IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

They are both very good, The second one I think is 1% better just because the blue shading of the inside collar looks a bit better on the figures right side (his right, not the image), that's all the difference I can see, until I view it full-screen.

Edited by Gunstar

• 2 weeks later...

RastaSlide - RastaConverter Slide Show Maker - Version 2.0

Changes since version 1.0
-----------------------------

- Can now add more than one RastaConverter picture at a time, and also folders
- 5 digit numbering instead of 4 and changes to handle large numbers of slides better
- Default of less aggressive compression settings to speed things up a bit
- Fixed bug in thread count passed to compressor may improve speed for large pictures
- 128 colour kernel optimization code completed giving compression gains on slides
- A non-looped XEX of the slides is also output on build and extract
- Slides can be quickly extracted from RastaSlide disks or XEXs to add to collections
- Disassembler can now deal with pictures built with Drpeter's centring "no_name" mod
- Optimizer changes to support new RastaConverter disassembly tools
- Disassembler kernel timing comments and detection of HPOS timing issues

In the Generator folder there are a couple of extras that may help with including
RastaConverter pictures in your own programs or for adjusting and fixing them.
Thanks to Drpeter for feedback and the detailed explanation on the cause of line
artefacts and correcting them in his tutorial in this thread.

Hope it is of some use. Enjoy!

Chris

sheddy_surprise_me_PAL.png.7982f4012dd584f9570adb3ab45eb0e1.png

sheddy_surprise_me_PAL.xex RastaSlide 2.0.zip

Edited by Sheddy
weird text sizes
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 9

RastaSlide - RastaConverter Slide Show Maker - Version 2.1

- Big compression speed up by doing it in parallel when adding multiple files

Probably will call it a day unless there are any terrible problems or brilliant suggestions

Kind Regards

Chris

RastaSlide 2.1.zip

sheddy_colorful_leopard.png

sheddy_colorful_leopard.xex

Edited by Sheddy
um, not a tiger
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

RastaSlide - RastaConverter Slide Show Maker - Version 2.2

Changes since version 2.1
- Fixed "#build centred output" issue where pictures built don't display in RastaSlide
- Disassembler changed to deal with existing "#build centred output" pictures

Yeah, I didn't check my own centered pictures worked in RastaSlide. Duh.

They work fine as stand-alone pictures and add OK with no error, but don't display properly in the slide show.

I'd advise anyone using RastaSlide to make centered pictures to update to this version

RastaSlide 2.2.zip

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I am having issues editing the post above, so I will just post the edit here.

I've only got a few images handy on this machine and my camera equipment and drives are at the other house. This is my second ever attempt, so please do not be too harsh with me. Some of the stuff I've seen in this thread is simply amazing. Not sure how many evaluations it ended up taking, but I do know a couple of minutes before saving the image it was ~3,500,000.

From a cursory search through the thread, it seems like I need to learn to do more with GIMP than I do now, in order to make images Rasta ready :)

In any case, this image was taken in the Blue Ridge Mountains, two miles due west of of my place there. I was standing at  around 5,400' and just a little south of Mt. Mitchell and close to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Date snapped was October 10th 2020.

• Like 1

I'd say it's at least a top 20% image myself, technically. It's just that it's so "distant" in the subject matter, with such low resolution graphics. I'm pretty sure I was right there or close myself once, when I was driving through back in the late 90's. The scene looks so familiar to me.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

It is distant, for sure, Gunstar. The view goes out at least 50 miles. If you’ve been on the Blue Ridge Parkway within a few miles north or south of Mt. Mitchell in Western North Carolina, you’ve been really close to there :) This was taken from the Pisgah National Forest, in the Black Mountains sub-range of the Blue Ridge Mountains - looking out into the Balsam, Craggy, Smoky Mountains. 

I did play around with several more images last night and was amazed at how well certain ones worked out, especially an image of the Atari 5200 Miner 2049er. Even using the old laptop that produced these (I5-5300u), it was surprising that a few million evaluations didn’t take nearly as long as expected. Will give it a go this afternoon on a much, much more powerful machine.

1 hour ago, 777ismyname said:

I did play around with several more images last night and was amazed at how well certain ones worked out, especially an image of the Atari 5200 Miner 2049er. Even using the old laptop that produced these (I5-5300u), it was surprising that a few million evaluations didn’t take nearly as long as expected. Will give it a go this afternoon on a much, much more powerful machine.

The best conversions in this thread didn't need that much iterations. 25M-50M should be enough. And if it doesn't look good at 50M, it won't look much better at 500M. Or 2.5B. But if it does look good, you might resolve some errors in the next 50M-100M evaluations.

It's all about source material, optional preprocessing, and tweaking the rastaconv parameters.

Perhaps we should start a how-to thread or something, a tutorial thead :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 777ismyname said:

It is distant, for sure, Gunstar. The view goes out at least 50 miles. If you’ve been on the Blue Ridge Parkway within a few miles north or south of Mt. Mitchell in Western North Carolina, you’ve been really close to there :) This was taken from the Pisgah National Forest, in the Black Mountains sub-range of the Blue Ridge Mountains - looking out into the Balsam, Craggy, Smoky Mountains. 

I converted an image of the Smoky Mountains...it's somewhere in these pages...I think it was within the last year, so maybe back about 20 pages back or so?

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, ivop said:

The best conversions in this thread didn't need that much iterations. 25M-50M should be enough. And if it doesn't look good at 50M, it won't look much better at 500M. Or 2.5B. But if it does look good, you might resolve some errors in the next 50M-100M evaluations.

It's all about source material, optional preprocessing, and tweaking the rastaconv parameters.

Perhaps we should start a how-to thread or something, a tutorial thead :)

Yep, most of my images I did in about 150-200M, and as you say, if it's not looking like 90-95% complete by 50M, I stop, change settings and start over. Though the last 10 or so images I have let them run to between 250-500M, as I think I found a sweet spot in the number of solutions I use so no errors have been showing up like they used too beyond 150-200M. Honestly though, they really don't look much better than when I was stopping around 200M, but as long as errors aren't showing up, that's fine.

• Like 2

Coins, 20 colors, 1,850M evaluations.

output.png.2c9f2a9ddba006435a1b38b7c18ab13a.png

I select 10,000 solutions (/s=10000) for my conversions and it requires more iterations to get image which satisfied me.

In some of my conversions the number of evaluations exceeds 1G and I have to wait couple of days for result.

If you whish you can check the number of iterations for my conversions on my gitlab: https://gitlab.com/amarok8bit/rastaconverter/-/blob/master/README.md

But please note that I am not so experienced in conversions like Gunstar and other users on this forum and my approach might be not the best one.

amarok_coins.xex

• Like 13

1 hour ago, amarok said:

I select 10,000 solutions (/s=10000) for my conversions

I usually select 10,000 solutions for my 'finished' images.

The higher the number of solutions, the slower the rate of improvement of the rendering- but the ultimate image when improvement bottoms out is likely to be more accurate- at least as Rastaconverter sees it! With 10,000 solutions I usually run to somewhere between 250 million and 750 million iterations.

I sometimes choose 500 or 1000 solutions for a 'quick and dirty' initial check on what the image is roughly likely to come out like, before doing some more pre-processing or tinkering further with the Rastaconverter settings.

I sometimes choose 2000-5000 solutions for 'finished' images which are easy to render or which don't have a need for accurate fine detail.

I would be interested to know how many solutions Gunstar is using?

• Like 4