IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Wow - great set of pics Mario!

Sneak peek of what I have running now (because of http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242517-game-titles-i-like-to-see-appearing-on-a8-hardware/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3437704)

attachicon.gifPushOver.jpg

*** EDIT ***

Now at 2,258,000,000 iterations and still improving. Normal Distance is down to 3.144972. I think I'll just let it run overnight and see how close it gets.

attachicon.gifPushOver.jpg

Wow, looks great. If we have the title screen, maybe someone want to code the game. ?! ... ;) :) :? :grin:

Found something interesting: http://sejfik.com/pages/images/uploads/bc3ef7a68df3.jpg

Anyone? :)

running.... ;)

Just happens that the places where noticeable differences/anomalies are visible are actually easy to rationalize to style choice or as in the foot - shadow. :P If you compare them directly, you notice something might be up. As seperate pieces, though - golden. And the brighter colors add their own thang.

Found something interesting: http://sejfik.com/pages/images/uploads/bc3ef7a68df3.jpg

Anyone? :)

Hey Mate. Just checked the converter after doing your frogs pic over the weekend.

I think that project isn't that easy and I'll start a few more trials.

post-41320-0-11353700-1455515123_thumb.jpg

Let me change some settings. I don't give up yet. :twisted:

Greetings, Mario

frog.xex

• Like 1

I think once again, the background is hurting it.

'shopping required, I'd take the original and turn everything above that dirt ripple just below underpant level into a sky background.

Just plain monochrome would be boring though, it'd need to be something that's graduated.

• Like 1

OK - I think this is about as good as it is going to get. Roughly 5.5 billion iterations, with a normal distance of 2.8.

attachicon.gifoutput.png

attachicon.gifPushOver.xex

Can you imagine if devs had this back in the day? 5.5 billion iterations for a loading screen, their minds would be blown! haha :lol: (but I think those cheeky brits would do it anyway)

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

With the way the Rasta converter works (I don't know the logic behind it, except that it uses player/missile graphics to extend the color palette), would it be possible, or has it been done already, to have a Rasta paint program? Converting graphics is great and all, but I'd like to do my own pictures from scratch with this kind of color abilities. Or, is there already an art program out there, like HIP or TIP or what ever that is capable of graphics of this magnitude? I've seen some great stuff made by some art programs like these, but even with lots of fantastic colors, they don't seem to be able to do stuff quite up to the snuff of the Rasta converter.

I don't really like using PC art programs and then just converting them into an Atari format, I really don't like using PC's for anything beyond using them for the Internet. I'd like to do some art like I've seen from the Rasta converter, but on my Atari from beginning to end. I'm aware of some art programs that use 256+ colors, but are all in the low-res GTIA modes, etc. I'm an artist, but haven't really done any art on the 8-bits since the 90's, and never anything using HIP or TIP or other modes, only programs like Technicolor Dreams and Rambrandt. Any suggestions? Can I get quality out of some of the newer HIP/TIP stuff like Rasta images? And if so, which ones are recommended?

I intend to start doing art again on my Atari, regardless if I can get results on it like Rasta converter without conversion, but it would be so wonderful to have something I can get results like Rasta, or very close, from scratch on my Atari.

Edited by Gunstar

There are two programs with capabilities to paint images close to RastaConverter: Graph2Font by Tebe for Windows and GED by John Harris for Atari. Not only sprites, their positions and colors can be set but also mid-line changes of the color registers. However mid-line changes are pain in the ass to use. It generally takes a lot of time to properly do color changes only at the beginning of the line... If you take a look at the best pictures done with Graph2Font then - they usually do not change colors a lot (except some gradients).

The situation with RastaConverter is different. Optimization process is so strong that a single color register is changed usually every few pixels. As the change is synchronized with screen drawing it means that majority of pixels on the screen have different palette. It's very hard to paint like this.

Tebe added experimentally reading of RastaConverter to Graph2Font. Unfortunately ANTIC emulation differences in both tools are so big that editing is not very usable. Proper emulation is complex (especially sprite repositioning) and even RC itself is not doing it properly which is visible as bugs on some conversions. Currently only Altirra implements it properly and RC was the reason to introduce there a proper emulation.

• Like 2

With the way the Rasta converter works (I don't know the logic behind it, except that it uses player/missile graphics to extend the color palette), would it be possible, or has it been done already, to have a Rasta paint program? Converting graphics is great and all, but I'd like to do my own pictures from scratch with this kind of color abilities. Or, is there already an art program out there, like HIP or TIP or what ever that is capable of graphics of this magnitude? I've seen some great stuff made by some art programs like these, but even with lots of fantastic colors, they don't seem to be able to do stuff quite up to the snuff of the Rasta converter.

I don't really like using PC art programs and then just converting them into an Atari format, I really don't like using PC's for anything beyond using them for the Internet. I'd like to do some art like I've seen from the Rasta converter, but on my Atari from beginning to end. I'm aware of some art programs that use 256+ colors, but are all in the low-res GTIA modes, etc. I'm an artist, but haven't really done any art on the 8-bits since the 90's, and never anything using HIP or TIP or other modes, only programs like Technicolor Dreams and Rambrandt. Any suggestions? Can I get quality out of some of the newer HIP/TIP stuff like Rasta images? And if so, which ones are recommended?

I intend to start doing art again on my Atari, regardless if I can get results on it like Rasta converter without conversion, but it would be so wonderful to have something I can get results like Rasta, or very close, from scratch on my Atari.

What's the point here? Take a decent pc painting program with all its functions and then convert it to the Atari.

What's the point here? Take a decent pc painting program with all its functions and then convert it to the Atari.

The point, once again, as I clearly stated in the post you quoted, is that I like doing art on an Atari, not a PC. Because I enjoy using my Atari as much as doing the art itself. Screw PC's. I'll do art traditionally with analog media (which means paint and brush), or on my Atari because I'm using my Atari. Isn't that why we are all here?!? Because we enjoy using and playing with our Atari's?!? I *may* one day get around to taking pictures of my traditional are media, and use Rastaconverter to get them onto my Atari, but aside from that, I hate using soulless PC's and only use mine for Internet and as a file server for my Atari, otherwise I hate PC's.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1