IGNORED

Driving Game Hacks

sqoon

Could it be done where some programmer could write code for hacked copies of Turbo, Dukes of Hazard, etc. that would use the digital directional inputs on the stock controller in place of the serial encoding of expansion module #2? With working steering wheels being harder to come by, this will be necessary soon for most to be able to play these games.

Turbo has already been converted to the standard controller by Daniel Bienvenu. If you do some digging, you can probably find his hack of the Turbo ROM, and he also did a hack of Destructor, if I remember correctly. I also offered my own joystick-operated version of Destructor a couple of years ago, but it's been sold out for a long time, since I only produced 50 copies, and there's no demand for me to make more.

As for Dukes of Hazzard, it would be a little difficult to do a joystick version, because the original game uses the joystick for shifting gears, and the keypad to activate the hand brake. It can be done, I think, but really, who would go thru that kind of trouble? Dukes of Hazzard kinda sucks anyway.

Edited by Pixelboy

Are there any others that require expansion module #2? Pit Stop? Also, see I missed out on Destructor and Turbo d-pad versions, so guess I am up the creek. :?

Even if you consider Dukes to suck, it still should be preserved in playable version for future generations.

Are there any others that require expansion module #2? Pit Stop?

Bump 'n Jump and Pitstop are compatible with both the joystick and steering wheel.

Also, see I missed out on Destructor and Turbo d-pad versions, so guess I am up the creek. :?

If you don't want to look for those freely available ROMs, yes you are. :twisted:

Even if you consider Dukes to suck, it still should be preserved in playable version for future generations.

For future generations, I would make sure emulators (of today and tomorrow) implement the steering wheel and Roller Controller modules, in one way or another.

Edited by Pixelboy

• 11 years later...
On 7/8/2012 at 6:03 PM, Pixelboy said:

Turbo has already been converted to the standard controller by Daniel Bienvenu. If you do some digging, you can probably find his hack of the Turbo ROM, and he also did a hack of Destructor, if I remember correctly. I also offered my own joystick-operated version of Destructor a couple of years ago, but it's been sold out for a long time, since I only produced 50 copies, and there's no demand for me to make more.

As for Dukes of Hazzard, it would be a little difficult to do a joystick version, because the original game uses the joystick for shifting gears, and the keypad to activate the hand brake. It can be done, I think, but really, who would go thru that kind of trouble? Dukes of Hazzard kinda sucks anyway.

I have it

TURBO SCE.rom