IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

37 minutes ago, RAM said:

You have a genuine skill for colo(u)r, are you an artist in the "real" world by any chance?

There is no other way to be an artist, but for real, in the real world, AFAIK, even computer art is on a real computer in the real world. So I don't understand the question, care to rephrase? I have a Master's degree if that's what you mean. Or are you asking if I'm a real artist and not just an impostor art-history major? Those who can't do, study art history so they can professionally criticize real artist's who do what they can't.:lol: Not sorry if anyone here is an art-history major...get a real degree! You might as well have majored in "communications" like athletes do!:lol:  And yes, art-history classes are required for a real artist's degree, so I know what you know and have skilz...it's like two degrees in one!:-o But at least it's a useful degree and not something to use as toilet-paper.:lol:

Edited by Gunstar

@miker My experienced guess would be not very good.

If it was higher resolution, it maybe could be zoomed in and cropped around the main characters, but it's to low def to zoom in, and it's leaning toward impressionism art, which uses color and shadow for perceived detail, until you get too close. The subject matter is too nebulous and blending, one drab color into another instead of detail and definitive boundaries that Rastaconverter works better with.

The drab color palette it uses would be mostly black and white, unless the color brightness was cranked way up, which would introduce other errors and hardly resemble the original image anymore either It would be difficult at best running through dozens of attempts to try and find some good Rastaconverter settings and palette and color distance.

If I came across this picture, though I really like it, while looking for Rastaconverter material, I would disregard it and move on. It's not worth the trouble, in my experience, from attempting similar style images...normally. But what if we turn this one into a contest and have us half-dozen usual suspects all give it a go and see what we come up with?:razz::razz: Of course I'm not going to bother unless a couple others say they will give it an attempt too.:ponder:

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

But what if we turn this one into a contest and have us half-dozen usual suspects all give it a go and see what we come up with?:razz::razz: Of course I'm not going to bother unless a couple others say they will give it an attempt too.:ponder:

Why not - it's Friday and I am hurting too bad to continue hanging a wall in my basement.  I'll try a few things.

Well, there's only so much resolution to work with (spatial and colour).  Here's my interpretation.  We did lose the moon in the process, but I don't think enough contrast could be coaxed out of the image to even make it possible.

world_edit.jpg

World.png

Stephen_World.xex

• Like 1

Well, I do agree with everything Gunstar & Stephen have said.

It's going to be a bit of a challenge to render something that's both a quality Rasta image and has something of a feel of the original- not something I would have ordinarily attempted.

But, since Gunstar has thrown down the gauntlet and Stephen has picked it up- I'll have a go ?

Meanwhile, image to go with this post:

Mickledore

41 colours

Another classic English Lake District view- being the high pass between England's 2 highest peaks- Scafell (ahead) and Scafell Pike (behind).

The route to Scafell ahead appears straightforward but is in fact blocked by a small near-vertical cliff of slabs and steps-Broad Stand- that is at once oh-so-tempting, technically difficult and perilous in either ascent or descent.

Injuries, ignominious rescues or even fatalities regularly await those too foolhardy to divert tamely left to Foxes Tarn- or right via the hair-raising West Wall Traverse to the top of Lord's Rake- visible here as the small notch on the skyline just to the right of the false summit of Scafell.

output_2_3.png

drpeter_Mickledore.xex

Edited by drpeter
mistype
  • Like 3

Well, here is my initial over-night attempt. I'll give it another try and see if I can get rid of a couple of streaks. But I kept to my own advice about zooming in and cropping as much as possible for more detail. I've thrown my first Gauntlet...I have one more...

AnotherWorkd1.png

AnotherWorld1.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 7

Another World

OK, here's my interpretation of miker's picture.

I did a similar crop to Stephen, with the goal of retaining the 4 main compositional elements- the 2 figures, the beast and the moon. I aimed to retain the feeling from the original of wandering through a desolate and dangerous alien landscape.

In pre-Rasta-processing, I played with level curves to achieve some contrast in the moon area of the picture and boosted saturation to bring out flesh-tones in the figures.

I used Altirra palette, ciede pre-process colour distance, yuv rendering colour distance.

I used floyd dither value 0.1, contrast 20, gamma=0.9 for the Rasta pre-process.

I set a details mask with value of 5 for the 2 figures and the beast.

69 colours

output.png

drpeter_AnotherWorld.xex

Edited by drpeter
mistype
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, drpeter said:

Another World

OK, here's my interpretation of miker's picture.

I did a similar crop to Stephen, with the goal of retaining the 4 main compositional elements- the 2 figures, the beast and the moon. I aimed to retain the feeling from the original of wandering through a desolate and dangerous alien landscape.

In pre-Rasta-processing, I played with level curves to achieve some contrast in the moon area of the picture and boosted saturation to bring out flesh-tones in the figures.

I used Altirra palette, ciede pre-process colour distance, yuv rendering colour distance.

I used floyd dither value 0.1, contrast 20, gamma=0.9 for the Rasta pre-process.

I set a details mask with value of 5 for the 2 figures and the beast.

69 colours

output.png

drpeter_AnotherWorld.xex 22.07 kB · 2 downloads

Nice - very similar to the pre-processing steps I took.  I always forget about details mask - I really need to use that more.

1 hour ago, a8isa1 said:

[NTSC]

leaves_atari800_screenshot.png.b5e2e70382f17d9f109250c5319ae798.png

This is bit of a cheat.  Statistically the image is not very close to the destination but the random patterns obscure most of the mistakes.

I believe there are 31 colors.

-SteveS

a8isa1_autumn_leaves.xex 22.04 kB · 2 downloads

I like it, and just so you know, I never bother worrying about how close to destination going by the distance number, that is, I never pay attention to it. I use my eyes and when it meets my standards, I stop the conversion. If it goes for a good while and doesn't seem to be improving to my eyes, I stop the conversion and readjust setting the way I think might improve the output, rinse, repeat.

Edited by Gunstar

BTW here's an idea. A RastaConverterConverter. It takes a PAL kernel and converts it to an NTSC kernel, or vice versa. While going through the kernel, you just have to keep track of what's in A, X and Y. When a store takes place to a player position register, leave it alone. If it's a color register, go back to the last load of that register and convert the color. Rinse and repeat. Different conversion mappings would lead to different results, but that's 128 colors at most. It could even be hand optimized, considering that most Rasta conversions are between 30-60 colors. And one could even do a PAL to PAL or NTSC to NTSC conversion, and fine tune certain colors. Won't get you more colors, but perhaps some you like more :)

• Like 1