IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Question for all - is there a program that can let me say get a preview of an image with boosted saturation / contrast / levels, such that I can really pixel perfect erase all of a background to black, but not actually change the levels, then do the erase, then try to revert the levels? Hope this makes sense.

Well, you can load the finished .xex or actually I think you make a MCH file in Rasta and load that up into G2F and make it all as perfect as possible down to the pixel. But of course it is then a G2F .xex image you've made in the end and not an imperfect direct Rastaconverter .xex image anymore. For me the fun of Rastaconverter is seeing how close to perfect can be reached with any given image without further pre or post editing than is necessary for proper scale and ration, etc.

But yes, you can also use G2F to touch things up pre-rasta conversion too, I think, I don't use it so I'm not sure what's involved, but lot of the guys here do know. Maybe it's just swapping MCH files between G2F and Rastaconverter or similar. I think using masking is the same basic principal too. Again, I never have actually made a mask and I used one made for me once.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Hi!

Question for all - is there a program that can let me say get a preview of an image with boosted saturation / contrast / levels, such that I can really pixel perfect erase all of a background to black, but not actually change the levels, then do the erase, then try to revert the levels? Hope this makes sense.

Using GIMP image editor, in the menu "View", "Display filters...", you can add a gamma or contrast filter and set to a high value, so you view a filtered version of the image without modifying it.

• Like 1

Hi!

Using GIMP image editor, in the menu "View", "Display filters...", you can add a gamma or contrast filter and set to a high value, so you view a filtered version of the image without modifying it.

Thank you - that is exactly what I need.

In honour of today's 32nd Royal Rumble. I should have mentioned before - almost all of my pictures are PAL.

I have no idea how Vince's lawyers lost to the damn World Wildlife Federation. Would anyone confuse the two company abbreviations?

post-650-0-42383300-1548607681.png

This is a cheat. I know that hand pixelling this in G2F would look super crisp, but I was experimenting with the gamma and brightness settings.

post-650-0-52888100-1548607683.png

This should need no explanation. Five years before his iconic defeat of the Iron Shiek, the Hulkster was absolutely massive. No doubt juiced to the gills.

post-650-0-15004200-1548607682.png

Say what you will, but forty years later, the Hulkster is out to prove that Hulkamania really is immortal!

post-650-0-92586800-1548607682.png

Finally, we have the beautiful Irish lass-kicker Becky Lynch wearing her war paint.

post-650-0-26268300-1548607684.png

All screenshots were taken using untouched Altirra PAL settings. Above images were a combination of laoo and Altirra palette.

Stephen_WWF.xex

Stephen_Wrestlemania.xex

Stephen_HulkHogan1979.xex

Stephen_HulkHogan2019.xex

Stephen_BeckyLynchBustedFace.xex

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember if I ever posted this conversion. I've tried many times to improve upon it but with no success.

post-9154-0-27815200-1549309460_thumb.jpg

looks better on my new (to me, circa 2000) CRT TV than it does on my laptop's LCD. It looks reasonably good on my phone. I mean the screenshot does.

NTSC only

a8isa1_54vette.xex

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 11

Ok, found this:

https://demozoo.org/graphics/199009/

Should look cool albeit it's a bit higher resolution.

Please give it a try. :)

Well, I had it done, looked awesome in the preview. I just learned an important lesson - do not use the "Grey" palette. It turned into a psychadelic skull :) Should only take another 15 minutes to re-convert and I'll post. This one was very easy, because the unaltered source image was only 7 colours.

Well, I had it done, looked awesome in the preview. I just learned an important lesson - do not use the "Grey" palette. It turned into a psychadelic skull :) Should only take another 15 minutes to re-convert and I'll post. This one was very easy, because the unaltered source image was only 7 colours.

Superb! :) :thumbsup:

Well, not very happy with this one at all. Too many colours per line. I am posting this crappy version along with my source as a learning experience.

What I did:

• Took a direct screen capture from MAME. Careful cropping got me an image of 331*242. Close enough I said, and resized to an exact 320*240
  • Using FastStone, I reduced from the original 20,000 colour image down to 7-bit (128 colour). Note - this did not let me choose the palette, it only reduced overall colours.
  • Rasts settings were quite basic. YUV, Altirra palette, 10,000 solutions, no dither.

Source:

post-650-0-55326700-1549831932.png

Screenshot:

post-650-0-58960500-1549831884.png

Executable:

Stephen_Escape.xex

• Like 8