IGNORED

Excellent Video Game Books to Read

So I know on here someone who is a member on here published a book on video games, I was trying to search for the thread cos I was interested in buying a copy and can't seem to find it.

I was wondering if anyone knew of the thread link or the person who published the book. I know it's on amazon.com too.

Thanks!

Also does anyone know of any other good video game books that are entertaining to read. I been trying to get back into reading and figure this is the best way to.

Thanks again!

-Mark

The the three best video game books that I read (if you are looking for history of the industry) are these three titles, all of which compliment one another very well and can all be found for good prices used on Amazon:

"The Ultimate History of Video Games" by Stephen Kent

"Phoenix" by Leonard Herman

"Videogames: In the Beginning" by Ralph Baer

• Like 1

If you are interested at all in early home computers as well as game consoles, I'd recommend "Commodore: A Company on the Edge" by Brian Bagnall.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0973864966/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0973864966&linkCode=as2&tag=atariage

I'm not a huge Commodore guy, but I still found it very interesting. Some of it is very pertitent to classic gaming in general, such as how the MOS 6502 came about.

If you are interested at all in early home computers as well as game consoles, I'd recommend "Commodore: A Company on the Edge" by Brian Bagnall.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0973864966/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0973864966&linkCode=as2&tag=atariage

I'm not a huge Commodore guy, but I still found it very interesting. Some of it is very pertitent to classic gaming in general, such as how the MOS 6502 came about.

Whoa! this is great! Thanks.

I would recommend Racing The Beam. It analyzes (using specific games as examples) how the limitations/strengths of the Atari 2600 led game developers at the time to find creative solutions and designs still used today. Very interesting, and not too technical

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/026201257X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=026201257X&linkCode=as2&tag=atariage

Ultimate History Of Video Games is the most interesting book i have probably ever have read,some of the things that used to go on in Atari lol :-o

ultimate-history-of-video-games.jpg

Oh yea that's a great read! :) I need to get that one soon.When I was going to art college a couple years ago I borrowed that from the school library. Really fun read. Yes Atari employees of the late 70's/early 80's sure knew how to party lol.

A book that I haven't read yet (What? You're recommending a book you haven't read yet? -- er.. I've been meaning too.. um.. it looks good.. :-), is

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1568814119/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1568814119&linkCode=as2&tag=atariage

Written by Matt Barton of youtube's Matt Chatt (He wrote the book long before Matt Chatt, but if you browse youtube, you might have seen him there..).

Also, another plug for the Bagnell Commodore book. I did read that one, and it's a great read..

desiv

Along with aforementioned titles (Ultimate History of Video Games!) I also enjoyed Vintage Games by AAer Bill Loguidice and Matt Barton. Each chapter highlights a revolutionary game of its timeframe - and truly helped me understand the nostalgia behind Utopia, Alone in the Dark, and flight simulators, among others:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240811461/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0240811461&linkCode=as2&tag=atariage

Oh yeah, Jack Tramiel actually loved video games and farted rainbows, sunshine, and candy. -_-;;;

Anyway, if you want to pry open some of your favorite oldies, Ken Uston's SCORE and Mastering Pac-Man are both worth a look. I also liked Craig Kubey's The Winners' Book of Video Games, written from the viewpoint of a gamer in early 1983, but without the saccharin sweetness that often comes with the territory. Kubey's got teeth, tearing into the Intellivision (he refers to George Plimpton as "the best preppie money can buy"), and the Odyssey2 ("calling this Alien Invaders: Plus! makes as much sense as calling Phyllis Diller 'Catherine Deneuve: Plus!'") without reservations. I find the cynicism refreshing, which is why I enjoyed what I've seen of the later issues of Creem's Vidiot.

Ultimate History Of Video Games is the most interesting book i have probably ever have read,some of the things that used to go on in Atari lol :-o

Unfortunately, it's full of a lot of incorrect facts. In fact it's notorious for it.

True, but it's worth reading just for the great interviews.

Oh yeah, Jack Tramiel actually loved video games and farted rainbows, sunshine, and candy. -_-;;;

No, but very bad gaffes like claiming the Atari Coin and Consumer buildings were connected when they weren't and tying the 'imperial forces' comment to that. (Coin headquarters was in a completely different city at the time.) Or getting basic info on the Vectrex wrong. Etc.

Unfortunately, it's full of a lot of incorrect facts. In fact it's notorious for it.

True, but it's worth reading just for the great interviews.

You have to take those with a grain of salt as well unfortunately. People's memories can be off, they can be glorifying a situation or details, they can even be very self-serving. We had to do a lot of cross-validation on stories and happenings with people while doing the interviews for our book. Likewise we had to be carefull not to cross-contaminate (i.e. not suggest the answer via the question asked, but rather ask a very generic question on the subject and see if the same story or happening comes out).