IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Yep, 7. It'd be interesting to see how the same image went if it was right-justified. In that case there's more free cycles for initial register loads after each WSync and also less contention with the refresh cycles that are mainly at the left of screen.

Good idea!

I'm doing one that has been shifted to the right a bit. It looks a bit odd as the left hand side of the lion is missing. Lets see what this comes up with. I've upped the solutions to 120,000 for all my new pics. I've not got it right on the very right hand side, so that it can do some useful midline colour changes which may come in useful.

And as I've predicted that someone will ask for a full screen (zoomed in) picture, I've got one of those on the go too, each on different cores of my quadcore.

3 pics going and one core for internet browsing :)

{EDIT} I now have 4 pics going, one is completely right justified and flipped so that the lion looks left.

Edited by snicklin
  • Like 1

Doing this with a black and white picture and getting a good result makes me think that perhaps that what we should be using RC for.

I find that sky scenes never seem to come out too well unless they're very horizontally aligned. This is due to the banding of colours in the sky.

Black and white pictures are already restricted in colour.

I also think that clearing out the background of images helps. Why waste colours on the background that nobody is interested in?

And with only 7 colours, and more technically possible on the scanline, there is less contention for the PMG colours, making it easier for RastaConverter.

I also think that images where errors can be difficult to see (such as this lion's mane) are much easier to convert. We'd probably only notice if his eyes, nose or mouth are wrong.

Doing this with a black and white picture and getting a good result makes me think that perhaps that what we should be using RC for.

I find that sky scenes never seem to come out too well unless they're very horizontally aligned. This is due to the banding of colours in the sky.

Black and white pictures are already restricted in colour.

I also think that clearing out the background of images helps. Why waste colours on the background that nobody is interested in?

And with only 7 colours, and more technically possible on the scanline, there is less contention for the PMG colours, making it easier for RastaConverter.

I also think that images where errors can be difficult to see (such as this lion's mane) are much easier to convert. We'd probably only notice if his eyes, nose or mouth are wrong.

You are absolutely right, I haven't been able to produce anything but shit with color! Why didn't I think of this before! From now on only B&W conversions for RC, and all others should follow suit too! :roll:

You are absolutely right, I haven't been able to produce anything but shit with color! Why didn't I think of this before! From now on only B&W conversions for RC, and all others should follow suit too! :roll:

Sorry, my comment wasn't aimed at your or anybody else's results as there have been some fantastic images in here, you've got some great ones. It's more that I've used colour before and pretty much the first time I've tried with B&W, it has come up with my best result so far, so was thinking out loud.

B&W kind of defeats the object of RC in some ways, but still if it can show more colours by placing the PM's well, it'll be a better result than I could ever achieve in G2F with my lack of skills.

Also worth considering: clipping out background details before conversion?

Everyone is welcome to do what ever they want with their images. I'm happy with the results I get the way I do it. I don't have a problem with banding skies or background details. If I'm going to spend time pre-editing pictures, I might as well just do my own artwork on my Atari with one or more of the advanced software mode graphic art programs. The whole point of Rastaconverter to me is getting an image on the Atari as close as possible to the original image, not editing or changing it to something else. And if I did start editing stuff, then the results would be posted in the G2F thread, not this one.

Edited by Gunstar

It is something that I did with the lion as there was a multi-colour, but pretty black background there. I felt that it could spend half of its time in trying to accurately represent the background, yet people's eyes are on the lion. Removing that background allowed more detail to go into the lion.

My feeling is that if people don't know the original image, then why would they be interested in the background? I don't enjoy the process of cleaning the image up, but after test converting the image with the background in, I get a more pleasing picture this way. I still have a lot to learn about optimising this process I feel.

Edited by snicklin
  • Like 1

Everyone is welcome to do what ever they want with their images. I'm happy with the results I get the way I do it. I don't have a problem with banding skies or background details. If I'm going to spend time pre-editing pictures, I might as well just do my own artwork on my Atari with one or more of the advanced software mode graphic art programs. The whole point of Rastaconverter to me is getting an image on the Atari as close as possible to the original image, not editing or changing it to something else. And if I did start editing stuff, then the results would be posted in the G2F thread, not this one.

Oh! This is entirely my fault! It looks like I had a failure of reading comprehension on my end. Sorry about that, I didn't intend to push any buttons. Carry on! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Oh! This is entirely my fault! It looks like I had a failure of reading comprehension on my end. Sorry about that, I didn't intend to push any buttons. Carry on! :thumbsup:

Hey, although you were responded to, I think that most of that comment was to me, so don't worry.

Neither of us intended any harm I feel, I know for definite that I didn't. I just want everyone to be able to express their findings and in time, we'll all become better than we are today at RC converting. No bad feelings wanted with anyone.

• Like 2

I've been converting the lions for over the last week. They reached around 3 billion iterations each.

Up to around 2 billion, the 240 line left hand side lion and the lion in the middle did OK as well as the right hand side lion facing left.

Then the right hand side lion pulled ahead quite significantly. I've quit the others and am leaving that running. It's on 3 billion and down to a norm dist of 0.80 or so and it is still going down reasonably fast considering how many iterations there are. There's still a blemish around the nose, so I am leaving it longer but stopped the others.

I also did a full screen lion which left no background. That did poorly, so I quit that after around 1.5 billion iterations.

• Like 1

Another one - oldschool bbs-tro-style artwork experiment :-D

post-41320-0-69537200-1520921130.png

btw NOMAM is a retro computer event in luebeck (germany) from 06. - 08. april '18

one main event there is the BASIC TENLINER CONTEST

http://gkanold.wixsite.com/homeputerium/basic-10liners-2018

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/274782-basic-ten-liners-are-back-for-2018/

Mario130xe_NOMAM18.xex

• Like 5

Another one - oldschool bbs-tro-style artwork experiment :-D

attachicon.gifMario130xe_NOMAM18.png

btw NOMAM is a retro computer event in luebeck (germany) from 06. - 08. april '18

one main event there is the BASIC TENLINER CONTEST

http://gkanold.wixsite.com/homeputerium/basic-10liners-2018

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/274782-basic-ten-liners-are-back-for-2018/

Hey Mario, you should do your avatar photo next, then you can use it instead of the actual photo!

The purpose of this topic is to have a place to show people Atari graphic capabilities and display our best conversions.

In my opinion, tests or tips for Jakub should be posted in Quantizator thread.

Instead of replies, please use "Like this" buttons (unless you want to reply with a picture!).

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

To obey my own rule ("posts without images are not allowed!"), I post again my Giger's Alien conversion (original, converted, .xex).

Please follow filenames rule: "Author's name_imagename".

attachicon.gifalien3.png attachicon.gifPhilsan_Alien.png

attachicon.gifPhilsan_Alien.xex

I like it. Almost looks handmade

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk