IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

2 hours ago, Philsan said:

Perhaps @drpeter has an easy solution?

Chris has done more work along these lines, and I think has the correct approach.

As I understand it, you want to chain a Rastaconverter XEX to another XEX which loads and runs when the Rasta image has displeyed.

The first point, which I suspect you are already aware of, is that a Rastaconverter image can't be used as a conventional 'load screen' that displeys while the main program is loading because the 6502 is too tied up with maintaining the image to attend to SIO operations- leaving aside the point that the graphics RAM and the Rasta kernel itself take up ~30K of memory which you'd need to avoid overwiting while the second program loaded.  So you'll have to lose the Rasta image while the second program loads- but as I said, I suspect you're well aware of that.

The standard ways of chaining two programs for loading should work for Rastaconverter images as long as this is borne in mind.

As an aside I never quite understood why of all possible choices the original Rastaconverter kernel decided to use DOSVEC as a dummy zero-page variable, thereby guaranteeing a crash after returning to the OS when display is terminated by a keypress or trigger press. In my modified version (including vertical centreing of 'widescreen' images) I changed this to use one of the frame-counter locations instead, enabling a more graceful exit back to DOS.

Chris @Sheddy, I'm sure you've got this but let me know if you want any input.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

I suspect changing the BG colour would make less colours available to cover the feathers and likely introduce unwanted artifacts.

... but definitely worth a shot though.

Your assumption is correct. At the beginning I was trying to introduce more colors to the image, especially on the backround. But the results were far away from my expectations because of lack of details on the feathers area. Therefore I decided to sacrify the number of colors on the background and keep the sharpness and details of the parrot. Besides the background of the original image has nearly the same color as feathers:

blue-and-gold-macaw-debra-dickson.jpg

4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

I pop in to the thread from time to time just to look at the images, on a dull covid laced day these pics on our fave machines just brighten the day up..Thanks people..

I am glad to hear that I can do something to make someone's live a little more colorful. To be honest, I started my journey with RastaConverter and the forum on April 2020 because of the Covid situation. I quickly realized that it is a great escape from everyday life for myself.

Many years ago I found here first images converted by RastaConverter and I was really surprised that 8-bit Atari computer can do it. I remember that I showed some pictures from the forum to my friends and they were amazed too. Now I can add something from myself to this thread and this gives me a lot of satisfaction.

I am happy to be here with you guys :). Take care.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Sheddy said:
On 2/7/2021 at 5:54 PM, Sheddy said:

Good question.

Probably, change the Rastaconverter run address to be an ini address instead. Then assuming no source, remove the 1st 2 "ff" header bytes of the XEX file that is to be loaded afterwards and append it to the Rastaconverter XEX. Maybe you don't need to remove the header bytes though. Finding the run address of the Rastaconverter picture without source might be a pain. Can send you a bit more specific if you need.

Kind regards

Chris

Run address is right at the end.

E0 02 E1 02 00 58

Change to

E2 02 E3 02 00 58

(Load $5800 into INI address $2E2, $2E3)

Well, that doesn't seem to work. I thought it might be because Rastaconverter trashes DOSVEC, but changing it to use a different zero page still crashes after the picture is done. Must be missing something dumb as

Actually it does work. It was just too quick to notice! Problem was I chose another Rastaconverter picture to be the XEX test to load after the 1st picture. Because the 2nd picture loads instantly in the emulator, still having the space bar pressed from exiting the 1st picture causes the 2nd to exit immediately...

Anything except another Rastaconverter picture XEX to load after will probably be just fine. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 6:05 PM, MrFish said:

Green Acres finished up a month or so ago. Nothing happened over the last month, so I decided to call it done. Previously, it would run for weeks, with no changes, then suddenly have changes constantly, for weeks on end. Interesting process to watch. I'd say it ran continuously for 6 to 8 months nonstop, total. 

?

Damn, I should have added some Bitcoin miner to RastaConverter and now I'd be a millionaire ;-)

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Rybags said:

You'd be not far from Eustace from Mountain Men ?

Not very far, at least as the crow flies. His place is to the east of Boone proper. In this entire region there aren’t many straight roads; the topography dictates that the roads snake in and out. Google Earth doesn’t do it justice, either. I’ve got a video on my YouTube channel showing the one old two lane state highway going to the cabin near where the pictures above were taken and there are ~170 very steep curves, with a large part of them being complete switchbacks. 

Edit: probably 35 miles as the crow flies, just guessing. 

Edited by 777ismyname

1 hour ago, 777ismyname said:

777ISMYNAME_OUTHOUSE1.png.3b325a9b6d4294e2e24f73dd260c1898.png

I'm sure there are several of you that are old enough to have used one of these, especially so if you are in a rural location. Well, this one is mine and is 100% functional :)

777ISMYNAME_OUTHOUSE1.xex 21.54 kB · 3 downloads

I had someone message me to ask me what this is :) 

For those that aren’t privy, it is a privy :) We always called them outhouses. It is an outdoor toilet facility, built over a hole in the ground.

This is at my east cabin, where I’m usually at for our Atari Zoom meetings. We have a fresh water spring coming out of the ground, cool (as in temperature) storage built into the base of a 200’ hill - the act as a food cache, and we will build another spring box (another cool - as in temperature) in the branch (term for a small creek) for food storage. The upper 450’ of the property doesn’t get any appreciable sunshine the entire year, making it an awesome place for the stuff above, plus a cool spot, relatively speaking, on hot summer days.

On 2/9/2021 at 1:48 PM, amarok said:

Your assumption is correct. At the beginning I was trying to introduce more colors to the image, especially on the backround. But the results were far away from my expectations because of lack of details on the feathers area. Therefore I decided to sacrify the number of colors on the background and keep the sharpness and details of the parrot. Besides the background of the original image has nearly the same color as feathers:

blue-and-gold-macaw-debra-dickson.jpg

This image and the Rasta version are awesome!

• Thanks 1

The art of the 'father of space art,' Chesley Bonastell. I have a few of these I'm working on, had 6 completed and decided to redo them, they weren't good enough conversions for Chesley's work. Here are the first two of those redone so far. Liberties have been taken with cropping, mirroring and color saturation before Rastaconverter as images were of sometimes old and faded sources and to best work with Rastaconverter.

Chesley B. 1. 21 colors.

Chesley B. 2. 57 colors.

ChesleyB1.png

ChesleyB2.png

ChesleyB1.xex ChesleyB2.xex

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

This one did not come out as nice as I had hoped.  I think a talented G2F pixel artist could really do this justice.

Original - OneZakandhisKrackenbyCarrion.png.413f01e9a75d8033382e9751d29ea28c.png

All I did to prepare this image was crop it to an exact 320*240 lines (removed bottom 8 lines).

Kraken.thumb.png.647ae0e28a80e6d020f20cf491fdbd06.png

Stephen-YankenMyKranken.xex 22.1 kB · 6 downloads

I'm sure I've seen this image or one very like it on the Atari before. I think it might have been a G2F creation, but it might have also been a rendering in one of those other software graphic modes like HIP or TIP, etc. Possibly an earlier Rasta conversion done of a C64 version of this art?

Edited by Gunstar

8 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I'm sure I've seen this image or one very like it on the Atari before. I think it might have been a G2F creation, but it might have also been a rendering in one of those other software graphic modes like HIP or TIP, etc. Possibly an earlier Rasta conversion done of a C64 version of this art?

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/200118-images-generated-by-rastaconverter/?do=findComment&comment=3147608 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1