IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Such a picture takes approx. 22kbytes - not much memory left for the rest of the game then (except you target a 128k or 320k machine). And errm, the Rasta pictures look great from a distance, but if you sit closely to the monitor, e.g. typing in commands/text for the adv. game, then you can almost see every single pixel and most of all the many stripes... (just like Gr. 9+11 / 256 colour pictures that only look good from a distance)...

I just don't understand this thinking. What about all the graphic adventures we have now, that are in the same graphic resolution where you see every pixel but suffer from 4-5 colors?!? That's the way it is with old, low res computers! I kinda think these images would be a fantastic upgrade. What we got is already highly pixelated, so why not have highly pixelated with a hell of a lot more colors?!?

Do you stand back at a distance when you play all the thousands of video games we have in these highly pixelated resolutions?

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Usually the graphics for games are made to look good from close by on the system it was intended for.

RC pics are in a whole different area. Many are high resolution graphics meant for modern systems and can only be viewed on A8 when making concessions. The lower color spectrum of an A8 makes them pixelated but it's still amazing that it's possible to view them without interlacing.

Some look better than others because of the used colors. Each color only has 16 shades and on a PAL system there are many grades of blue, quite a few of green, but only 1 or 2 red ones. Even with such an imbalanced palette it seems to be possible to output something that can be recognized.

I just don't understand this thinking. What about all the graphic adventures we have now, that are in the same graphic resolution where you see every pixel but suffer from 4-5 colors?!? That's the way it is with old, low res computers! I kinda think these images would be a fantastic upgrade. What we got is already highly pixelated, so why not have highly pixelated with a hell of a lot more colors?!?

Do you stand back at a distance when you play all the thousands of video games we have in these highly pixelated resolutions?

Well,

the gfx adventures we have usually use standard Gr. 8/9/15 pics which have a length of approx. 8kbytes (or 7680 - 7684 Bytes), whereas Rasta pics use 22kbytes - a difference of approx. 14 kbytes. And for a 64k machine having/not having 14kbytes more/less memory available is quite a lot... ask a programmer what he can do with 14k more memory...

If I view standard Gr. 15 pics, there is no need to view them from a distance, not so with Rasta or Gr. 9+11 pics, where it is harder to recognize the full pic or certain areas when viewing them close to the monitor. The pics posted here look quite good in the preview on the PC (no wonder, since they have very low resolution for the PC, approx. 1/8 of its full resolution), not so on the A8 (where they are full resolution and every single pixel can be seen without the need of zooming in)... simply view the pics on the emulator in windowed mode and then view them again in fullscreen mode (upscaled to 300% or 400%) - see what I mean ?

Think it is a similar effect as with old ASCII pictures created with a typewriter, view them closely and you can see every single char., view them from a distance and you see the whole picture (mostly a girl / nude girl)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Each color only has 16 shades...

Since RC is based on Gr.15, I believe there's only 8 shades for each hue, for 128 colours max, at least on real original hardware.

Pretty sure same limit applies to PMG?

16 shades are only possible with Gr.9 type GTIA mode(s)

• Like 1

Nowadays we have big cartridges.

Therefore an adventure with Rastaconverter images could be made with a 1MB cart that runs on a 64KB machine.

And you don't get stripes, if source images are made or chosen knowing program's limitations.

• Like 2

could you run it again, or retouch... it just need a a couple dots to break up a couple of obvious lines.... I really like it..

As you request. I got tired of trying to get something satisfactory out of a couple other images for a while, and decided to come back to this one. After another 10 or so attempts, I think I finally got something better. I think the colors look best on a real Atari. The thing I didn't like about this one was a couple of lines in the horses. I am running one more attempt right now, with the exact same settings and just hoping those lines don't show up nor any others.

By the way (addressed to all), I have my 1200XL currently connected to a LED projector set at about a 50" screen size and it looks great to me, sitting about 4-5 feet away...of course it looks blocky, but it's an impressionistic painting to start with, and I think it just ads to the impressionism. The colors and shading looks great.

High Plains Drifters re-do. 60 colors.

post-149-0-69014800-1533349208.png

HighPlainsDrifters.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 8

In most cases I prefer hand-drawn pictures, but they take much more effort and time to create. The RC pictures are often very nice, but I have yet to see one that would surpass some of the best arts by the most talented Atari graphicians such as Powrooz or Odyn1ec.
There is a project that I have been working on since 2007, which involves drawing lots of large pictures (about half of the screen). I am slowly approaching the end but drawing about 40 fullscreen pictures is really not much fun :-)

In most cases I prefer hand-drawn pictures, but they take much more effort and time to create. The RC pictures are often very nice, but I have yet to see one that would surpass some of the best arts by the most talented Atari graphicians such as Powrooz or Odyn1ec.

There is a project that I have been working on since 2007, which involves drawing lots of large pictures (about half of the screen). I am slowly approaching the end but drawing about 40 fullscreen pictures is really not much fun :-)

Strip Poker Pro ?!? :grin:

• Like 1

On my LCD monitor(using upgrade, outputs and converter in my sig below), it looks quite red straight on, but it does look gold if I view it from an extreme angle...washed out color...like unmodded original color output on most Atari 8-bits.

post-149-0-80337300-1533828955_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Love these car art pics! They are making me wish (once again) I owned a PAL A8 setup.

Great conversions as usual.

Tell ya what, I'll do a couple NTSC conversions of these, as soon as I'm done with one that is currently running.

• Like 1

If red is showing as gold then your machine must have some big issue.

The usual problem with red is that on PAL machines colour 4 is more of a purple than red but on NTSC more towards red.

I'd have thought the best method of doing pics would be to use your home system palette, so you'd not get mismatch when running on your own hardware.

I'd have thought the best method of doing pics would be to use your home system palette, so you'd not get mismatch when running on your own hardware.

Sorry, but are you referring to someone specific here? Maybe you want to double check who said what? I can only figure you misread something somewhere...home system palette? I don't even know what that means...

Edited by Gunstar