IGNORED

Last 3 games you played?

Beef Drop VE (7800)

This is very different from any other version of Burgertime I've ever played on a console (in a good way), and am slowly getting better each time I play (though still not good at all). I've always liked this game since back on the Intellivision, so getting a beautiful port on the 7800 is a real treat.

Pac-Man Collection! (7800)

Played Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man, both on standard settings. I've hit a bit of a plateau with both games even at my pathetic skill level. I've got better at manipulating some of the ghosts, but still fall victim to stupid traps I could've avoided if I was paying more attention. I can get much much further in Ms. Pac-Man, but after the first few boards the power pellet power up seems to run out so fast that I can barely use them effectively. Just a matter of practicing more I guess!

One-on-One Basketball (7800)

Sadly, my cart seems to be glitched. Got it new in box sealed from a local import place, but no matter how much I clean it, the graphics are glitchy right from the start (the Atari logo is completely glitched), and then the colors are completely wrong. Too bad, was looking forward to this one after rave reviews on 7800 Game by Game Podcast. Might have to track down a loose cartridge sometime.

• Like 1

I've been playing Asteroids a few times per week on the actual arcade cabinet at work. It has become one of my all time favorite games. We have revision 2, so it's the harder one. I have been getting better scores each week and got my top score yesterday of 55,480. Few games are as exhilarating as this one for me. Once the ufos start coming one after another, it becomes as action packed as any game could be. It's different every time you play, so no tedious memorization required, just good reaction time and startegic tidbits you pick up after many, many games. Asteroids revision 2 is a timeless masterpiece and a game I hope to have in my home some day.

I also played the Donkey Kong and Centipede cabinets yesterday and got my best Centipede score- 63,333. I am fairly new to Centipede and hope to do much better.

• Like 2

Thunder Force III (Sega Genesis)

The Ultimate Doom (PC-DOS)

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Sega Genesis)

nice on Thunder Force III. I think that was the last game I played all the way through.

I just wanted to add my batch, since it's weird...

Polaris

Alpha Beam with Ernie

Oscar's Trash Race

... All on 2600... With my kids.

Prior to that (with my nephew last week)...

Rebooteroids (Jaguar)

Epic Pinball (PC DOS)

Electronic Pinball (PC DOS)

• Like 1

CASTLEVANIA- SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT (PSX)

Easily IMHO the greatest game of the franchise. I am working on a video involving glithcing the game so you open up rooms OUTSIDE the castle! Interesting stuff!

HAUNTED CASTLE (arcade)

Awful arcade entry in the CV series. Graphics and music are fine but the game is unfairly hard and feels unfinished in parts.

ELEVATOR ACTION RETURNS (arcade)

Kind of cool update to the original but kind of unpolished.

• 2 weeks later...

We had some friends over last night, and after getting sufficiently drunk, I brought out the 7800 and we enjoyed some gaming:

b*nQ (7800)

Everyone had trouble adapting to the controls, but even people who never played Qbert before got into it and had a blast.

Donkey Kong PK (7800)

This was a big hit. Some of the guests had never even played or heard of this game before, which is crazy to me (people ranged in age from 40 to 60). We definitely spent the most time on this one.

Super Pac-man (7800)

I thought Pac-man had nearly universal appeal, but a couple guests indicated they felt Pac-man is too stressful to have fun, so I suggested this one. Even the Pac-man haters seemed to get into it.

I also dragged out my Jaguar and NES, but people had trouble getting into games from those systems. They seemed to prefer games where you can see the entire playfield on a single screen and you only have to worry about one button at most.

• Like 4

I played some Juno First, Enduro, and Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator the other day. All are 2600 versions via my 7800.

Enduro just strikes my fancy lately. I guess it's technically just one long track over and over, but it feels like an endless road with endless passing, and that was the itch I needed scratched. I guess it's just that for me the track is just long enough and the different sections (regular, ice, dusk, and night) camoflage it enough that it doesn't seem like the same laps over and over. It's very much like Turbo (arcade/CV) which I also like, but Turbo really requires the CV Steering wheel (not fond of the joystick hack) and my accellerator is broken.

The one problem with Enduro is that a game does seem to last a bit long. I guess it is called Enduro, but I never play more than one game at a time because it just starts to wear out it's welcome after four or five laps. That's not a huge strike against the game, just an explanation of why I don't binge play it.

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator is an old favorite of mine. I used to play it all the time on the 5200. Nowadays, when I get the urge to play I tend to just settle for the 2600 version. The CV version (or MAME) may be more arcade accurate, but the 2600/5200 variants of the game are the ones I grew up playing and the ones I get the most feels from. Anyway, I've played a few games of the 2600 version lately. I haven't been doing all that great, only scoring in the 500K range. I know I'm capable of the 700K range on this version. Maybe I just need to spend some time with it. Regardless, I've been having fun even though I haven't been anywhere in the running for my high score.

Finally, there's Juno First. This has become something of a favorite for me. I don't know anything about the arcade original, but the 2600 port strikes me as a perfect 2600 game. It scratches that same urge that frantic games like Defender do. I actually finally got into the 100K range in score the other day, a new high for me. I may play some more after hitting post.