump on. But I just fired it up and after a few resets was able to complete levels 1 and 2 without dying. The key is not to just blindy race up the mountain or start jumping around the river level. Patience.

Kinda sick that you set a monkey on fire when you win. Didn't he just get a "hot foot" in the arcade.

Ok, maybe not quite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dok9ahpSacc

... The C64, which is also roughly equivalent in power to the CV and SG, had at least two versions (possibly three) with the isometric perspective.

The only one I remember playing back in the day was the 1983 Sega port for the C64.

They made another (better) version couple years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG01_Z1jmik

http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=1638

ps. 2600 version was really good for its time!

I had and played the heck out of the 5200 version, which I enjoyed, but due to game design and the controllers, found frustrating!

Much like Kangaroo, I have a soft spot for this game ... it wasn't until the '90s when I realized how much the Colecovision one beat the 5200, at least in graphics - I wonder why? Was the 5200 version a rush release?

As for the 2600, I saw that one even later!

Have to say, the Intellivision edition looks good!

For some reason I had a soft spot for the 8-bit version as well as a kid (on my Atari 400). It certainly wasn't the best game, but it was different and I liked that. I just wish they had added the wooden planks screen to that version for more variety as the two screens got old pretty fast (the rhino screen always annoyed me so that one could stay out).