IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Federation Duo. 61 colors.

That's the kind of worthy pictures. 99% of other 8 bit computers to the middle of the 80s could not show such pictures.

But I find it odd, posting ingame pictures where the content of the graphics is limited to fluent movement during the gameplay on other systems that were fully taking use of CPU on the Atari.

It's not comparable .

If you want to know what that would look like, go watch some Sega CD FMV. It would just be smoother at 60fps, I think Sega CD did 15-25fps...

Edited by Gunstar

On the wishlist: 60FPS rastaconverter streaming video :)

Xuel already did some Rasta converter videos - but:

- they were/are emulator only files (one big XEX file with a size beyond 16MB)

- not sure if they do have 60fps (my eyes and brain cannot count that fast)

e.g. IM2 (Ironman 2), Birds, Epic, etc.

I also do not know if Rasta converter images could be streamed with 60fps (NTSC) or 50fps (PAL) on the A8, think phaeron would know if that's possible or not...

I also do not know if Rasta converter images could be streamed with 60fps (NTSC) or 50fps (PAL) on the A8, think phaeron would know if that's possible or not...

Even 5-10FPS would probably be pretty impressive on real hardware. I guess the challenge would how much data can be loaded in the remaining VBLANK cycles... maybe free up more by using less than 240 lines. For the picture, ie 192 like a standard Atari screen. More than about 208 are off the top and bottom of my NTSC 1702 monitor anyway...

The average RC pic is about 23K - possibly smaller ones could bring it a little under 20K.

It's been a while but from memory the best IDE type devices get 75K + throughput by blanking the screen.

I suspect that doing an RC movie over 3 FPS might be beyond their capabilties.

900K worth of buffering on a big memory system can help but only to the point of giving about 45 frames in memory.

The average RC pic is about 23K - possibly smaller ones could bring it a little under 20K.

It's been a while but from memory the best IDE type devices get 75K + throughput by blanking the screen.

I suspect that doing an RC movie over 3 FPS might be beyond their capabilties.

900K worth of buffering on a big memory system can help but only to the point of giving about 45 frames in memory.

Well,

I was talking about phaeron's trick which gives you 50fps (PAL) or 60fps (NTSC) with approx. 500k/s throughput. This currently works with SIDE/SIDE-2 and AVG cart. and with Gr.9+11 pics/resolution (256 colour movies running directly from the CF/SD card, so theres some gigabytes of memory available). http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211689-60-fps-video-using-side-2/

If we assume a Gr.9+11 pic has 8k, then PAL would be 8x50 = 400k/s and NTSC 8x60 = 480k/s. So, with standard Rasta pics (approx. 22k in size) we will never reach 50fps or 60fps, but maybe 25 or 30 fps would be doable, IF Rasta pics are limited to 160x192 pixels and max. 16kbytes size ?!? If that still does not work, I vote for Gr. 15 with PAL blending (160x192 or 160x200 pixels with up to 16 colours) and greyscale HIP (160x192 or 160x200 with approx. 30 greyscales). The greyscales could be good for displaying old b+w movies...

Well,

I was talking about phaeron's trick which gives you 50fps (PAL) or 60fps (NTSC) with approx. 500k/s throughput. This currently works with SIDE/SIDE-2 and AVG cart. and with Gr.9+11 pics/resolution (256 colour movies running directly from the CF/SD card, so theres some gigabytes of memory available). http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211689-60-fps-video-using-side-2/

If we assume a Gr.9+11 pic has 8k, then PAL would be 8x50 = 400k/s and NTSC 8x60 = 480k/s. So, with standard Rasta pics (approx. 22k in size) we will never reach 50fps or 60fps, but maybe 25 or 30 fps would be doable, IF Rasta pics are limited to 160x192 pixels and max. 16kbytes size ?!? If that still does not work, I vote for Gr. 15 with PAL blending (160x192 or 160x200 pixels with up to 16 colours) and greyscale HIP (160x192 or 160x200 with approx. 30 greyscales). The greyscales could be good for displaying old b+w movies...

It's not just throughput though. Phaeron's movie player works by exploiting the fact that the ANTIC character fetch and an IDE register line up ($D500 IIRC). The movie simply is rendering a text screen, each character one pixel tall. These Rasta images are full 2600-style kernels, every line having different precise mid-scanline changes going on. So just pumping data to fixed screen wouldn't work.

• Like 3

If you are looking for higher resolution FMV that what the A8 can stream now, I'd look to some of the HIP/TIP/RIP/etc. (which ever ones with the ~160 horizontal resolution that Rasta uses) modes that can do 64+ colors instead of trying to make Rasta images into FMV, it would be about as good considering Rasta averages about 64 colors per picture anyway. You just get a bit of flickering with the HIP/TIP/etc. modes but I think it would still be better than the current FMV's 80x192x256, minus resolution lost from any letter-boxing standard.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Not sure if the current FMV's are 80x192x256 - to me they look more like 80x96x256. That's why I would like to see FMV's with less colours (64, 32, 16 or just greyscales), but with higher resolution. But that does not belong to this thread, I think. Anyways, Nezgar wanted 60fps Rasta movies - alas, not doable, it seems...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Not sure if the current FMV's are 80x192x256 - to me they look more like 80x96x256. That's why I would like to see FMV's with less colours (64, 32, 16 or just greyscales), but with higher resolution. But that does not belong to this thread, I think. Anyways, Nezgar wanted 60fps Rasta movies - alas, not doable, it seems...

Well, technically, the screen resolution is still 192 vertically, but it takes two alternating lines to create a full pixel, so then the image resolution is 96 vertically. That's progressive resolution with alternating graphic mode lines, then you can do it interlaced which introduces flickering, but the image is then a full 192. Though I don't think that's been done for FMV (I haven't seen A8 FMV on the real thing, just Youtube videos).

Edited by Gunstar

Anyways, Nezgar wanted 60fps Rasta movies - alas, not doable, it seems...

It would be cool to see them streamed at any frame rate, but may not be possible to load the next while keeping on the previous on the screen at the same time at any rate faster than a fast slide show due to the significant CPU cycles consumed to 'race the beam'.

23K would be barely possible to load a 2nd rasta into the base 48K with the 'active' one and switching double-buffer style when done loading..

It would be cool to see them streamed at any frame rate, but may not be possible to load the next while keeping on the previous on the screen at the same time at any rate faster than a fast slide show due to the significant CPU cycles consumed to 'race the beam'.

23K would be barely possible to load a 2nd rasta into the base 48K with the 'active' one and switching double-buffer style when done loading..

I demoed 30FPS "RastaMovies" on a 600XL using my 140MB memory expansion back in 2012. You can read about it and see a YouTube video here.

I think the technique could be applied to a 128MB The!Cart cart. It's a little tricky since the max bank size on The!Cart is only 16KB so a bank switch would have to occur mid-screen if you want full-screen video.

• Like 5

Full Burn from Whitefall. 36 colors. (Firefly-Brown coats unite!)

I'm not entirely happy with this one because after many, many attempts I could never get the blue halo from the top left ship engine's burn to complete the partial circle. EVERY time it cut it flat on the bottom (even though it would sometimes appear complete, briefly, during conversion, in the end it always cut it flat!!! :mad: ). The bright partial circle directly under the Engine's burn halo is a mostly obscured moon, not part of the engine-burn halo; it's brightness overwhelms the rest of the halo. But everything else is good, so after all the trouble I just couldn't discard it.

post-149-0-26309700-1559780863.png

FullBurnfromWhitefall.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 10