IGNORED

Interest check - Pac-man Arcade for the 5200

tep392

The start button (fire button to start) isn't working for me (currently). I even tried plugging in a controller to port 2, and I hit every button on both controllers several times :P

The Pac-Man Arcade rom on my multi-cart, however, *does* start.

Anyone else having this issue? Just curious.

I might try hooking in my trackball, see if that will start it.

I'm assuming the cart and the rom are the same? You didn't add more features to the cart, correct?

This issue is occurring on my s-video/composite video modded Atari 5200.

Edited by KAZ

The start button (fire button to start) isn't working for me (currently). I even tried plugging in a controller to port 2, and I hit every button on both controllers several times :P

The Pac-Man Arcade rom on my multi-cart, however, *does* start.

Anyone else having this issue? Just curious.

I might try hooking in my trackball, see if that will start it.

I'm assuming the cart and the rom are the same? You didn't add more features to the cart, correct?

This issue is occurring on my s-video/composite video modded Atari 5200.

The start button, not the fire button, will start the game. I tested every cart on my system and the start button works fine.

I checked the code after you PM'd me. The volumes for sfx and music are the same as the version I did for 400/800. Intro and Intermission are indeed louder. I'm not sure why I did it that way. Back in 2012 when people were play testing, I tweaked some of the sound effects volumes based on the feedback I received. I didn't get any negative feedback about the music volume though. I won't be making any changes now. It is what it is.

To start the actual game, I press START. The fire button only lets me out of the fancy graphics screen and onto the PAC-MAN title screen. I assume that is the way it's supposed to be.

Yes, that's what is supposed to happen. I thought you mean't you were starting a round with the fire button. The only place I read the fire button is the splash screen when the cart is booted. The lower fire button for stick 1 or 2 will exit that screen.

I got mine yesterday and it plays great. I just need to get new controllers because I'm at the point where I'm gonna run my head into a wall with the default 5200 ones. Anyways its all working fine for me also. As someone else said,fire button takes you out of the splash screen,start button begins the game. Thanks Tep392 for making an awesome version,really beautiful work.

Btw- can someone recommend a website that rebuilds 5200 pads? Or atleast adds a real arcade style joystick to these rotten ones? I have a redemption put away but its 50 miles away in storage,meh.

• Like 1

Invest in a newly refurbished 5200 controller from Best.

Also, with games like Pac-Man, I'd seriously try to find a Coin Controls Competition Pro. It's the best digital stick one can own for the 5200 IMO.

Update: I solved the issue (see below)

Ok, I just tried the most recent rom on this thread, and it doesn't start either.

However, THIS one does...it appears to be an older version of this pac-man arcade.

Can you determine what is different about the two roms?

The one I'm attaching (below) starts immediately when I hit start (it gets past the 'press fire' to continue screen).

Please help :)

Update: I solved the issue!

Pacman Arcade Demo V2.bin

Edited by KAZ

Update!

I just solved the issue! :)

I was using refurbished controllers (and they don't work for this game). They have redone contacts. They look like default controllers but have been 'improved'.

I didn't realize they would be that different. I think the fire buttons work on other games, but I'll have to investigate that also.

I used a default controller and it worked.

The cart now gets past the 'press fire' to continue with fire buttons! :)

Edited by KAZ

It seems there is a problem with the lower fire buttons on your refurbished controllers. I looked at the demoV2, and for some reason I had that setup to get past the first screen with any key being pressed. That's why you could start it with the refurbished controllers. The cart versions are all setup to respond to the lower fire button only.

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine cartridge more than ten days ago but tried only two days ago because of lack of time.

Just for fun I compared this one with "official Atari 5200 pac man" and this pac man arcade is really in another league. I used a competition pro joystick and it feels at home.. Really good work, Perry!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...