IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

• 2 weeks later...

Really @miker ?!? Another C64 image? Why don't you just look at them on a C64. I'm not doing anymore C64 Rastaconversions myself. Rastaconverter and the graphics images it creates on our Atari's deserve so much better than 16 colors from C64. I'd be happy to convert anything for you except more c64 images.

If anyone converts this, it should be left at 180x180 boxed on Rastaconverter, if you zoom in it will look terrible, the pixels will be GTIA sized.

Edited by Gunstar

49 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Really @miker ?!? Another C64 image? Why don't you just look at them on a C64. I'm not doing anymore C64 Rastaconversions myself. Rastaconverter and the graphics images it creates on our Atari's deserve so much better than 16 colors from C64. I'd be happy to convert anything for you except more c64 images.

If anyone converts this, it should be left at 180x180 boxed on Rastaconverter, if you zoom in it will look terrible, the pixels will be GTIA sized.

Hmm... C64 picture ? Where does a C64 get all the colors from? It contains only 13 colors, but colors don't mean "Colors".  The green levels even Amiga cannot show that way. It seems to be a 13 color picture out of 24 bit.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 7:34 PM, Stephen said:

Because people love the C64 conversions :)

output.png.3a5cf49e522061cbd4a5e2dce531a9ab.png

Stephen_FlatCountry_C64.xex 22.26 kB · 25 downloads

I don't mind converted C64 images if they are done by someone else and I like the subject matter, or it's show's good artist's skills within the limitations of the graphics. But I don't want to do them anymore myself, and I would rather spend my very long time, converting images to be of subject matter that takes more advantage of Rasta's color and resolution abilities. I downloaded this one as I happen to think it's really good pixel art, regardless of the subject matter and color limitations. And of course you did a superb conversion job!

Back in the day, when all I had was 4-5 color, single Antic mode graphics paint programs, with no DLI option, before I got RamBrandt Art studio and Technicolor dream and later mixed-mode image viewers, I was impressed and jealous of C64 16 color graphic art, like this, when I could still only use 4-5 colors on screen. 

There was a time when I was NOT impressed, but disappointed with the 128 color palette of the Atari, like it was mostly useless for me as an artist since I was limited to 4-5 at a time, I didn't care how many I could choose from.  I  felt suckered by "false advertizing" by Atari of the 128/256 color Atari palette, when I could still only use 4 colors at a time in 160x192 resolution, and the low-res GTIA modes that reminded me of low-res 2600 graphics. When I saw 160x200 16 color C64 graphics (but I didn't know of the C64's smaller palette at the time) until I saw what the power of the A8 could do with the GTIA modes and how much more impressive they could be, with the extra memory and processing power, and mode-mixing, than similar low-res 128 color palette graphics of the 2600. And the ability to use DLI's and mix graphic modes as well as colors by using them, I've continued to be impressed by something new all these years later. And have long since come to realize that Jay Miners 8-bit really was/is an Amiga Jr. like what's his name of Dropzone fame commented.

But not afterwards, and especially for what I could do once I got Rambrandt with it's DLI options, as an artist with careful planning of color usage and DLI's, I could make a much more impressive picture *technically-if-not-artistically* with far more on-screen colors, and not just a bunch of rainbow-banding graphics like Alternate Reality The City graphic art. But if it's a well done piece of art, I like it, 16 colors or B/W, or whatever.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I remember and APAC/Interlaced APAC version of that house! It was one of my favorites! Of course it wasn't a conversion from another computer unless 256 color VGA was out by the time the APAC version was done. Maybe it was from an Amiga though, from one of the Amiga's software graphic modes, can't the Amiga due graphic tricks and interlacing to get 256 or even the full 4096 colors in a static image? I seem to remember some very good Amiga pictures that Spectrum 512 conversion of them on the ST looked almost as good as when they were converted.

Edited by Gunstar

8 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I remember and APAC/Interlaced APAC version of that house!

I remember that too - but have no idea where to find it for comparison. (...but I'm pretty sure @CharlieChaplin will... )

8 hours ago, Gunstar said:

full 4096 colors in a static image

That would be the HAM-mode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hold-And-Modify

No post without image, so here one where you cannot be sure if the banding is part of the source or conversion... ?

Trees.png.c575712e8dba22e0106801e11087bd58.png

Trees.xex

• Like 11

21 hours ago, Irgendwer said:

At your service (AFAIK JD Sachs House wasn't converted yet) :

C64:

https://c64pixels.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=21244&g2_serialNumber=2

Amiga:

DREAMHSE.png.b6fad62bb04efdc307872f43f51e2be9.png

Amiga -> RC -> A8:

output.png.c72e837c18f3e12e833f8da4cd40595f.png

DREAMHOUSE.xex 21.56 kB · 17 downloads

This is another conversion that I find looks even better on my real Atari as it stands(my upgraded Atari, as opposed to stock), due to true Atari color palette instead of an emulated one like is used on Rasta. Once you see the .xex run with the real color palette, generally the colors look much better and blend better or whatever. Banding can be less prevalent (and also sometimes more of course) because of the color change on a real Atari. And more colors often show up that I don't perceive in the .png image unless I zoom in. Or the real color has more luma or color space separation than adjoining pixels or whatever. And colors are much more vibrant, without being over-saturated, on my 1200XL's S-video chroma than in .png images. But maybe I just need to turn up the color saturation on my PC? The colors look well saturated, on other things besides Rasta converter output .png's. 

Note: Not responsible for claims made here if your Atari isn't upgraded as brilliantly as mine with brilliantly improved video output from all devices involved.

Edited by Gunstar

4 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

This is another conversion that I find looks even better on my real Atari as it stands(my upgraded Atari, as opposed to stock), due to true Atari color palette instead of an emulated one like is used on Rasta. Once you see the .xex run with the real color palette, generally the colors look much better and blend better or whatever. Sometimes banding is less prevalent because of the color change on a real Atari. And more colors often show up that I don't I can't perceive in the .png image unless I zoom in. Or the real color has more luma or color space separation than adjoining pixels or whatever.

The picture really shows the advantage of the Atari's palette .... in the house. It looks a little like the Amiga original. But the Garden part looks like befallen by some disease. If someone drew this picture natively , it would look marvelous.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, emkay said:

If someone drew this picture natively , it would look marvelous.

I agree with that.

And, unfortunately, the Rasta images I've taken pictures of from my Atari set-up never look the same either. I keep trying, but the colors/tint always change, and it's always over-saturated (especially reds/browns and blues) and looks darker. I've tried adjustments from both ends to try and improve the screen shots or edit them as close as possible to what it looks like on my Atari, with them side-by-side on Atari & PC screens. Without much luck.

The picture of the Dream House below is really bad. The over-saturated reds are perfectly saturated browns in real-life, for example.

IMG_20190721_154540.jpg

IMG_20190721_154616.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

15 hours ago, Irgendwer said:

I remember that too - but have no idea where to find it for comparison. (...but I'm pretty sure @CharlieChaplin will... )

?

Think the house picture came on a disk with Technicolour Dream pictures and I converted them into Apac (by sacrificing some lines, since TD has approx. 80x110 resolution, whereas the Apac format I used had only 80x96 resolution)...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I agree with that.

And, unfortunately, the Rasta images I've taken pictures of from my Atari set-up never look the same either. I keep trying, but the colors/tint always change, and it's always over-saturated (especially reds/browns and blues) and looks darker. I've tried adjustments from both ends to try and improve the screen shots or edit them as close as possible to what it looks like on my Atari, with them side-by-side on Atari & PC screens. Without much luck.

The picture of the Dream House below is really bad. The over-saturated reds are perfectly saturated browns in real-life, for example.

IMG_20190721_154540.jpg

IMG_20190721_154616.jpg

Mhmmm...

Saw your image and it kind of looked odd (to me)....

So decided to run .exe image on actual 800 +  color-calibrated NTSC Analog-to-Digital video path (800->DVDO iScan->Viewsonic VP930b) and this is what I got (photo from iPhone, real image is much warmer and top blue band is much paler, in reality):

208698A3-9C29-47B4-9677-577B87C5FC6E.jpeg

In actual image/ screen, all browns appear much more brownish, and yellows much more yellowish.... but there is NOTHING red, of any kind.

This is, again, a full NTSC frame from actual 800 hardware.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 3