IGNORED

Reproduction Vectrex Overlays - AtariAge Discount

omeganu

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree. Reproduction is reproduction. As long as it looks good and functions properly for the game then it's all good. At the very least it's better than nothing.

I'd rather someone could mass produce them for 10-20 a piece than have them hand made and cost 50-100.

As long as it looks good and functions properly for the game then it's all good. At the very least it's better than nothing.

I'd be happily content with this. I have not forgot that I said I would include all the inlays. It took me several hours searching the web and reading through forums on several websites. ( A lot of dead links too unfortunately) They are in a mish-mash of folders all over the place on the laptop. It took so long because I was grabbing all the box art, bins and documentation I could possibly find.

If I posted a link to download my list, it would be great if others could check through it and make suggestions and add links here to anything that is missing (box art,overlays,bins,etc). I deleted all the overdump and bins. (Why do people save those anyways?) It would be nice to have an official V.1.0 Vectrex list. None currently exist that I am aware of?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Good Luck!

I'll add a zip list here of them all sometime this weekend. I'll only be including the ones allowed. I don't want to step on any toes.

This seems like a good endeavor: creating vector-based, Vectrex overlays. (AKA: EPS files) It just makes sense. :)

From what I can see, computer-classics.de has only made four publicly available: Berzerk, MineStorm, Scramble, and Solar Quest. Are there any others that are available?

The quality is pretty good – though I do not have the originals for direct comparison. Also, it looks like some of the fonts aren't available when opened in Adobe Illustrator. That isn't ideal. Since these were made public, the fonts should have been outlined.

We need a way to mass produce them. Even if it meant buying them as sets only it would be better than nothing.

This could be pretty expensive, but printers in the United States are looking for work these days. There are also a good number of smaller printers that would be willing to take on a "small" job like this one. Its a lot of work though and would be expensive depending on the quantity.
I work in publishing as an art director and I can tell you that this is what you're looking at from a spec standpoint:
– Printing on transparent acrylic (thick stock too)
– Either 1x or 2x hits of opaque white
– 4-color printing
– Possibly a gloss lamination or UV on the back to protect the opaque white hits from scratches

Status update.. This is a total pain in the ass

LOL – yep.

Vectoring them seems to be the worst part at the moment. I can't find any comparable fonts...so I have to trace every letter by hand.

Well, there are alternatives to tracing it by hand. If you have Adobe Illustrator – and you should for this job – there is a function called "Live Trace" which will work well as long as you have a high-res source scan. There are also some tricks to getting it to work better such as upping the contrast or converting each shape to a pure black.

I'm pretty good at this sort of thing since its my job and I've been doing it for nearly 20 years (yikes), so I'd be fine with trying my hand at creating a few of these. Does anyone have high resolution scans of the front and back of the overlays? Ideally, they should be 600 DPI (maybe even 1200 DPI) at actual size.

Feel free to contact me.

There are still very few people who have been able to see a screen-printed overlay to its finish. My suggestion is to take one finished design and see if you can get it printed. I'd recommend getting the permission of computer-classics.de to produce one set of overlays from Minestorm. Minestorm is desirable enough to where plenty of people would purchase a good reproduction as long as the cost is between 15-25 bucks since ebay prices are around double that.

Holy cow, dude, I hope that's not your house!

I'm just entering into the Vectrex scene finally and already have a multicart in a shell. Just waiting for my Vectrex to arrive, should be here next week. :)

Was just thinking about repro overlays too, then I see this topic. If I could locate some scans, I wouldn't mind giving this a go. ;)

I would think one could take a scan (mirrored) to Office Max and have them print it onto a transparency sheet (kind of like how some homebrew CV overlays were made). Next, take that print and laminate it with another transparent film using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and a craft roller (which I already have). Just a thought..

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone BTW

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

OK kids I'm back...but not really. It's been YEEAAARRS since I've made my overlays and I'm honestly flattered that I had some sort of legacy with this community. If anybody wants to know my method, let me know. It's honestly not that difficult...it just takes some time and patience. Obviously if I was able to plug them out as rapidly as I did, you can do it too.

• Like 1

I might have picked up where you left off last year. I've been making new designs and selling them here and there. I feel like they actually aren't that easy to make unless you make a ton of them, you have the right printer, materials, adhesive, patience and a steady hand, especially if you do multiple layers.

Edited by funknflow5200
  • Like 2

I didn't know anyone got nasty about them. I do recall them getting messed up in the mail, and people wanting them for almost free. That's part of the catch 22 with Atari ere collecting. NES collectors are used to getting screwed but Atari collectors are used to the buddy system. Newbies then expect stuff for free as if it's just the norm. Off topic a bit but I sold an AV modded 2600 cheap on the forum here because I didn't need it and wanted to help a newbie get started. they never even posted feedback and probably just flipped it on ebay.

I didn't know anyone got nasty about them. I do recall them getting messed up in the mail, and people wanting them for almost free. That's part of the catch 22 with Atari ere collecting. NES collectors are used to getting screwed but Atari collectors are used to the buddy system. Newbies then expect stuff for free as if it's just the norm. Off topic a bit but I sold an AV modded 2600 cheap on the forum here because I didn't need it and wanted to help a newbie get started. they never even posted feedback and probably just flipped it on ebay.

I should clarify...AtariAge members didn't get nasty with me. It was the eBay purchasers and those who bought directly from the web site I had (which could have been some of you...I can't say). Long story short, it was a great ride and I enjoyed most of it. The proceeds even covered my expenses to exhibit at the 2012 CGE in Vegas where I auctioned off my entire Vectrex collection (all games, light pen, 3D imager and system). I then sold the plotter and remaining overlays and went back to wasting money on restoring cars :-)

I understand that funknflow5200 is fighting the good fight with a method very similar to mine but with a more durable output. If I were them, I'd charge twice as much to avoid the financial frustration I hit for just breaking even.

• 1 month later...

I should clarify...AtariAge members didn't get nasty with me. It was the eBay purchasers and those who bought directly from the web site I had (which could have been some of you...I can't say). Long story short, it was a great ride and I enjoyed most of it. The proceeds even covered my expenses to exhibit at the 2012 CGE in Vegas where I auctioned off my entire Vectrex collection (all games, light pen, 3D imager and system). I then sold the plotter and remaining overlays and went back to wasting money on restoring cars :-)

I understand that funknflow5200 is fighting the good fight with a method very similar to mine but with a more durable output. If I were them, I'd charge twice as much to avoid the financial frustration I hit for just breaking even.

Well I think most of us here are glad that someone is at least making a conservative effort to reproduce overlays. Its a needed and commendable service you are providing. I wonder if a poll should be run to see if people would be accepting of altered versions of the overlays. I know I would be perfectly fine with an overlay that uses a different font as long as the overlay is clear, sturdy and close to the original.

I also learned last year know how much of a pain some of the new wave of retro collectors are. I made the mistake of mentioning I learned SMD soldering in college. I had someone bring me a Game Gear they wanted recapped. Not only did this twenty something think that $10 was a good offer (I believe the parts were $7 alone), he couldn't understand how I couldn't guarantee that it would work either. I gave up while trying to explain how electrolytic fluid is corrosive and can possibly ruin components and traces. If I was dealing a few people like that at a very small level, I can't imagine all the crap that must have been flung at you guys. Hang in there and keep up the work!

i've made close to around 700 overlays since june and most people have been really happy with their orders. with a few here and there that are wildly picky about a homemade project.

I know I would be perfectly fine with an overlay that uses a different font as long as the overlay is clear, sturdy and close to the original.

Have you seen my psychedelic overlays?