IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

isn't cosmic girl going to be a multi platform picture? (doubtful for the Atari, but others yes?) Oh wow I just noticed he named it wrong... Could have sworn I read stephen_cosmicgirl.xex. The mind does strange things.

Edited by _The Doctor__

isn't cosmic girl going to be a multi platform picture? (doubtful for the Atari, but others yes?) Oh wow I just noticed he named it wrong... Could have sworn I read stephen_cosmicgirl.xex. The mind does strange things.

Doctor - you are correct. The original title of the image was Cosmic Girl. I failed to notice this, and misnamed my conversion Commodore Girl by mistake. I call my wife commiegirl (she grew up with C64), but I'm sure some people here would get butt-hurt over the use of the term commie :)

Also - I know nothing about the source of the image, other than Miker asking someone to convert it.

Hmm, I have a red car, I wonder how that would turn out...

What kind of car? I have owned two (and miss them both). A 2007 Mercury Cougar (24 valve 2.5L V6, 5-speed) and a 2006 Miata MX-5 convertible (2.0L 4, 6-speed, had 35,000 miles when I got rid of it in 2015)

• Like 1

I'm running two, one that I reduced the colors back to 16 and one that the source is unchanged. I've also already made several attempts with each at various settings and stopped them and started over. So far the 16 color source is averaging about twice as many colors in the output.

• Like 1

Well, I'm letting it process a while longer. It looked good in the preview, but when viewing on the machine, too many horizontal bands for my liking.

@Gunstar - what your average "normal distance (or is it distribution)" on the images you usually post? This one is down to 5.0, but there is still pronounced banding on the hotel sign hat I don't think will get smoothed out.

post-650-0-06463800-1548445661_thumb.png

post-650-0-69433100-1548445659.png

Stephen_C64_LoungeLizard.xex

• Like 2

Well, I'm letting it process a while longer. It looked good in the preview, but when viewing on the machine, too many horizontal bands for my liking.

@Gunstar - what your average "normal distance (or is it distribution)" on the images you usually post? This one is down to 5.0, but there is still pronounced banding on the hotel sign hat I don't think will get smoothed out.

attachicon.gifC64_Lounge_Lizard_Progress.png

attachicon.gifC64_Lounge_Lizard_Altirra.png

attachicon.gifStephen_C64_LoungeLizard.xex

I am still working on the image, attempting it with varying crops or resizing to see what looks best at the final 160x240. I haven't been happy with any results thus far, but I am determined to get a good picture out of it. It's actually harder to converter pictures with less color than Rastaconverter wants to use as the destination image in 320x240x256 colors comes out with about a 75 color image that then converts to 160x240x~35 colors in the output.

I am starting with the source ping I clicked on and downloaded from the link Miker gave, and it is 384x272x16 colors. I really didn't know the Commodore 64 had such a resolution or if that is from the translation to a .png image. So I'm attempting source images that are either cropped to 320x240x16 or are resized to 320x240x? colors then loaded into Rastaconverter. Now and in the past I've attempted to massage the source image with other programs like Timanthes with palette changes to Atari from Commodore etc., but that just makes a mess of things when starting with a .png image too, instead of an original C64 format image (whatever they are called). I may try downloading the C64 file of the picture and translate that through Timanthes.

So what is your source? Am I just going about this the wrong way and I should be starting with the original C64 file and not the .png file? I haven't loaded your .xex yet, but will right now, but judging from the .png image posted, you've had more success with it than I so far. I just don't have enough experience converting .png or .jpg images of less than 256 color palette and 128 color palette that Rastaconverter works with for converting destination images to Atari outputs. I just loaded your .xex and I really don't see any horizontal banding you are talking about on my PAL Atari. Is this a PAL image you posted? It looks pretty damn good to me and maybe I should just concede to your success with it. :thumbsup: I'll post a picture below of your .xex on my system.

It's actually a lot more work involved what ever route I take in the conversion than an image starting out with more colors than are finally used. But I'm learning. I'll post my best, from the source .png image I'm working with now, however bad or good they end up, before the end of the weekend.

As to the color distance, I haven't been paying attention to that and I never do, for any conversions I do. So far I think I've done pretty well not concerning myself with it. My judgment to how good an image is coming along is all by my own eyes, and adjustments are made based on what I see with my eyes and not any numbers on the conversion window.

post-149-0-88288800-1548518886_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Gunstar - here are the steps I used for that C64 lounge lizard image.

1. Downloaded the image miker linked to, saved it as you said, a 384*272 png.
  2. Using the free FastStone image viewer, I cropped all of the black borders. This left me with I think a 318 * 187 pixel image.
  3. I then expanded the "canvas" size to 320*240. This leaves the source image unaltered, and centers it in a black 320*240 image. FastStone will let you pick any colour you want when changing the canvas size, so you are not just limited to doing this with black background images.
  4. Loaded the image in Rasta Convertor. My settings were:
  • Color Distance - YUV, Initial State = Random, Number Solutions = 10,000
  • Pallette = laoo (it defaults to this, and I never really bother nor remember to test others)
  • No mask, No dither, No changes to brightness, contrast, or gamma on this image

So yes, this image was converted using a PAL palette, and I have Altirra setup as a PAL system. I have made zero tweaks to any settings in the Altirra emulator, and I am using version 3.20 test 12.

• Like 1

So we are pretty much doing it the same, as far as .png image pre-prep, I'm just using IrfanView 64 for my prepping instead of FastStone image viewer. I usually start images with Altirra palette as it generally looks best to me when the end result is viewed on my real PAL Atari, but I try most of them if I don't like what I see at first with the Altirra palette. YUV is my color distance of choice, to start with as well in most cases. I never bother with masking and do always start with default levels on the main chroma/luma adjustments. Dither is used little, and when used always reduced to .03/.04 because I feel a lot of dithering even default levels, just look bad at such a low resolution. I'm not using dithering here either. Solutions I usually choose between 1024 or 4096, I don't know if it helps, but I like to think so keeping it in the multiples of 8 bit/byte standards our computers have gone by since forever, for Rastaconverter to deal with in it's number crunching and more than that just slows the process down to much for me on my machine and actually seems to allow the occurrence of line-segment errors to appear when the .xex's are loaded on real machines. But otherwise, it seems we basically start off going about it the same way.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1