IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

11 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I'm sure I've seen this image or one very like it on the Atari before. I think it might have been a G2F creation, but it might have also been a rendering in one of those other software graphic modes like HIP or TIP, etc. Possibly an earlier Rasta conversion done of a C64 version of this art?

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

I'm fairly sure that's a Plus/4 picture - the C64's 16 colour palette wouldn't be able to touch that.

2 hours ago, ilmenit said:

Yeah - this was a C4 picture.  It looked familiar to me, but I didn't remember the conversion.  I was glad to see the post was from 2015, so I don't feel too bad about forgetting.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 3:59 AM, Gunstar said:

The art of the 'father of space art,' Chesley Bonastell. I have a few of these I'm working on, had 6 completed and decided to redo them, they weren't good enough conversions for Chesley's work. Here are the first two of those redone so far. Liberties have been taken with cropping, mirroring and color saturation before Rastaconverter as images were of sometimes old and faded sources and to best work with Rastaconverter.

Chesley B. 1. 21 colors.

Chesley B. 2. 57 colors.

ChesleyB1.png

ChesleyB2.png

ChesleyB1.xex 22.25 kB · 9 downloads ChesleyB2.xex 22.13 kB · 11 downloads

Wow, these are perfect! Thanks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gury said:

It seems that blue color is more intense because of the blue shadows on the original picture. I wish I could figure out proper settings in RastaConverter to remedy this.

Limited colour palette on our machine causing this.  If I were you, I would try editing the source image - turn down the saturation in the lower half of the image and see if that helps.  There's definitely pre-processing that can help with this, but it's all experimenting.

6 hours ago, Gury said:

...It seems that blue color is more intense because of the blue shadows on the original picture....

bled.xex 21.98 kB · 9 downloads

This is a problem I’ve discovered in several dozen images I’ve converted and discarded. There was so much blue in the sky, along with a few puffy clouds here and there, that it just doesn’t work out for me on the Atari. 

It would be really cool to see a VBXE version of Rastaconverter :) 

I wouldn't think Rastaconverter for VBXE is necessary. The entire reason we need it for standard Atari's is to allow the maximum colors while working within many restrictions imposed by the hardware. VBXE already has the possibility of displaying millions(?) of colors and direct imports should be possible, as easy as loading a .jpeg and saving it as a .png image or vice-versa. It's only a matter of format and not rebuilding an image from the ground up like Rastaconverter. What VBXE needs is an actual graphic art program so we artistically inclined users can make use of it's graphics. Maybe a G2F "light." (running on a real Atari+VBXE)

Edited by Gunstar

As for better color depth art on our Atari 8-bits, there are quite a few decent graphic arts apps that make use of software graphic modes with interlacing and other tricks for better perceived resolution using modes like HIP, TIP, etc. They can display, at different resolutions, anywhere from 16 to thousands of colors, but the issue is flickering. Otherwise the only other option is using G2F on a PC which allows you to create art using many of the same assets and restrictions that Rastaconverter uses to convert images. I've been meaning to get back into real art creation on my Atari myself, using some of these software graphic mode apps. I'd like to see threads like this one for art created by users on Atari's using these new modes and legacy apps like Rambrandt and Technicolor dream. I need to start on my own and maybe get the ball rolling. 

RC for VBXE wouldn't really work.  Changing a single palette entry takes 3 x load/store operations for the RGB.

Using colourmaps and all 4 palettes and attribute map allows 1024 colours.  You could probably do an 8x1 attribute cell size to give an FLI-like mode.

Redefining an entire palette probably takes more cycles than it's worth.  But even with just the Atari base 256 colours you can cover most needs.  Or a custom palette to suit the picture displayed will be even closer.

51 minutes ago, Rybags said:

RC for VBXE wouldn't really work.  Changing a single palette entry takes 3 x load/store operations for the RGB.

Using colourmaps and all 4 palettes and attribute map allows 1024 colours.  You could probably do an 8x1 attribute cell size to give an FLI-like mode.

Redefining an entire palette probably takes more cycles than it's worth.  But even with just the Atari base 256 colours you can cover most needs.  Or a custom palette to suit the picture displayed will be even closer.

Yeah - the image viewer I currently am coding does just that - reads an 8bpp BPM file, reads in the palette, then displays the image in 256 colour mode at 320 pixel resolution.  It's amazing just how good 320*240@256 colour looks, especially on CRT.  Even in 160 pixel resolution, that amount of colour is impressive.

• Like 8

On 2/18/2021 at 5:55 PM, Stephen said:

Yeah - the image viewer I currently am coding does just that - reads an 8bpp BPM file, reads in the palette, then displays the image in 256 colour mode at 320 pixel resolution.  It's amazing just how good 320*240@256 colour looks, especially on CRT.  Even in 160 pixel resolution, that amount of colour is impressive.

Great work! 

• Thanks 1

OK - another request from the 7800 forum.  Another Commodore +4 image - "Wonderland by Piesiu".  Apologies if this has also been done, the thread is far too large these days to search for everything.  Original image can be found https://tomseditor.com/gallery/i/33068/wonderland-by-piesiu&lang=en

Stephen_Piesiu_Wonderboy.thumb.png.5948ffc2fb8384a570007a0d3c6c2d94.png

Stephen_Piesu_Wonderland.xex

• Like 4