IGNORED

Interest check - Pac-man Arcade for the 5200

tep392

Looks really cool! Where can I find these universal game cases?

You can find them on ebay or amazon. If you google them and get the in bulk from a video supply store they are really cheap. Obviously only worthwhile if you plan to house most of your collection in them. Most cartridges will fit in them but for the 5200 you need to dremel out the tabs to get the carts to fit. Not too hard, takes 30 seconds or so per case.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to testing my cart. The initial Atari logo screen looks as it should but when it switches to the Pac Man title screen the image degrades. There are a myriad of fine lines coursing through the image as if the cart is not seated properly. I tried this on a 2 port and a 4 port with the same result. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Apparently my RF box on my 4 port will only play on channel 3. I have 2 more crts to try the game on but I am working quite a bit of overtime and will not get around to trying them until the weekend. I have a photo to post but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it. Is there a FAQ somewhere that I have overlooked?

Unfortunately it seems the photo I have posted is either to small in the post or too large when one clicks on it for the vertical lines to be visible. I am not sure what to do about that. Hopefully you can adjust the size on your end and you can see what I am talking about.

Edited by LaserCat

I am not really complaining. I have never purchased a homebrew and I do not know what to expect. This is actually the reason I wanted to post on a forum instead of communicating via PM. I LOVE the game and how it plays but since the PQ for this particular game is not as good as any of the official carts that I own I am just wondering if this is normal or OK for a homebrew. What I find curious is that the vertical distortion lines are not visible on the Atari title screen.

post-42627-0-51815000-1442621657_thumb.jpg

NOTE: The horizontal bands on the pic in post #133 are an artifact from my phone and are not visible otherwise.

Edited by LaserCat

I can't think of how the game could cause the vertical lines in you photo. It's using a standard graphics mode and standard programming techniques. I'm not even sure how I could make it do that if I wanted to. Do the lines appear on the menu screen or during game play? Do they move or are they static? What kind of adapter are you using to connect it to your tv? You should try it on another television if you can.

The tv I am using is a 2004 Sony sd crt of the FS100 line. My set up is in a 10ft by 13ft room which also contains my turntable, amp, and preamp. My stereo was off when the Atari was in use. I tried the cart on both a 2 port and a 4 port. I no longer have the 2 port. I did not take any pictures of the game on the 2 port because the system had glitches and the game would actually crash after a few seconds of play leaving the screen a jumble of alpha numerics. However the 2 port had some problems with my other games so I exchanged it for the 4 port. My 4 port is the original Made in USA version that is not compatible with the 2600 adaptor. I am using RF/power combination switchbox. Unfortunately, as you can see from my photos, this system has a problem in that it makes every game yellow. Last night I moved my Atari to the master bedroom and hooked it up to my 2001 Toshiba hd crt. It displayed the same problem. I have decided to return this system for one that does not turn the screen yellow but because of the Pope's visit and how it will affect traffic patterns this process will take at least 2 weeks.

I just took a moment to examine the lines and I would say that they "shimmer". That is they appear very jumpy or nervous, shaking to the left and the right but their range of motion is very limited. They also appear on the menu screen. Not nearly as noticeable during play but by that time everything has turned yellow. My next step is to trade in this system for another and see how it plays on that system.

Edited by LaserCat

That certainly looks like RF interference to me, I can't imagine it has anything to do with the game itself. One thing to note is that homebrew games generally do not have the RF shield that carts produced by Atari did. Thus, they are generally going to be "noisier" than any of Atari's games. The best thing to do, of course, is to have a 5200 modified with A/V outputs, which will completely eliminate this type of issue, and you'll end up with better video and audio as well. I know this isn't always an option, though.

..Al

• Like 1

That certainly looks like RF interference to me, I can't imagine it has anything to do with the game itself. One thing to note is that homebrew games generally do not have the RF shield that carts produced by Atari did. Thus, they are generally going to be "noisier" than any of Atari's games. The best thing to do, of course, is to have a 5200 modified with A/V outputs, which will completely eliminate this type of issue, and you'll end up with better video and audio as well. I know this isn't always an option, though.

Luckily for me A/V modification IS an option. The gentleman who runs my LGS is game to perform any mod you ask of him. I am just not sure if composite or s-video is preferable for a system of this vintage.

Luckily for me A/V modification IS an option. The gentleman who runs my LGS is game to perform any mod you ask of him. I am just not sure if composite or s-video is preferable for a system of this vintage.

If you have a television with S-Video input, that is definitely the way to go. Ideally, though, you'd add S-Video and Composite outputs so you have more flexibility. That's what I do with all of my systems, where possible.

..Al

• Like 1