IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Hope this doesn't kill too much bandwidth.  Here's everything as of post 2371.

Rasta Conversions.zip 15.89 MB · 3 downloads

I was going to do this myself, as I have most or all of them, but I am terrible at keeping my files organized and they are spread throughout folders and sub-directories, so I'm glad you did this! I can download it and use it to transfer them all to my SpartaDOS X CF partitions and then just delete all the others as I run across them in my attempts to organize and consolidate all my Atari files for transfer to SDX partitions. I'm trying to start fresh and organized on my Atari, and not make a mess of things like my PC anymore...So a big thankyou!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roydea6 said:

Now I need a renaming script or program to get an 8.3 filename for the Atari to read and understand.

I've already been doing that one at a time with all the files, changing them to 8.3 that is, manually. I'm going to transfer to SpartaDOS virtual HDD. It's a long and tedious process, but I'm organizing partitions, folders and sub-folders into all the different program categories, genres, memory requirements, stereo/mono, hacks, etc. and alphabetically. And a readme.txt file in every folder with info about what's in the folder.So it's a big job for me no matter what.

Edited by Gunstar

6 hours ago, ivop said:

Sorry to say, but your PAL version turns large parts of the mountains into dark blue sky. a8isa1's version had them grey.

But you did an AMAZING job on that miker picture and got out so much detail and colors!

In the original picture I was working from, the mountains are blue-grey, as one would expect- distant objects will always take on a desaturated bluish tinge due to atmospheric effects.

Since the Atari can't render the correct colour, it's rather a matter of artistic preference whether they look better deep blue or grey.

You can see a similar difference in the rendition of the clouds, which in my version include the blue-purple tints of the original image, but are rendered to greys in a8isa1's.

Similarly, it's a matter of preference whether you like the all-over-golden landscape of a8isa1's NTSC version or the green-and-gold of my PAL version- which is closer to the image I was working from.

I don't know whether the colour balance, temperature and saturation of the image a8isa1 was working from were the same as the one I found to work from.

Personally I like both versions equally.  I wasn't trying to replicate the appearance of a8isa1's rendition.

That's part of the beauty of this tool- it allows expression of a wide variety of artistic preferences even when starting from exactly the same image- as well-demonstrated by the very different interpretations of miker's picture.

Colorado.png

output_2_3.png

colorado_foliage_atari800_screenshot.png.f3b8f6d27ec10160eb5a7369b9a08fbb.png

Edited by drpeter
added detail
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ivop said:

BTW here's an idea. A RastaConverterConverter. It takes a PAL kernel and converts it to an NTSC kernel, or vice versa. While going through the kernel, you just have to keep track of what's in A, X and Y. When a store takes place to a player position register, leave it alone. If it's a color register, go back to the last load of that register and convert the color. Rinse and repeat. Different conversion mappings would lead to different results, but that's 128 colors at most. It could even be hand optimized, considering that most Rasta conversions are between 30-60 colors. And one could even do a PAL to PAL or NTSC to NTSC conversion, and fine tune certain colors. Won't get you more colors, but perhaps some you like more :)

This sounds plausible, but there's a problem to a simple automated conversion by colour-mapping- in the kernel, sometimes by chance the same register & value end up saved sequentially to both a colour register and a player horizontal position...  Happens more often than you might think!

Edited by drpeter
mistype
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, drpeter said:

This sounds plausible, but there's a problem to a simple automated conversion by colour-mapping- in the kernel, sometimes by chance the same register & value end up saved sequentially to both a colour register and a player horizontal position...  Happens more often than you might think!

Totally forgot about that. That complicates things tremendously :(

15 hours ago, drpeter said:

In the original picture I was working from, the mountains are blue-grey, as one would expect- distant objects will always take on a desaturated bluish tinge due to atmospheric effects.

Since the Atari can't render the correct colour, it's rather a matter of artistic preference whether they look better deep blue or grey.

You can see a similar difference in the rendition of the clouds, which in my version include the blue-purple tints of the original image, but are rendered to greys in a8isa1's.

Similarly, it's a matter of preference whether you like the all-over-golden landscape of a8isa1's NTSC version or the green-and-gold of my PAL version- which is closer to the image I was working from.

I don't know whether the colour balance, temperature and saturation of the image a8isa1 was working from were the same as the one I found to work from.

Personally I like both versions equally.  I wasn't trying to replicate the appearance of a8isa1's rendition.

That's part of the beauty of this tool- it allows expression of a wide variety of artistic preferences even when starting from exactly the same image- as well-demonstrated by the very different interpretations of miker's picture.

Colorado.png

output_2_3.png

I agree, not that all you said is opinion to be agreed with, atmospheric effect is a fact.

Aside from cropping for screen ratio for maximum vertical resolution, and sometimes zooming in on the main subject or focal point for more detail in low resolution, in my case I attempt to make my images look as close to the source material as possible*, and the most pronounced setting change, in most cases, is contrast; high contrast makes it easier for Rastaconverter when color depth is reduced from 256, 16 colors with 16 shades of the destination image to 128, 16 colors, 8 shades. And then because of the color restrictions per horizontal line, conversions average about 64 colors in the end, averaging 16 colors, 4 shades. lines and streaking across images are due to Rastaconverter having trouble with averaging and choosing of shades when reduced, and raising contrast helps.

*(which, looking at the source image,your conversion is closer, I see blue in the mountain shadows and gray in the light. but a8isa1's looks really good the way it turned out too)

The conversion also being reduced in resolution from 320 to 160 horizontally also plays a large role in the color/shade averaging which is also helped by raising the contrast.

But sometimes artistic license must be take for an image to come out well at all, so some of my images are changed quite a bit from the source. Rastaconverter is great in the control you can actually have over an image, with experience in knowing how Rastaconverter reacts to changes in settings. Of course many of the dithering choices are meant for a style and look and not just color blending too,

Edited by Gunstar

Thought I'd try another one... and play with the detail mask :)

It's still running as you can see, but here we are at 12.55 norm distance and a couple of hours. Will leave it run for a while and see if it can clear up Stingray's nose (Port is a drink, not a direction) a bit.

[EDIT] It didn't move significantly - got down to 12.226 nd - attached the new XEX.  Stopping now :)

image.thumb.png.0618be217b40006c6f84a187f637bef1.png

Stingray-PAL.xex

Stingray-12.226nd-PAL.xex

• Like 5

On 2/5/2020 at 12:23 AM, drpeter said:

Colorado.png

output_2_3.png

A PAL version for those who prefer their clouds & mountains grey  ?

36 colours

output_3_2.png

drpeter_Colorado_grey.xex

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Scafell Pike in Winter

A new adddition to my English Lake District series, this time of England's highest mountain viewed from the desolate valley of upper Eskdale, looking north.

Area in view: https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/54.44432,-3.17901,14

Viewpoint: 54.43459,-3.20725

Skyline left to right: Cam Spout Crag (lower slopes of Scafell), Scafell Pike, Ill Crag, Esk Pike

Foreground: River Esk

35 colours

output.png

drpeter_ScafellPike.xex

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to convert this picture since I first discovered Rastaconverter.   All I can say is it came out better with a PAL palette than it ever did with an NTSC one.  I hope it looks reasonable on real hardware.   I don't have any PAL gear, myself.

It's time to move on to another.

[PAL palette with saturation 40]

birches_PAL_screenshot.png.8a62440ca98a224086f7fc2ca47ec115.png

a8isa1_birches_PAL.xex

• Like 6

Hey guys,

great work you are doing here !

I came here for advice,

I'm trying to convert a picture I drew (for an upcoming game), which includes a big red logo among other things..

The problem is the red turns out brown or dark pink..

any tips to make it better ?

Edited by TIX

@TIXMost of the time, especially when you are first starting conversions, it's a lot of trial and error. Try different palettes, adjusting the color brightness positively or negatively and contrast, contrast is very important when reducing from tons of colors to a palette of 128 with an average of 64 colors used in any given conversion. Don't be afraid to really move those sliders around on the color adjustments, gamma and contrast, it won't hurt to see what happens, but also remember that the "preview" picture is never as colorful as the final destination when you start the conversion, so you can't really know what you are getting until you start a conversion.

Mopar 383. 41 colors.

Not my best auto conversion, but I tried so hard with this one I decided to post my best attempt as it only has a few areas that I'm not happy with.

Mopar383.png

Mopar383.xex

• Like 7