IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

9 hours ago, gnusto said:

Problem appears to be rslide.exe itself, VirusTotal shows it triggering 5 (out of 70 something) detection systems. Normally not a big deal, as many innocuous unsigned executables trigger, but I do notice VirusTotal thinks the executable is calling on wshtcpip.dll. Detection would probably go away if this wasn't linked; perhaps it was just linked in by mistake.

I'll have to check when I get back from work today. The only change was me using GO 15.2 rather than 15.0 and compiling with -trimpath to remove my personal folder names from panic traces. The dll is probably called in the GO runtime. Anyway can't be too careful with these things so probably best not to run until it's confirmed it's a false positive or there is something nasty on my machine that windows defender doesn't know about

Edited by Sheddy

I submitted RastaSlide to VirusTotal again and joined just to report it as a false positive. Interestingly the beta version is flagged by 4 of 70 and not 5. That is the -trimpath compilation. I'm not sure where wshtcpip.dll may be called, it certainly isn't in the source code, but may be called in one of the standard libraries used. I'm no GO expert, but it just seems to include everything and doesn't give you control over linking. The source code is in there so please feel free to look and compile and check.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2020 at 11:08 AM, Gunstar said:

The easiest way I have found to get a 4:3 ratio

Many graphics programs such as the free paint.net https://www.getpaint.net/download.html allow you to crop at a specified fixed ratio of e.g. 4:3.

You can then either use the resulting 4:3 cropped image in RastaConverter directly, allowing Rasta to do all the necessary resizing to 160x240, or resize the image in paint.net (or whatever) to 320x240 before importing to Rasta.

This saves all the fiddly crop-a-bit here crop-a-bit there you're describing of trying to get a 4:3 ratio by hand

• Like 1

I always crop to 4:3, resize to 160x240 with the best possible GIMP filter and then resize back to 320x240 without any filtering, no interpolation, just double the pixels to graphics 15 width. Then feed that to Rasta.

Furthermore, you can do all sorts of other pre-processing before you feed it to rasta. Stuff you can also do with rastaconverter, like brightness, contrast and gamma, dither, but you can also do other stuff, like edit out problematic parts, or blur stuff (do that before you resize back to 320x240, or you'll introduce new 1x1 pixels instead of 2x1 pixels), reduce the palette (w/o dither), and...

Don't underestimate posterize... I did the Todd Rundgren album cover in less than 30 minutes, just because it responded particularly well to posterize.

• Thanks 1

If you're artistically wedded to having a wider ratio than 4:3 for your Rasta image, best way to do that is to pad the image in paint.net (or whatever) with an equal height of black pixels above and below the image to achieve a 4:3 ratio.

That way the resulting image will appear vertically midway on screen.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Man, another one where I imagine this in a retail demo dropping jaws in 1979-81. ??

Actually, that many colors at that resolution should still have been dropping jaws even after the 16-bitters came along. there was nothing to compare on them for at least a year or two, until the ST's Spectrum 512 or whatever the Amiga version of similar graphics was...but, in any case, it would have still been impressive up to at least '85 and making the 16-bitter's look not quite as advanced as supposed.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gunstar said:

it would have still been impressive up to at least '85 and making the 16-bitter's look not quite as advanced

To be fair the computational power required to render such a complex set of DLI, PMs and palette switches midline didn't exist back then, or would have at least taken years or so to compute.

But the raw power was there, and probably not bested until as you say 1985, with the Amiga 1000 and HAM mode. Jay Miner one-upping Jay Miner!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, gnusto said:

To be fair the computational power required to render such a complex set of DLI, PMs and palette switches midline didn't exist back then, or would have at least taken years or so to compute.

But the raw power was there, and probably not bested until as you say 1985, with the Amiga 1000 and HAM mode. Jay Miner one-upping Jay Miner!

Yes, I and most others here, when making these comments realize it is all theoretical, speculative, unrealistic, whatever you wish to call it and if it could have it would have. And that our modern techniques with modern technology allow us to siphon more power and abilities out of these vintage machines. You aren't the first, and won't be the last, I'm sure, to make such a comment in regards to someone saying "imagine if," which also isn't the first or last time we've heard that either.;) With graphics, streaming video, new ways of using POKEY's for sound and music, etc., It has come up many times in this and other threads.

Much of the new programming techniques that we see in demos, graphics, games, etc., are derived from ideas based on newer technology, that were never thought of before, but then clever programmers say; "hey, I think I can do that on this old processor or system too." Maybe these techniques would have been discovered if tech had stayed the same and these old 8-bits were used commonly for decades (like seems to be the case in the Fallout RPG world) we would have discovered how to wrench more of these concepts out of these old machines, but sometimes a totally new perspective (or technology) is required for a new concept; even if it can be transplanted into older tech with success or leads to an idea not thought of before for older tech.

Just let us have our "imagine if" day dreams and set aside the facts and reality for a moment. It's a mental leap called "suspension of disbelief" and we use it often to enjoy all types of media these days.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Much of the new programming techniques that we see in demos, graphics, games, etc., are derived from ideas based on newer technology, that were never thought of before, but then clever programmers say; "hey, I think I can do that on this old processor or system too."

This reminds me of how they were able to program the ancient "Voyager" space probes to do things like better data compression (etc.) and improve performance, many years after they were out in deep space.

• Like 2

Here is another, I think, lost-and-found .xex with no .png to be found. Sorry if I did post this before, maybe even under another name. The picture is another screen shot on Altirra. I don't even remember if this is suppose to use a PAL or NTSC palette. It's shown in PAL here.

20201002_185234.jpg

IceMoon3.xex

• Like 10