IGNORED

What Hard Drive Interfaces Support SD Cards?

Larry

Not referring to S-Drives and other SIO solutions.

I have only been able to get the MyIDE family working with SD cards in addition to compact flash. Has anyone been successful with anything else? SIDE cart, maybe? I don't have one of those -- do they support MyDos as a regular hard drive?

-Larry

IDE Plus works great with a 2.5" IDE to SDX card adapter. I don't yet have an SD-CF adapter of the kind which would fit SIDE.

SIDE supports MyDOS (AFAIK) only using Sijmen's custom OS, or in conjunction with Ultimate 1MB's forthcoming PBI emulation. You can also run any DOS you like direct from an ATR using the latter combo.

Hi Jon-

I'm using Bios 0.8, and it doesn't work with my SD cards and 44-pin adapter. I had been using 0.9, but there was some type of issue that I ran into, and dropped back to .8. (Can't remember what the issue was, but I reported it. Might have been a simulated cold start issue.) So I'll try .9 with the adapter.

Ultimate 1 MB PBI emulation? I'll have to check into that -- don't remember seeing anything about that.

Thanks,

Larry

IDE Plus works great with a 2.5" IDE to SDX card adapter. I don't yet have an SD-CF adapter of the kind which would fit SIDE.

SIDE supports MyDOS (AFAIK) only using Sijmen's custom OS, or in conjunction with Ultimate 1MB's forthcoming PBI emulation. You can also run any DOS you like direct from an ATR using the latter combo.

Ultimate 1 MB PBI emulation? I'll have to check into that -- don't remember seeing anything about that.

Yeah - Ultimate can be set to basically provide the PBI ROM that the SIDE cart lacks. This could be adapted to work with any "dumb" interface which merely maps hardware registers onto the I/O space. The advantages are numerous:

1) You can use the stock OS ROM

2) The entire system is 100 per cent PBI-legal

3) You can switch off the functionality via the Ultimate BIOS menu

4) ATR mounting is provided at the PBI level

I've more or less finished the PBI ROM, but there's still a bit more work to do on tying the ATR functionality in with the Ultimate 1MB BIOS.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Yeah - Ultimate can be set to basically provide the PBI ROM that the SIDE cart lacks. This could be adapted to work with any "dumb" interface which merely maps hardware registers onto the I/O space. The advantages are numerous:

1) You can use the stock OS ROM

2) The entire system is 100 per cent PBI-legal

3) You can switch off the functionality via the Ultimate BIOS menu

4) ATR mounting is provided at the PBI level

I've more or less finished the PBI ROM, but there's still a bit more work to do on tying the ATR functionality in with the Ultimate 1MB BIOS.

FJC, Larry may have an older bios in his U1mb which doesnt have the SIDE/PBI routines in it?

sloopy.

Interesting. Thus far, mine won't boot with SD -- just a black screen. Works great with compact flash and the ACARD bridge. What kind of SD adapter are you using with the BB? Presume you are using an ACARD 7720? Do you have a Floppy Board attached?

-Larry

I have only been able to get the MyIDE family working with SD cards in addition to compact flash. Has anyone been successful with anything else?

Black Box.

Runs with CF, SD/MMC, SM, and MS cards.

FJC, Larry may have an older bios in his U1mb which doesnt have the SIDE/PBI routines in it?

Almost certainly, since the new BIOS hasn't been released to anyone yet, AFAIK.

Candle released the files, mine, and Polbit's U1mb's are programmed with the new firmware/BIOS, and anyone else who has the xilinx programmer...

sloopy.

I've been using my IDE +2 with an SD adaptor the entire time... had no luck finding working 2.5" IDE HDDs.

I also bought a CF adaptor and tried it. Less attractive option since CF is becoming more scarce and expensive and the performance gain isn't really worth it.

There's plenty of eBay sellers for both, I got them from a cheap Chinese source, under 10 bucks incl delivery each.

Larry hedged his bets after Dropcheck provided what he thought was a very good alternative to the issue -- he still has one (uninstalled) U1MB + a "no-cut" adapter.

-hisself

Larry doesn't have ultimate1mb board at all - at least to my knowledge

unless he said one thing and decided another

Larry hedged his bets after Dropcheck provided what he thought was a very good alternative to the issue -- he still has one uninstalled U1MB + a "no-cut" adapter.

-hisself

Larry doesn't have ultimate1mb board at all - at least to my knowledge

unless he said one thing and decided another

If you need the firmware updated to the newest version, to do the SIDE-PBI emulation, let me know...

or anyone with an incognito has the xilinx programmer also...

sloopy.

Hi Sloopy-

Thanks for the offer. Right now, I was just looking for some info as to what this upgrade does, and your post explains that nicely!

Back to the SD card...

With IDE+2 bios 0.9 I was able to get the SD card going! It works with the SD-->CF adapter that looks like a type-II CF card and also with the 44-pin 2.5" drive SD adapter. I can't explain why the "card" type adapter didn't work before, But I had the 44-pin SD adapter plugged in upside down. Looking closely, I can now see that pin 1 has a "square" solder pad while all the rest are round. It also has another mark that I presume indicates that pin one is at that end. I'm not familiar with that type of marking, but now I know to look for it. Plus I've indicated it clearly (to me) with a marking pen!

Thanks for the replies!

-Larry

What kind of SD adapter are you using with the BB? Presume you are using an ACARD 7720?

No ACARD required. If you add the parity signal to the SCSI bus http://atari.mixinc.net/pinouts/parity.htm (and possibly also termination power) you can just connect a SCM PCD-50B multi-memory-card device or similar device.

v79klk.jpg

I use 3 right now. 2 Are connected to black box' and the 3rd is in a PC system. For black box you more or less need to use a PCMCIA <> SD/CF/whatever adapter because the PCMCIA slot is the first device (ID#0 LUN#0) which the black box needs to save it's config data but you can use all 5 slots simultaneously if you want, emulating 5 hard disks.

Do you have a Floppy Board attached?

I temporary have one connected but it doesn't matter as it's a SCSI-2/Fast-SCSI device.

That's really interesting! I think that I remember someone mentioning using one of those for the MIO. But I don't believe I've actually seen one of them -- thanks for the pic!

I do have the parity mod on mine.

-Larry

You can get them from Mechware (Mike): https://a4000t.com/

Note that many of these devices have "read-only" firmware. The ones from above have the latest "read-write" firmware.

He also has a similar device (PCD-47B) which should work but don't have one.

As for the MIO, Mike has one himself and it depends on the MIO's firmware if these devices can be used or not.

• 2 weeks later...
Does it take up 5 SCSI ID's or 5 LUN's?

The SCM PCD-50B runs on 1 SCSI ID (selectable from 0 to 7) as 5 LUN's. LUN#0 is the PCMCIA slot, which is perfect when using a black box as one can stick all kind of adapters in it (SD/CF/etc...)

The PCD-47B has only 3 slots and isn't using LUN's but 3 following SCSI ID's in stead, like 0-1-2 or 1-2-3 or 2-3-4. With a black box only the first config can be used when it's the main SCSI device.