IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Not the best photos given the background, need to find a better spot when I have some time..

attachicon.gifModel3_2.jpg

These have small line errors. They are a little more conspicuous in the PAL conversion.

You will see some lines that are not errors. I used 'line' dither. In some areas the dithering blends better than in other areas.

post-9154-0-37406600-1551312975.png post-9154-0-69247200-1551313041.png

a8isa1_tesla_model3_NTSC.xex a8isa1_tesla_model3_PAL.xex

The above xex files are intended to be used with my palettes (see my sig) with saturation 40. The NTSC palette is set to match as best as I can with 800XL and my TV (a year 2000ish CRT model).

Here's a screen of my TV (NTSC).

post-9154-0-07090200-1551313872_thumb.jpg

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 9

These have small line errors. They are a little more conspicuous in the PAL conversion.

You will see some lines that are not errors. I used 'line' dither. In some areas the dithering blends better than in other areas.

attachicon.giftesla_model3_atari800_NTSC.png attachicon.giftesla_model3_atari800_PAL.png

attachicon.gifa8isa1_tesla_model3_NTSC.xex attachicon.gifa8isa1_tesla_model3_PAL.xex

The above xex files are intended to be used with my palettes (see my sig) with saturation 40. The NTSC palette is set to match as best as I can with 800XL and my TV (a year 2000ish CRT model).

Here's a screen of my TV (NTSC).

attachicon.giftesla_model3_TV.jpg

These really are stunning.

• Like 2

That's beautiful. I can almost see & hear Bill Alexander (the teacher that Bob Ross stole from, copied from, etc. - fuck Bob Ross) painting that. If you're not familiar with the story, please look it up. I hate seeing good people trashed and forgotten (Bill).

• Like 5

Hi!

I tried a few sunset images, but discovered that large zones with gradients don't convert as good as I would like :)

/threads=4 /s=1000 /i=zuri.png /o=zuri-1 /pal=ntsc /save=1000000

post-18634-0-48791600-1551619130.png zuri-1.xex

/threads=4 /s=10000 /i=calama.png /o=calama-1 /pal=ntsc /save=4000000 /dither=line

post-18634-0-50701100-1551619352.png calama-1.xex

/threads=4 /s=10000 /i=vina.png /o=vina-1 /pal=ntsc /save=4000000 /dither=line /dither_val=2

post-18634-0-68019700-1551619489.png

vina-1.xex

• Like 5

Hi!

I tried a few sunset images, but discovered that large zones with gradients don't convert as good as I would like :)

/threads=4 /s=1000 /i=zuri.png /o=zuri-1 /pal=ntsc /save=1000000

attachicon.gifzuri-1.png attachicon.gifzuri-1.xex

/threads=4 /s=10000 /i=calama.png /o=calama-1 /pal=ntsc /save=4000000 /dither=line

attachicon.gifcalama-1.png attachicon.gifcalama-1.xex

/threads=4 /s=10000 /i=vina.png /o=vina-1 /pal=ntsc /save=4000000 /dither=line /dither_val=2

attachicon.gifvina-1.png

dmsc, you've done much better with gradients than I have been able to manage, especially in your middle picture. (I avoid clear skies when I can for this reason). However, in your picture I count 11 graduations. Pretty good considering Antic modes only have 8 grey levels. Dithering is a benefit in your conversion.

For your bottom picture you might want to try /dither_val=0.3 and play around with /dither_rand, perhaps starting at 2.0.

This has to be the most epic thread on Atariage that I have ever seen.

Is there an FAQ or beginner's guide to Rastaconverter? I would like to read about this and learn from the beginning. Sorry if this is an elementary question. It is quite amazing that the A8 can make my jaw drop in 2019. Such is the intrigue of the machine that was obviously ahead of its time and remains special to this day.

JW

I made those Basic Intructions for Rastaconverter with GUI

More infos can be found on "Open help file" or help.txt.

Download Rastaconverter GUI (scroll page till RC GUI) and exctract.

Double-click on RCGUI.exe.
Click on the box under "File" and select a 320x240 PNG image to be converted.
In "Number of solutions" I suggest to enter the value "10000".
It is possible to change other settings, the most important of which are "Dithering" and "Palette" (for PAL I suggest the "Altirra", "laoo" or "OlivierP" palettes).
You can also ask the program to privilege some parts of the image by creating a "Details mask" file; white areas of this mask will indicate to the program to which areas pay more attention. To load this file, click on the box "Mask".
The preview of the final result can be viewed by clicking on "Preprocess preview"; this step is useful to quickly test best settings.
By clicking on "Convert!" the conversion process starts and a window with three images will appear: the first is the source image, the second is the current result of the conversion, the third is the teorethical final result (not always reachable!).
When you are satisfied with the result of the center image, press "S" key to save, close the window by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner, click on "Create executable file" and give a name to the executable file that will be created in program's folder.
Now, if you have associated an emulator with the "xex" files, it will open and show you the result of your conversion.

• Like 1

Hi!

dmsc, you've done much better with gradients than I have been able to manage, especially in your middle picture. (I avoid clear skies when I can for this reason). However, in your picture I count 11 graduations. Pretty good considering Antic modes only have 8 grey levels. Dithering is a benefit in your conversion.

For your bottom picture you might want to try /dither_val=0.3 and play around with /dither_rand, perhaps starting at 2.0.

Thanks, will try again next weekend. On Sunday, I tried two more pictures and finally was able to modify the assembler output to center my pictures vertically:

post-18634-0-50750900-1551752995.png atacama-1.xex

Here, the sea and beach are great, but the building never actually got together :) :

post-18634-0-35431200-1551753020.png playa1.xex

And I kept the "Viña del Mar" picture until 1.3 billion tries (and centered the XEX):

post-18634-0-87384000-1551753119.png vina-2.xex

As expected, the "Atacama" cloudy image seems better, but is really different from the source:

post-18634-0-92636500-1551753197.png

• Like 5