IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Too much awesomeness.

I must say, monochrome,with 8 shades in 160 mode, gives that certain 80 column mode a good kick to the shins. ;) Certainly, an alternative, if not a replacement.

Alternative, yes. But the 16 shades do simply more benefits to an image than the higher resolution.

The picture may demonstrate some important points.

post-2756-0-34604800-1342508123_thumb.png

emkay_cyb450.xex

The banding gets visual reduced, when a cross check is happening.

Particular C64 Pictures don't have more than 16 colour per scanline. The resolution has to be set to 160 width directly, so no additional dither gets used for the pixel, just for details, where 16 colours per scanline cannot be used.

The best imgage type for the A8 is some picture with up to 128 colours of the indexed palette and approx. 9 colour per scanline.

A preprocessing of the dependend colours will reduce visual banding from the beginning.

• Like 1

A common Spider-Man background pic. Original:

post-5808-0-57101100-1342487958_thumb.jpg

Resized to 320x240 and remapped to indexed laoo pallette in GIMP. Brought in with:

./rastaconv spiderman_6.png /filter=box /pal=Palettes/laoo.act

and run through 465 million iterations:

post-5808-0-56612600-1342488154_thumb.png

I like it a lot but it does highlight the saturation weaknesses of the Atari and the lack of reds. There are too many green/blues in the Atari pallet.

A common Spider-Man background pic. Original:

post-5808-0-57101100-1342487958_thumb.jpg

Resized to 320x240 and remapped to indexed laoo pallette in GIMP. Brought in with:

./rastaconv spiderman_6.png /filter=box /pal=Palettes/laoo.act

and run through 465 million iterations:

post-5808-0-56612600-1342488154_thumb.png

I like it a lot but it does highlight the saturation weaknesses of the Atari and the lack of reds. There are too many green/blues in the Atari pallet.

No lack of reds on the NTSC side... although saturation is apparent on both. I'll take either's A8 pallet over the C64's any day though. ;)

Most 8-bits only have the one shade of fire-engine red. ;) To render the Spidey pic, they'd have to dither in browns, pinks, shades of grey and play with complementary/contrasting colors - which might be a nice effect, actualy, but not the semi-rendered-looking quality, achieved here.

Most 8-bits only have the one shade of fire-engine red. ;) To render the Spidey pic, they'd have to dither in browns, pinks, shades of grey and play with complementary/contrasting colors - which might be a nice effect, actualy, but not the semi-rendered-looking quality, achieved here.

You'd better check your palette again. My NTSCs all have no less than two distinct reds: fire-engine red and a tomato paste red. PAL Ataris, from my limited experience, seem to have the more tomato paste red and a maroon that's nearly red. I've never had a problem coming up with an appropriate red in any situation on an NTSC Atari, unless the phase was out of adjustment.

• Like 2

You'd better check your palette again. My NTSCs all have no less than two distinct reds: fire-engine red and a tomato paste red. PAL Ataris, from my limited experience, seem to have the more tomato paste red and a maroon that's nearly red. I've never had a problem coming up with an appropriate red in any situation on an NTSC Atari, unless the phase was out of adjustment.

I'm sorry, I meant most other 8-bit computers. ;) I should have been more clear. :D :thumbsup:

I'm sorry, I meant most other 8-bit computers. ;) I should have been more clear. :D :thumbsup:

Ah, ok, you meant PAL. No problem, just a misunderstanding.

Atari does not have "all" red variations due to the type of colour production...

As the palette is a "cycle" of the available TVset colours, they were depending in a good way...

You can use either 6 colours of red , blue, or green, to make the images using a nice colour room, not leaving red, blue , or green there...

post-2756-0-75564700-1342685796_thumb.png

emkay_dragons100.xex

Edited by emkay