IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:42 PM, drpeter said:

Being a woodcut print of some vintage, the appearance of any one print today will vary depending on a variety of factors: the inks and paper chosen and how they have interacted and degraded over time during display and storage, how the ink was spread and blended on the blocks, the printing technique and alignment of the blocks used for different colours (with some random variation), variation in any by-hand drawing or touching-up done after the print.  In some cases, there may also have been more than one set of blocks made, or replaced over time.  There are for example significant variations in the exact patterns in the waves seen in different examples of this print in galleries around the world.

Furthermore, there have been at least 4 stages of digital image processing involved in producing my image: the original photograph, post-processing before posting on the Web, pre-processing and cropping in preparation for Rasta and finally the Rasta conversion itself.

Something like this ?

It's not a perfect conversion yet, I'm still working on it...

output_3.png

VERY NICE !!!

Gamma is a bit off (e.g. mid-tones set towards the bright-side of the scale... I would dial them a bit lower, make it look creamier...)

But nonetheless., surprised how WELL it gets reproduced on Atari's spatial + color capabilities...

OK, back on topic....

Detail from Ophelia

Ophelia (1852) is a painting in the Pre-Raphaelite style by British artist Sir John Everett Millais.
Held in the collection of Tate Britain in London it depicts Ophelia, a character from William Shakespeare's play Hamlet.

The model in the painting is Dante Gabriel Rosseti's muse and future wife the 21-year-old Elizabeth Siddal, later an important artist and poet in her own right, who posed daily over the course of many months floating fully clothed in a bathtub of water kept heated by oil lamps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mad with grief for her father Polonius- murdered by the hand of Hamlet- the wandering Ophelia falls accidentally into a river where, apparently incapable of acting to save herself, she sings distractedly until dragged beneath the waters.

Hamlet Act 4 Scene 7

QUEEN GERTRUDE
One woe doth tread upon another’s heel,
So fast they follow.—Your sister’s drowned, Laertes.

LAERTES
Drowned? Oh, where?

QUEEN GERTRUDE
There is a willow grows aslant a brook
That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream.
There with fantastic garlands did she come
Of crowflowers, nettles, daisies, and long purples,
That liberal shepherds give a grosser name,
But our cold maids do “dead men’s fingers” call them.
There, on the pendant boughs her coronet weeds
Clambering to hang, an envious sliver broke,
When down her weedy trophies and herself
Fell in the weeping brook. Her clothes spread wide,
And mermaid-like a while they bore her up,
Which time she chanted snatches of old lauds
As one incapable of her own distress,
Or like a creature native and indued
Unto that element. But long it could not be
Till that her garments, heavy with their drink,
Pulled the poor wretch from her melodious lay
To muddy death.

output_mod.png

drpeter_Ophelia.xex

• Like 12

Itsukushima Shrine (Chinese characters).svg

Summer Moon Seen from Itsukushima Shrine

Woodblock print, Tsuchiya Koitsu 1936

Itsukushima, commonly known as Miyajima, is a historic sacred island set in the Seto inland sea off the coast of Hiroshima, Japan.

It is best known for its 'floating' vermilion Shinto torii gate, which is surrounded by the sea at high tide and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, but there are numerous other shrines and attractions scattered across the island which is a popular tourist attraction.

This view of the moonlit shrine predates the nocturnal illumination that now keeps the torii gate brightly visible day and night.

The striking violet tint in the clouds is sometimes seen in brightly moonlit coastal scenes and is not (necessarily) artistic license! 

86 colours

output_11.png

drpeter_Miyajima.xex

• Like 10

On 10/1/2019 at 9:50 AM, ilmenit said:

Sorry for misunderstanding. I understood the last posts that there were new issues discovered in Altirra and pictures displayed there were different from real Atari. RastaConverter to have the problem fixed would require serious refactoring and neither me nor Phaeron has time for this. Even simpler approach of identification problematic cases would be quite time consuming.

I must thank you for creating such a great tool in the form of RastaConverter. As you've noticed, it's become something of a fun obsession for me!

I'm curious- how do the rendered images avoid showing stripes in the borders as COLBAK changes?  These stripes appear when the image is converted to a Graph2Font file...

With best wishes (and again, many thanks)

Peter

On 10/25/2019 at 1:42 PM, drpeter said:

I'm curious- how do the rendered images avoid showing stripes in the borders as COLBAK changes?  These stripes appear when the image is converted to a Graph2Font file...

thanks for kind words! The COLBAK changes on the border are hidden by missile graphics.

A return to my Lake District series...

This is a not-commonly-seen view of England's 4th-highest mountain, Skiddaw, looking west from the wilderness known as Back o' Skiddaw lying between the fell and its sister, Blencathra.

From right to left, the fells in the distance are Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man and Lonscale Fell.

49 colours.

Viewpoint: 54.65375,-3.08617

Area in view: https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/54.64926,-3.10126,13

output.png

drpeter_Skiddaw.xex

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 4

Severinus The Herbalist

Another film suggestion for a spooky Halloween- the 1986 Jean-Jacques Annaud screen adaptation (or palimpsest, as suggested in the titles) of Umberto Eco's famously erudite creepy mediaeval murder mystery novel, The Name of the Rose.

In this scene Severinus (Elya Baskin), the herbalist, is in conversation (over a corpse) with William of Baskerville (Sean Connery), a visiting Franciscan monk, and is obliquely hinting at some of the secret goings-on at the isolated Italian monastery where a series of macabre and inexplicable murders is taking place:

37 colours

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William: Was he on friendly terms with the handsome young Adelmo?

Severinus:  Yes. They worked together in the scriptorium.  But in a brotherly way, you understand? Not like...
I mean, flesh can be tempted according to nature...  or against nature.  And they were not of the latter disposition.
If you ascertain my meaning.

output_9.png.94c23e721933be0ffc5e527319a4b9f0.png

drpeter_Severinus.xex

• Like 5

@drpeterMy you've been busy! Excellent work on them all! I do believe you have done better with skin-tone shading that my examples in the past. I'd have to compare some side-by-side. I'm judging purely by the .png's posted, I haven't loaded them up yet on a real Atari.

Edited by Gunstar

I've reverted back to Altirra's default NTSC XL palette for processing.  If using emulators to view please use more saturation.  (Saturation 50 in Altirra).

[NTSC - 45 colors]

maine_coast_screenshot.png.9f50fda287f99ec17796e8bd2a8f90a8.png

[PAL - 43 colors]

maine_coast_PAL_screenshot.png.758dc8e66321084da5230fea8f867f76.png

Please try to ignore the vertical rock (foreground, left).   I never managed to get that area to resolve. 

I guess now that I've mentioned the problem areas they will be impossible to ignore.

I find it interesting that my PAL conversions only require 25% (or less) the amount of processing time that the NTSC ones do.

-SteveS

a8isa1_maine_coast.xex a8isa1_maine_coast_PAL.xex

• Like 9

1 hour ago, a8isa1 said:

I've reverted back to Altirra's default NTSC XL palette for processing.  If using emulators to view please use more saturation.  (Saturation 50 in Altirra).

[NTSC - 45 colors]

[PAL - 43 colors]

Please try to ignore the vertical rock (foreground, left).   I never managed to get that area to resolve. 

I guess now that I've mentioned the problem areas they will be impossible to ignore.

I find it interesting that my PAL conversions only require 25% (or less) the amount of processing time that the NTSC ones do.

-SteveS

a8isa1_maine_coast.xex 22.04 kB · 5 downloads a8isa1_maine_coast_PAL.xex 21.99 kB · 9 downloads

Are you converting both images with the same Rastaconverter settings except for palette, or doing custom adjustments and tweaking settings for each one? I did the former when I was doing NTSC, before my last attempts, and when I finally saw them on a real NTSC machine, dark green over black areas was rampant, that wasn't an issue with the PAL versions. as .png's they looked great. As it turned out, I couldn't fix the green streaking issue even when I attempted NTSC images from the start and adjusted Rastaconverter for the palette. I don't know if I ever tried the Altirra XL palette, There weren't any NTSC palette's that came with the Rastaconverter zip I downloaded, I just added in ones people posted in the thread or sig like you.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Are you converting both images with the same Rastaconverter settings except for palette, or doing custom adjustments and tweaking settings for each one? I did the former when I was doing NTSC, before my last attempts, and when I finally saw them on a real NTSC machine, dark green over black areas was rampant, that wasn't an issue with the PAL versions. as .png's they looked great.

I was using custom NTSC palettes (see my sig).  These worked quite well with an old TV which I no longer have.   Now I'm using  Altirra's palettes but with a variety of saturation levels.  This does not change the colors that the Atari can display but a different saturation level in a palette subtly changes the choices Rastaconverter makes during processing.

I've been working with this photo off and on for 3-4 days.   I actually forgot to run the latest NTSC XEX on the real Atari.   Setting that up now...

My remaining monitor choices are pretty poor,  a dying CRT and horrible LCD, both VGA, on a scan converter which doesn't appear to be properly calibrated.   It's really a consumer 'set top box' but for computers.  Made around 1999.  

I think the colors of the NTSC conversion are close.   I'm seeing a faint violet hue that I believe should be cyan-ish (sky color),  in or next to the clouds.  The other colors seem to line up properly between the rastaconverter GUI, emulators and my 800XL.

I don't have any PAL gear at all.

-SteveS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Are you converting both images with the same Rastaconverter settings except for palette, or doing custom adjustments and tweaking settings for each one? 

Sorry, I didn't answer your question earlier.

Same exact settings for both the NTSC and PAL conversions.

I'm seeing now that the NTSC one should have had less contrast.  Parts of the clouds have 'whited out'.  

The PAL conversion needed more brightness.    The line dither (/dither_val=0.3, /dither_rand=1.0) wasn't hidden as well as with the NTSC conversion.  (I now see the dither pattern all over the water).

-SteveS

On 10/31/2019 at 3:09 PM, Gunstar said:

I do believe you have done better with skin-tone shading

Thank you for kind comments.  I have been experimenting with the effect on skin tone shading of using different palettes in Rasta and applying hue-shifting, RGB level, saturation manipulation etc. in paint.net as pre-processing.

• Like 1

The Fighting Temeraire

55 colours

The Fighting Temeraire, tugged to her last berth to be broken up, 1838 (National Gallery, London, UK)

One of the later works of English Romantic artist Joseph Mallord William Turner, this painting in oil was one of his own favourites. He refused to sell it in his lifetime and on his death in 1851 it was bequeathed to the nation. It is also a national favourite- in 2005 voted the most loved painting held in any UK collection in a BBC poll.

Turner's unconventional approach to form and colour, studied among others by Claude Monet during the latter's sojourn in London, led to his being described as father of the later Impressionist movement.

The painting depicts the ignominious final passage of 98-gun ship-of-the-line HMS Temeraire, long renowned for her valiant exploits in the Battle of Trafalgar 33 years before. Floating almost ghost-like, the venerable warship is towed slowly behind a squat, black steam tug, the smoke from whose fiery smokestack partially obscures the old vessel before merging into mist and cloud. Behind, the light of a dramatic sunset explodes into a turbulent sky and spills blood-like across the murky waters of the Thames.

Many have interpreted the ethereal Marie-Celeste-like appearance of the Temeraire, contrasted with the dark and ugly agent of her demise, as wistful pictorial commentary on the passing of the gallant age of sail, or more generally of a romantically nostalgic view of an England now past- a symbolism evocatively emphasised by the violently setting sun.

This romantic theme was to find echoes 70 years later in John Masefield's famous sea-poem 'Cargoes'.

output_3_2.png

drpeter_Temeraire.xex

• Like 6

Skiddaw over Keswick, Autumn Colours

Photograph taken today

65 colours

Viewpoint: 54.59378,-3.13153
Area in View: https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/54.62358,-3.14107,13

Skiddaw viewed from Castle Head over the rooftops of Keswick.

Felltops in the middle distance from right to left are: Skiddaw Little Man, Skiddaw, Carl Side, Ullock Pike, Dodd Fell.

To the left of Dodd Fell, Bassenthwaite Lake can be glimpsed, and beyond it the steep slopes of Wythop Woods and, in the far distance, Clints Crags.

output.png

drpeter_Keswick.xex

• Like 5

Buttermere; Haystacks; Autumn; Pines

Photograph taken 2nd Nov 2019

60 colours

Viewpoint: 54.52896,-3.25776
Area In View: https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/54.51745,-3.25269,14

A well-known stand of pines at the southern end of Buttermere, at Gatesgarth.

The fell reflected in Buttermere is Haystacks, with on the right the lower slopes of High Crag and to the left, Green Crag.

output_3.png

drpeter_Haystacks.xex

• Like 5