IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

On 1/8/2020 at 5:20 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm, I borrowed a DVD-collection with all seasons of "Little House on the Prairie" (Michael Landon, etc.) and watched it the whole december. Maybe you can do some Rasta conversions (e.g. actors, little house, etc.) of this great tv-series which I loved as a child and still love as an adult...?!? If not, no problem...

Now that my current Farm image list is winding down, I searched and downloaded over a half-dozen 'Little House on the Prairie' images to convert.

Only one is a portrait of M.L.'s character and wife with toddler. Most of the images I found online (not downloaded) are portraits of actor's dressed in character on scene. I hate to do portraits on Rasta converter due to the low resolution and difficulties with skin tones. I'll generally only do extreme close-ups for more detail and less colors for Rasta to juggle.

Good shots of the TV family home are rare, of the actual on-set home. At least the way I usually get my images on a subject, with a search engine and then clicking on 'images' on the search engine bar. I do have a few images of models, 1/2 size scale replicas and one real on-set image of it, but that is of poor quality. I'll start some attempts soon. Surprisingly there were more good images of the church in Walnut Grove! I have one or two of them to convert.  If you have any specific images you'd like me to attempt, post them here or send me a p.m.

Edited by Gunstar

Old Boulder County Poor-Farm-house. 50 colors.

From the days when the homeless and poor were given room, board, and work with pay until they got back on their feet, instead of soup kitchens and government (US) hand-outs, and no self-respect.

OBCPoorFarmhouse.png

OBCPoorFarmhouse.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 10

These pictures are absolutely fantastic, and breathe 'new life' to my old Atari 800 XL - although I consider it plenty alive anyway.

The first time I saw some of these pics on the real Atari, I was mesmerized and maybe even 'gobsmacked'. Wow! So cool to see the old Atari pull off something so fantastically beautiful.

I mean, I always love when Atari can show off its vast color palette, show the C64 a world it cannot enter. I consider C64 and Atari 800XL good friends, sitting on the same table without problems, and it's sad that some people make them machines of war instead of co-creators of wonders and excitement.

And yet, it's always fun to witness the older machine surpass the newcomer! (It happens on many occasions, and I especially love the raster and plasma effects in games and demos - they just add that much more spice and awe. I always missed the colors I had used to seeing as a Commodore 16 owner, when I switched over to the C64 side.

I loved and still love the Commodore 64 experience (I hope no one here takes offence), but Atari gives me the colorful magnificence the C64 was always robbing me of. I never felt the C64 is lacking in colors per se - it has a very capable palette with well-chosen 16 colors that have brought me joy since childhood. But there was always 'something' missing, and I couldn't figure out what it was as a kid, but nowadays I know - my first computer, the C16, let me see things the C64 couldn't give me.

With Atari computers, those things are back - Atari is like a combination of the good sides of the C64 and the good side of the C16! The C16 lacks memory and sprites, but Atari has those things! It's like C16 is a kid's computer, and Atari is the 'adult version' of that, it can directly compare its achievements and games to the C64, where C16 struggles too much.

For example, C16 has table-based noisewave, whereas Atari computers have proper, neverending properly random noisewave. (I know that nothing is ever 'fully random', but I leave that question to the philosophers)

For the longest time, I had to accept that Atari's vast color palette could only be used in a few ways:

- Raster effects (some people call these 'rainbows' - but I LOVE them!)

- Plasma effects (Drunken Chessboard shows off this stuff nicely)

- 'Selection' colors, meaning that every game (and different levels within a game) can look a bit different, color-wise, where C64 games look 'samey' due to always having to use the same 16 colors

But now, with this great new tool and technique, Ilmenit has given Atari (and me) a fourth option:

- Amazingly colorful, beautiful fullscreen pictures that you can look at endlessly and just admire at what this eight-bit wonder can still do.

So I had to get my hands on this stuff - and although I failed to produce anything too interesting, and the process is too slow for my PCs (and take up too much electricity), these pictures have really touched me deeply, and I got inspired to also try to convert the same image to Commodore 16 and Plus4 (which I don't have, alas), so here are the results.

By the way, some people do not adhere to the 'picture in every post' rule.

[Atari-800-XL-Female-Face-Photo.png

Photo of the image on Atari 800 XL and CRT TV. I think it was either 2 or 200

million evaluations - in any case, it sook a really long time, and I just had to

give up at some point.

[Atari-Female-Face-Raw.png

The raw output image after all those evaluations. Is there an easy way to see

how many evaluations it's at, without 'continuing' the process (takes so long just

to draw the 'preview' image)?

[C16-Female-Face-Emulator-Screenshot.png

Commodore 16 emulator screenshot. This conversion was counted in seconds.

[C16-Female-Face-Photo.png

Commodore 16 Photo from a real C16 and CRT television. A bit too dark, but you

can get the impression. Multicolor screenmode. (Multicolor FLI would take too much

memory)

[Plus4-Emulator-Screenshot.png

Commodore Plus/4 Emulator screenshot. More memory affords a higher-detail

graphics mode, this is Multicolor FLI. Without having the real machine, I don't

have a photo of this.

I am not going to add the original photo just yet, because I want to accomplish two things;

1) I want people to be able to evaluate the graphics without a 'perfect' image to compare it to, just pure 8-bit computer beauty, and see if it resembles anything discernible without the help of an actual photo.

2) I'd be interested if someone can recognize this individual based on these eight-bit computer-graphics. (Not '8-bit computer graphics', but graphics of 8-bit computers, hence the hyphenation)

So there we have it - a fantastic tool for people with fast computers and skills to 'adjust' the images before conversion, and to figure out the exact right settings to use for conversion, but I am sadly not one of those people.

But I'll be glad to be an admiring audience with these jaw-droppingly beautiful images, and watching them on my real Atari 800 XL with tear in my eye. 

Thanks so much for this magnificent tool and giving my Atari such mesmerizing beauty.

I hope people are OK with me including also the Commodore 16 (and Plus/4) program files, photos and screenshots.

Femaleface.xex Femaleface.prg Femaleface2.prg

• Like 5

On 7/11/2012 at 1:22 PM, ilmenit said:

I love these two pictures so much, especially on my real Atari 800 XL, that I really wanted to find the original images. And finally I was able to!

Here's the 'Fairey Wood' original picture:

[Deep-Forest-Clear-Daytime.png

The forest image is originally called "Deep Forest - Clear", and it's one of Mark Ferrari's amazing "color cycling" artwork. This guy -loves- dithering and color cycling. He is the individual that created Loom graphics for Lucasfilm Games (later LucasArt Games), and his 'color cycle art' page can be found here:

http://www.effectgames.com/demos/worlds/

There you can find lots of other art as well. There's also a 'Rain' version of this image that has color-cycle-animated rainfall and such. These pictures even come with ambient sound (water flowing and such)! And you can adjust the 'time of day' to make the image darker or brighter.

The other image is some kind of demoscene art, I think.

[Aftermath.png

This is a good example of how added detail can actually detract from the viewing experience, because it shuts off your imagination and your psychological need to 'co-create' the visuals when you look at something that doesn't have a lot of detail. I guess 'impressionism' had the right idea sometimes. There's also an old Japanese disciple about this that explains how it's a spiritually deeper experience, when the viewer is engaged by omitting too much detail.

This higher-resolution version has more detail, but doesn't feel or look as good to my eyes as the Atari version (especially viewed with my Atari 800 XL), as it kind of let me 'continue creating the image' in my mind while looking at it.

I don't know if anyone here really understand my ramblings about this topic, but these are wonderful pictures anyway. Ilminet's hard work also makes it easy to start observing how little is really needed to create a completely recognizable image, and how forcing a picture to use a bit different colors can actually create a whole new, sometimes even better experience than the original picture.

I hope it's okay to reply this way, just giving the originals and some thoughts and insights instead of adding another converted masterpiece (my apologies), but I thought this would enhance this thread in a bit different way, as it is a bit relevant and hopefully offers a bit of perspective that could add to the enjoyment of these magnificent Atari images.

I am REALLY excited to watch these images on my real Atari to realize just how great the 8-bit computer is, and how it can show me things I never thought possible.

It's a really wonderful thing that Ilminet-san has did for us all in my opinion.

Edited by Monk
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Monk said:

Is there an easy way to see

how many evaluations it's at, without 'continuing' the process

Open output.png.opt in a text editor-

It tells you the parameters used for the conversion & the number of iterations (evaluations) as well as the kernel in its current form.

e.g.

; ---------------------------------- 
; RastaConverter by Ilmenit v.Beta7
; InputName: IMG_5131_480.jpg
; CmdLine: IMG_5131_480.jpg /details=IMG_5131_480_3.png /details_val=10 /contrast=15 /s=10000 /threads=4
; Evaluations: 326902110
; Score: 50.7973
; ---------------------------------- 
; Proper offset 
    nop
    nop
    nop
    nop
    cmp byt2;
line0
    nop 
    nop 
    ldy #$8A ; 138 (spr=90)
    nop 
    sty COLBAK
    stx COLOR2
    nop ............................................[truncated]

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Monk said:

The forest image is originally called "Deep Forest - Clear", and it's one of Mark Ferrari's amazing "color cycling" artwork. This guy -loves- dithering and color cycling. He is the individual that created Loom graphics for Lucasfilm Games (later LucasArt Games), and his 'color cycle art' page can be found here:

You've inspired me to attempt a few of his images that haven't been done yet.

Little House on the Prairie

Title Screen. 57 colors.

Half-Pint Little House. 28 colors. (real-life 1/2 size replica. Do you get the pun? It might actually be a 1/4 size in all dimensions, but it doesn't fit my pun otherwise)

I'll do more later...

LHOPYTitle.png

HalfPintLittleHouse1.png

LHOPTitle.xex HalfPintLittleHouse1.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 8

On 1/15/2020 at 7:55 PM, Gunstar said:

Now that my current Farm image list is winding down, I searched and downloaded over a half-dozen 'Little House on the Prairie' images to convert.

Only one is a portrait of M.L.'s character and wife with toddler. Most of the images I found online (not downloaded) are portraits of actor's dressed in character on scene. I hate to do portraits on Rasta converter due to the low resolution and difficulties with skin tones. I'll generally only do extreme close-ups for more detail and less colors for Rasta to juggle.

Good shots of the TV family home are rare, of the actual on-set home. At least the way I usually get my images on a subject, with a search engine and then clicking on 'images' on the search engine bar. I do have a few images of models, 1/2 size scale replicas and one real on-set image of it, but that is of poor quality. I'll start some attempts soon. Surprisingly there were more good images of the church in Walnut Grove! I have one or two of them to convert.  If you have any specific images you'd like me to attempt, post them here or send me a p.m.

Well,

I also searched the internet for some pics, found lots of covers from the DVD and the books. Here are some pictures from the tv-series I liked - they originally had thousands of colours, I have been so evil to save them as GIF87a with max. 256 colours (using colour reduction with Neural-Net-Quantization and Serpentine Floyd-Steinberg dither). Not sure if one of them will look good with Rasta Converter since most of them have a much too high resolution...

little_house_gifs.zip

• Thanks 1

@CharlieChaplin Actually, the higher the resolution to start with, the more I have to work with and get better results. Most conversions I've done the images start out with colors in the 10's of thousands and resolutions in the thousands.

The lowest quality images I'll even bother to work with, to start, are 640x480. That is, images I find for myself, I'll use and do my best with what ever you give me. The only exceptions, personally, are images I'm converting from other computers or consoles.

Edited by Gunstar

My first few Rasta versions of the art of Mark Ferrari. Zoomed and cropped for more detailed low-res A8 versions. More to come...

Crystal Cave. 52 colors.

Mountain Stream. 57 colors.

Desert. 41 colors.

CrystalCaves2.png

MountainStream2.png

Desert2.png

CrystalCaves2.xex MountStream2.xex Desert2.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

On 1/19/2020 at 7:09 AM, Gunstar said:

My first few Rasta versions of the art of Mark Ferrari. Zoomed and cropped for more detailed low-res A8 versions. More to come...

Crystal Cave. 52 colors.

Mountain Stream. 57 colors.

Desert. 41 colors.

CrystalCaves2.png

MountainStream2.png

Desert2.png

CrystalCaves2.xex 22.08 kB · 7 downloads MountStream2.xex 22.03 kB · 6 downloads Desert2.xex 22.09 kB · 7 downloads

I swear those are screenshots from a game... they  look that good.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RAM said:

There should be a feature to automatically like every picture posted in this thread! Are you sure you're not accidentally using photoshop instead of Rasterconverter, Gunstar? ?

:lol: Only my artistic eye, talent and experience to use the photoshop of my mind's eye, so I find the right settings in Rasta.;) That, and the dozen throw-away attempts (of each single image) over days that you never see until I get the settings right. It takes patience!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2