IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

On 1/18/2021 at 6:01 PM, 777ismyname said:

Flower_TopOfBuckCreekGap_EarlyAutumn2020.png.96fb8fba4e66b0c1035b118abba7fba1.png

A flower photo I snapped in late September 2020. ~200 million evaluations.

Gunstar, the Smoky's are not far from me, but I don't get down there but a few times per year. I will check back and see what you posted from this area :)

Just a tip on conversions: If you are getting a lot of horizontal line segments in your images, it due to not having the contrast set high enough, and Rasta is having trouble  distinguishing between shades of color; it has to reduce image colors from 256 in the destination picture down to a 128 color palette, and then on average you get about half that many colors in the output image, because it can only average about a dozen colors per scan line. This is one of those things were if you are seeing too many line segments by 50M evaluations, stop the conversion and raise the contrast and start over. The higher the contrast the easier it is for Rastconverter to pick and change colors. Of course it's all about compromise and you may have to change color brightness and gamma to make the picture still look good with the higher contrast. The more images you do, the more you'll notice what works and what doesn't.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

On 1/19/2021 at 11:18 AM, amarok said:

Coins, 20 colors, 1,850M evaluations.

output.png.2c9f2a9ddba006435a1b38b7c18ab13a.png

I select 10,000 solutions (/s=10000) for my conversions and it requires more iterations to get image which satisfied me.

In some of my conversions the number of evaluations exceeds 1G and I have to wait couple of days for result.

If you whish you can check the number of iterations for my conversions on my gitlab: https://gitlab.com/amarok8bit/rastaconverter/-/blob/master/README.md

But please note that I am not so experienced in conversions like Gunstar and other users on this forum and my approach might be not the best one.

amarok_coins.xex 22.03 kB · 12 downloads

My "sweet spot" in number of solutions is about 8000. I actually have this "theory" that Rastaconverter can work better with multiples of 8 that computers are based on. I started out years ago using 1024, then 2048, then 4096, then 8192. and I kept going higher than that but images would take much longer to render and weren't any better in the end than with 8192 and errors where much more frequent the more evaluations they had to run, so I went back to 8192 and that's what I stick with for all my images now and they are resolved good enough between 150-500M. Of course every image is different for me when it comes to other settings, and the more you do, the better you get at knowing what settings work best for different types of images. You can judge for yourself by the quality of my images and lower number of evaluations I use if my "theory" is a good one...

This is a great image, IMHO, by the way.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

@777ismyname The image of the Smoky Mountains I posted was just an image I pulled off the net, as are most of my conversions, so I can't say exactly what part of the mountains it's from or what polar direction it was taken from.

The preprocess warning is no joke. Just playing around with the ciede/dithering options and the warning about taking a long while pops up :) Indeed it did! I'm going to have to do lots of experimenting, for sure.

The original image (well, not the RAW image, but original JPG plus whatever AtariAge/browser does to it on the other end)

P1010194_2.thumb.jpg.8f1e180020f18388e46062ab223cf215.jpg

Attempt #2 using the Rasta GUI: Brightness 0, contrast 30, gamma 0, color distance YUV, jarvis dithering @.3 strength, pallette real, ~3,250,000 evaluations. No XEX, as I keep getting an unhandled exception error trying that. Off to experiment more.

Leaf_Attempt2.png.c9ae3cfe93d9d23e1e1dd4075d92d82f.png

11 hours ago, Gunstar said:

WOW. Now we just need some .xex's from you so we can see them on the real McCoy.! Those are incredible

Oh snap, I just realized why I was getting the unhandled exception errors when trying to make XEX files in the GUI. I was renaming the files to the general area where they were taken...and the Rasta is looking for a file named 'outout' :( I will have a free day this weekend and will re-run the above images and more, and make the appropriate XEX for each.

The top image above is taken where the Craggy Mountains meet the Black Mountains, with the Smoky Mountains in the far distance. The second image is a very, very common site in these particular mountains, where fog rolls over them from the west or southwest. This mouintain is ~3/4 of a mile from where I was standing and ~1,500' higher.

Here is one that worked out very well, IMO. It is taken near the Appalachian Trail, just inside North Carolina - a mile or so from the Tennessee border in the Unaka Range of the Southern Appalachians. These are natural, grassy balds and there is a couple of inches of fresh, powdery snow - nearing golden hour. This is facing southwest, down the Unaka Range, to a little bit of the Iron Mountains, with the tallest and prominent mountains in the background are the Black Mountains (~25 miles/40KM away) My daughter and granddog were there yesterday and this was taken from the MMS she sent me. Will try to get the full size image for reworking this weekend.

UNAKA1_01202021.png.8dec5817dad34fd5686879b54210baae.png

Edited by 777ismyname
  • Like 6

On 1/31/2021 at 7:43 PM, gnusto said:

it's still the case that NTSC palettes fail me almost every time.

• it may be worth experimenting also with different color distance functions
  • maybe there is some other palette (ACT) file available for NTSC? I used the one from Atari800 emulator I think.

If Mark truly loves Stella he wouldn't let anything that nasty near her. That is one crazy looking whack job with an Atari stick shopped in... though it is facing the wrong way and not even in the old dudes mits... Maybe we are going for statement about how fake a person is or photo shopping can be... Yes I get in now, you may well have succeeded.

I still can't let him anywhere near stella though

Here is my best of several attempts at the image @Faicuai posted in another thread and asked me to convert. I'm re-attempting though, as I don't like the "bloodshot" left eye in this conversion or the upper left forehead area.

Lady. 33 colors.

Lady1.png

Lady1.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Here is my best of several attempts at the image @Faicuai posted in another thread and asked me to convert. I'm re-attempting though, as I don't like the "bloodshot" left eye in this conversion or the upper left forehead area.

Lady. 33 colors.

Lady1.png

Lady1.xex 22.05 kB · 2 downloads

Nice effort. I think it came out really good.

Now do Lady1 - Part 2, that just has the lower half. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3