IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

I tried that 'Swoosh' site and couldn't seem to get it right, so I went with Flashjazzcat's original suggestion of just enlarging in Paint. At least I know my way around computer paint programs. ;)

Rakotzbrucke. 60 colors.

post-149-0-97564300-1544471508_thumb.png

Rakotzbrucke.xex

• Like 8

The only problem is (if you see it as one), the resizing is introducing a ton of new colors. The above PlanetX is nearly 200,000 colors. I think the window capture of Altirra might be the better option.

Edit: Hmmm, It seems Windows, my browser or this web site has a hand in the extra colors. the 40 color image I posted here is still over 24000 colors as displayed on the website. The download of the file does have just 40 colors but what is being displayed is much more.

post-18691-0-64328600-1544536568_thumb.png

Edited by bfollett
  • Like 2

ok, so I'm posting big pictures everyone can see, but I don't like having to scroll my window to even see an entire post I made. So how can I now make these big images into thumbnails here, that are small until someone clicks on them?

I've found that generally the smaller pictures look better - mainly because the resolution is increased significantly vs the real thing.

I think if the current uploads could be made to 2/3rds the current size it could be a good compromise between viewability and quality.

• Like 3

I don't think the multiple should matter so long as it's an integer and there's no filtering/interpolation and the aspect ratio is kept near to correct.

Note that 160 mode pixels are rectangular at near to 2:1 ratio but our machines don't produce square pixels in either case - PAL is almost there but NTSC ones are too tall.

Edited by Rybags

Norman Rockwell Light Troubles. 85 colors. (not original title*)

Norman Rockwell Jolly St. Nic. 49 colors (not original title*)

*None of the Norman Rockwell images I downloaded have original names, so I just made up my own. I think the colors on these blend much better when viewed on a real Atari.

post-149-0-97959000-1544685660.png

post-149-0-37208100-1544685698.png

JollyStNicNR.xex

NRlighttroubles.xex

post-149-0-87951000-1544685881.png

post-149-0-17815500-1544685920.png

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I didn't allow myself enough time to do Xmas conversions. Those that I offer here need more work. At least, I think I've done better than last year.

For NTSC conversions you'll need my palettes and saturation=40. My palettes are intended to match my Ataris (as close as I could get anyway). Hopefully they work for you as well. Again, you'll need to crank the saturation up (a lot).

36 Colors

post-9154-0-07778000-1545674738.png

42 Colors

post-9154-0-63905700-1545674705.png

45 Colors

post-9154-0-20587300-1545674770.png

For PAL conversions (only one so far) use default palette with saturation=45.

42 Colors

post-9154-0-12570700-1545675702.png

Merry Christmas, Atarians!

-a8isa1

a8isa1_xmas_hot_chocolate.xex

a8isa1_xmas_blue_train.xex

a8isa1_xmas_wooden_train.xex

a8isa1_PAL_wooden_train.xex

• Like 11

I apologize if you were expecting Rasta images, I have more coming very soon. But I am posting with a question in the area of Rastaconverter palette's, as after working with RC for over 2 years now, I think I have some ideas about creating palettes to help with certain conversions.

To those who have made palettes, what app do I use to make palettes for Rasta?

Can I make them with Timanthes or Irfanview 64?

Also, how does it work, technically, in regards to the Atari computer and it's hard-wired palette?

On the Atari you either have 16 colors and 8 luminance levels or 16. But images done with Rasta are limited to 128 since it's an Antic mode. So when the displayed on the Atari, it has to use the Atari's 128 color palette that can't be changed, right? So how does that work? I know it does because images I make end up with different colors used in the final images, but how? You can't actually adjust the 128 color palette within the Atari's full 256 color palette can you? Isn't Antic restricted to the same 8 luminance values or is it possible to pick and choose from the Atari's 256?

Edited by Gunstar

Monster Hot Rod. 81 colors.

Even though this is a pretty decent conversion, the low resolution still loses a lot of detail as you know. So I want to clarify a couple of things to help your eyes discern what you are seeing here. Those are a pair of cartoon eyes "popping" out of the driver's window on the hot rod(I think that's still pretty clear, but just making sure), and the green monster next to it has it's mouth hanging open and with a few random teeth, the two red circles on the top of it's head are it's ears and the pair of eyes melded into one as the white area below the ears and above the mouth.

The third is a picture of the image on my monitor; I like to do once in a while to remind people how different the color is on a real machine, and whether I post images big or small, they still aren't what you'll see on the real thing. I personally think it would be more fun just to post .xex's and people see them for the first time on a real machine, or at least an emulator instead of .png's. (though since I don't use emulators much and never for Rasta, I don't know what they look like, maybe they look identical to the .png's for all I know)

And of course you aren't really seeing the real thing here either as it's a photo of the real thing, the camera made the grays and whites more blue tinted and it isn't as sharp as the real thing, but still closer to the real thing than the output.png from Rasta.

post-149-0-00892000-1545816704.png

post-149-0-11317900-1545816722.png

MonsterHotRod.xex

post-149-0-85254600-1545819121_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 7

If you resize without interpolation (just nearest neighbor), you won't introduce new colors. In that case, it's best to resize by multiples of 2.

Yes, I have to do this all the time in Photoshop when resizing screenshots. I prefer the screenshots to remain as "blocky" as they originally were, without introduction of smoothing or other artifacts as the image is scaled up. And you definitely want to scale in multiples of two, otherwise some pixels will be wider than others, which is especially apparent when you're working with fairly low-resolution images (such as Atari 2600 screenshots).

..Al

• Like 2

I'm just starting to play around with Rastaconverter and I have what I thought would be a simple question. How do you choose an NTSC color pallette. All the included pallettes seem to be PAL. Do I have to make an NTSC pallette and add it to the rastaconverter directory? If that is the case can someone post it here for me? Preferably the Altirra default NTSC color palette.

Thanks,

Bob

I'm just starting to play around with Rastaconverter and I have what I thought would be a simple question. How do you choose an NTSC color pallette. All the included pallettes seem to be PAL. Do I have to make an NTSC pallette and add it to the rastaconverter directory? If that is the case can someone post it here for me? Preferably the Altirra default NTSC color palette.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

In Altirra under View-->Adjust Colors you can select one of the default palettes. You can also adjust the palette with the slides in the Adjust Colors window. Click Export and generate a palette file that Rastaconverter can use. Save or move that file to the Palettes folder of Rastaconverter.

-a8isa1

Trucks of Route 66 original was a bit strange looking. It is either a photographic backdrop with the trucks and Rt. 66 sign pasted in, which themselves look like they are painted, or, the artist really went for a super-real photo-like oil-painted back drop and then got lazy on the trucks and didn't attempt photo realism with them. But then the sign and trucks aren't quite the right proportions for the background and the perspective of the blue truck especially seems odd. It all fits together better after the Rastaconverter grinder and the .xex is spit out. :P

Edited by Gunstar