IGNORED

Reproduction Vectrex Overlays - AtariAge Discount

omeganu

Hey AtariAge!

Thanks for everybody's feedback and support on my endeavor to create reproduction Vectrex overlays. The price has settled in at $9.99 per overlay and they are available on eBay (or at www.vectrexoverlays.com).

I'm going to be offering a special rate for members of AtariAge - $6.99 per overlay plus a flat shipping rate of $5.15 regardless of quantity. All you need to do is email me through AtariAge with your request, I'll send you a PayPal invoice and you can buy overlays at a special AtariAge price.

If you were one of my original buyers, I'll offer you two free overlays with an order of three or more (I've created new home brew overlays since you ordered your first set). Enjoy!

(Check out the eBay auctions for photos and descriptions...come back to AtariAge.com to request your overlays for a discount!)

Edited by omeganu

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Its a little labor intensive. Not overly though. The main problem I've had is bubbling of the self-adhesive laminating sheets but it may be because I need to get heavy weight laminating sheets. The white backing is very important. I've tried both painting by hand and masking it off and spraying. I have not tried Edward's method with the stickers but I've yet to get to a point that I was happy with just yet.

Has there been anybody else that made overlays and had them for sale to the public? I thought I saw a dude on here that made one for War of the Worlds... don't know if he offered for sale though.

I wish I had the *know how* for this - clearly there is a demand! In my case moreso for the homebrews..... I have no problem spending the $'s to get these done.

• 8 months later...

Edward got completely out of making them.

I garauntee that if you do a screen printed run of just about any overlay, you'll sell them all. minestorm is still one of the most requested overlays and the prices for originals still garner around 25-30 bucks. Pole Postition, Star Castle and Polar Rescue are also in high demand. I think it'd be cool to have original designs with alternative colors. There are also some homebrew games that overlays would sell well such as the popular Protector, which needs an every-mans overlay. VectrexMad just did a run of 50 plus YASI overlays and sold out in no time. War of the World might be a good one too. It's still in production, a nice game and Gliptitude has been wanting to get one made for a while. We worked on a design together.

Anyone have any overlay scans? I could vector them and probably do a small inkjet run.....maybe a screened run if there is enough interest and available scans..

Yes.

After I bumped the topic I've begun accumulating multiple scans ( a lot of duplicates also )

There's a lot of talk about how some of the scans don't line up perfectly for game being played. Some are better then others. For the different download packs, I've been going through the forums on various sites and reading which ones are the best. There's so much to go through it is going to take me until at least the weekend to finish/organize.

If you (or anyone else) is serious about getting involved replicating these, let me know and I'll supply with the best scans/info in exchange for you give me a little bit of a deal on them.

Everywhere I go on all the forums, all I see is 'who is selling scans?' And everyone who used to make/sell them never replies to my emails.

YASI is selling scans, except he has his name in a big font printed right on top of the scan (which I don't like). Plus he sells them for about 25 bucks US each… (no thank you)

What equipment would you be using to make them?

Im not sure an inkjet would suffice? I'm still researching.

http://maxwell.fief.org/overlay.html

Edited by Bodyshots

http://computer-classics.de/cah_blog2/test-resource-post/vectrex/

These files are better than scans.

YASI is a game. Yet Another Space Invaders. It was paired with Protector and released by Classic Game Creations but was programmed by Alex Herbert. http://vectrex.wikia.com/wiki/Protector/Y*A*S*I

While a little on the expensive side, VectrexMad's YASI overlays were so because they were made in so small a run. In addition, they are not inkjet transparencies and lamenting sheets. They are professional screen printed overlays just as the originals were. I've done plenty of the inkjet method and they are no where near the quality and color that screen printed ones are.

http://computer-classics.de/cah_blog2/test-resource-post/vectrex/

These files are better than scans.

YASI is a game. Yet Another Space Invaders. It was paired with Protector and released by Classic Game Creations but was programmed by Alex Herbert. http://vectrex.wikia.com/wiki/Protector/Y*A*S*I

While a little on the expensive side, VectrexMad's YASI overlays were so because they were made in so small a run. In addition, they are not inkjet transparencies and lamenting sheets. They are professional screen printed overlays just as the originals were. I've done plenty of the inkjet method and they are no where near the quality and color that screen printed ones are.

Thank you.

After scouring old/new topics looking for overlays and other Vec related items, I realized this. I just got a notice from the Post Office that my Vec I purchased is available for pickup. I never played or seen one when I was younger, so I am discovering the Vectrex for my first time. I got a little sidetracked while looking for overlays online tonight… I never realized that there are a lot of emulators that implement the colour overlay on to your pc, xbox or wii console systems. However, this is blasphemy! Even though I purchased a 72 in 1 cart, I still have to play these games on the original system it was intended for. (Though I am curious what the games might look like on a big screen)