IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

Very nice collection there over-all @Beeblebrox. I don't suppose you could find it in your heart to put them all in a .zip file to download if you have this many to post in the Future? I think I've posted a half-dozen separately at a time before, but this is almost two dozen!?

Here ya go:

Beeblebrox2.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Very nice collection there over-all @Beeblebrox. I don't suppose you could find it in your heart to put them all in a .zip file to download if you have this many to post in the Future? I think I've posted a half-dozen separately at a time before, but this is almost two dozen!?

@Gunstar  Thanks :). No worries  - I plan to post less next time around - but if I do get carried away I'll be sure to include a zip of them all too.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Philsan said:

@Beeblebrox, my Atari is connected to monitor with s-video.

To have an even better quality, why don't you use Sophia 2 internal plug and play (if your GTIA is socketed) board?

Another Atari of mine has it.

@Philsan Sure, it had crossed my mind over the weekend. I watched one of FJC's old videos a few weeks ago showing a newly installed Sophia (1) mod.

How do you find Sophia 2 when it comes to viewing the RC images?  (Were those images you posted of your CRT displaying some of my 1st posted images on the A8 with Sophia installed incidentally? I assumed it was a stock A8)

Also did you install it youself? I'd have to check to see if any of my XE's have socketed GTIA chips.

I'll see if this DIN to S-video cable and new Upscaler improves things a bit. (I hope the cable itself it well sheilded too).  Have this coming: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322480517537

Goin back up into that attic/wasteland tmrw to see what other Atari goodies can be extracted.:D

Edited by Beeblebrox

6 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

How do you find Sophia 2 when it comes to viewing the RC images?  (Were those images you posted of your CRT displaying some of my 1st posted images on the A8 with Sophia installed incidentally? I assumed it was a stock A8)

Also did you install it youself? I'd have to check to see if any of my XE's have socketed GTIA chips.

I didn't test Sophia 2 with RC images. My previous photos are from a modded 800XL connected with s-video cable to a CRT monitor.

Stock 130XE with s-video have a good output too.

In fact I tested Sophia 2 once and I even don't remember to which of my monitor I connected it...

With DVI output and a modern monitor you'll get an emulator like image.

It was easy to install.

1 hour ago, Philsan said:

I didn't test Sophia 2 with RC images. My previous photos are from a modded 800XL connected with s-video cable to a CRT monitor.

Stock 130XE with s-video have a good output too.

In fact I tested Sophia 2 once and I even don't remember to which of my monitor I connected it...

With DVI output and a modern monitor you'll get an emulator like image.

It was easy to install.

@Philsan Thanks - great to hear those images were on your non enhanced 800XL. I'll hopefully have luck with the XE S-video output. (Anything is better than the current output).

I may well at some stage down the line consider Sophia 2 for one of my A8 XEs. I checked out this video earlier where there is a visual comparrison between outputs on S-video and Sophia2 12mins in: 

Sophia 2 does look easy to install (especially if you are lucky to have a socketed GTIA chip).

Hope some of my latest posted images look good on your CRT? 

I bet Gunstar's Tophatgirl image looks great on it?!

RastaSlide - RastaConverter Slide Show Maker - version 2.4

Changes in version 2.4
- Removed false positives of possible artefacts on duplicate writes by "#disassemble" 
- Includes Drpeter's latest version 3 "Tutorial Walkthrough" for artefact correction

Thanks to Drpeter for our messaging about the false positives which I hadn't given enough thought about in the above case.

RastaSlide 2.4.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2021 at 1:40 AM, rensoup said:

Glad you like that BS tune, it's also one of my favourite tunes, and Vinscool's cover is my favourite A8 cover ever ?

(and also covered at my request ?) It runs at 100Hz but can be converted down to 50Hz easily with RMT2LZSS with minimal loss.

You bet... the LZSS player is much faster than RMT so if RMT can be played, it's no problem either for LZSS. I don't know if anyone did RC + LZSS though I know @pps did a G2F + LZSS app.

Any volunteer ?

Yes, it is possible to use the player plus rasterconverter, too. I will change the source I submitted on github soon, to hae correct RMT2LZSS support - the actually seen code uses original @dmsc routine, that is not the same as the one RMT2LZSS uses - and will add an example of rastervonverter, too.

But my code actually runs with just 50 or 60 Hz songs, as I needed it to run from interrupt. So not all songs will work then.

I will make noise here, when I am ready with it ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's Saturday night TV/movie night :grin: Few images I've been working on. 

FYI XEX files individually posted at the end as well as a single zip with them all included, along with the JPGs too. (Images taken from Altirra)

Filename: Beeblebrox_Ghostgeisharobot2_18 --- 85 unique colours
Bit of those mildly disturbing Ghost in the Shell Geisha Robots. Really pleased with the overall image dispite the annoying errors which I gave up trying to process out.

Beeblebrox_Ghostgeisharobot2_18.thumb.jpg.47361c8d593ef52ecc430418af698ce2.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_Indiannajoneslastcrusadesm_7 --- 29 unique colours
Classic action blockbuster and the colours and definition hasn't turned out too bad.

Beeblebrox_Indiannajoneslastcrusadesm_7.thumb.jpg.120502f75f159f5e5727c413c7c046b1.jpg

Big Studio Ghibli fan so some images from Spirited Away for these next three images:

Filename: Beeblebrox_Spiritedawayhouse_8 --- 79 unique colours
Really please with how this turned out - love the colours

Beeblebrox_Spiritedawayhouse_8.thumb.jpg.05a88747de6568b2c0806dbbdffa794d.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_SpiritedawayStepssm_10 --- 70 unique colours
Managed to get the colours right here too - shading on steps not too shabby.

Beeblebrox_SpiritedawayStepssm_10.thumb.jpg.5e2f16e356d31b709102fb3056073cc1.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_spiritedawaygirlpigsm_5 --- 36 unique colours
Few minor errors but it stayed true to the source image colours

Beeblebrox_spiritedawaygirlpigsm_5.thumb.jpg.89e1f2726c8bed8699b41f382620e6af.jpg

I read most of Roald Dahl's amazing books growing up - (it's compulsory reading in the UK along with HHGTTG heh heh!:P) - gotta love em

BFG was one of the most read and the recent film did it justice, so couple of BFG images for ya:

Filename: Beeblebrox_BFGPortraitsm_12 ---  62 Unique colours
Few line errors but a nice warm blue colorset offsets the skin tones IMHO;-)

Beeblebrox_BFGPortraitsm_12.thumb.jpg.94c08185eebb6f869af1cab5b76eaa02.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_BFGSophiesm_20 --- 65 unique colours
My fav of the recent BFG themed images I've converted (oh, there is more!! :D) - Really pleased with the colours - despite the line errors and banding.

Beeblebrox_BFGSophiesm_20.thumb.jpg.f797702be34d652897b9b513ac67a2a3.jpg

Just for fun - some Snoopy:

Filename: Beeblebrox_Snoopyandwoodstock_2 --- 33 unique colours
Simple but I was very pleased to see how it turned out and weirdly this is one of my fav of late

Beeblebrox_Snoopyandwoodstock_2.thumb.jpg.f6d79c3d9ec322b490cf47e99ea68144.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_Bladerunnerstreet5sm_13 --- 100 unique colours
I always have a Bladerunner image on the go, (one of my fav films of all time). Few line errors but nice effect overall - and 100 colors too!

Beeblebrox_Bladerunnerstreet5sm_13.thumb.jpg.5323fc3e877100df06d8b4bb31666fc9.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_Raystarwarssunset2sm_7 --- 62 unique colours
Nice Star Wars "walking off into the desert sunset shot" here - sure it's a lil fuzzy with a few errors but overall effect quite pleasing and "sort of" adds to the lighting effect (least I think so :cool:).

Beeblebrox_Raystarwarssunset2sm_7.thumb.jpg.cb32ee1c6ebdb08e9dca5c9963d084de.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_Maleficentgreenpostersm_23 --- 65 unique colours
Spent quite a while trying to perfect this  - annoying banding I just couldn't shake but quite striking features and colours, so I decided to include it.

Beeblebrox_Maleficentgreenpostersm_23.thumb.jpg.f7951c75dce6f9d369d77ab6d4549cc6.jpg

Beeblebrox11picsandXEXs.zip Beeblebrox_BFGPortraitsm_12.xex Beeblebrox_BFGSophiesm_20.xex Beeblebrox_Bladerunnerstreet5sm_13.xex Beeblebrox_Ghostgeisharobot2_18.xex Beeblebrox_Indiannajoneslastcrusadesm_7.xex Beeblebrox_Maleficentgreenpostersm_23.xex Beeblebrox_Raystarwarssunset2sm_7.xex Beeblebrox_Snoopyandwoodstock_2.xex Beeblebrox_spiritedawaygirlpigsm_5.xex Beeblebrox_Spiritedawayhouse_8.xex Beeblebrox_SpiritedawayStepssm_10.xex

Edited by Beeblebrox
typos
  • Like 13

7 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Hi Guys, did someone already try to convert Prince of Persia Amiga/PC title screen?

@Jacques  heh heh I 'just' literally posted this on the Unicorn POP thread:D:

.... Very much a WIP:

"...

when I first heard about the project a month+ back I started a RastaConversion of the classic PoP title screen just to see what it would look like. I ended up doing a few, (early ones failed), and then I started this one, a 320*200 format so there was space at the bottom for your credits if desired/technically possible. I'd popped it on the back burner but just resumed it yesterday alongside some other RC conversions. 

So far it looks like this (employs all PMGs btw):

559744126_POPtitlescreenWIP@14_06_21.thumb.jpg.7da0d14da2db24b6321b19e753a3f81d.jpg

Some errors and the lower blue blocking isn't quite right. (Incidentally the lower screen white line error only appears in Altirra and not my A8 hardware).

I may well have a tweak of the source image and RC setting and restart a fresh run. Doing it for myself as much as anything, but if a good version emerges which can be used if possible and it helps, then great.:thumbsup:

XEX attached. Very much a WIP/experiment as I say. 8)

princeofpersiascreen2incomplete8.xex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick one. Has anyone tried to convert the same image with RC, all same settings, pallettes, etc, but one version with PMGs/col registers all off, and one with them all on - just to compare the results? I am currently doing so at the mo with 320*200 images. 

I'd be curious to know/see the two images side by side. 

EDIT: pref the more colours in the image the better :-D

Edited by Beeblebrox
adding more info
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, Beeblebrox said:

Just a quick one. Has anyone tried to convert the same image with RC, all same settings, pallettes, etc, but one version with PMGs/col registers all off, and one with them all on - just to compare the results? I am currently doing so at the mo with 320*200 images. 

I'd be curious to know/see the two images side by side. 

EDIT: pref the more colours in the image the better :-D

How does the end user "conversionist" turn off PMGs/Color registers? I've never seen such an option to choose while using RC...though I've never attempted to use it through the DOS command line, only the GUI window...I would have tried years ago if I knew how. I think it's been 3-4 years now that I have been converting images. I do remember someone here sharing an image without the PMG's, etc., during a conversation within this thread regarding practical use, but I assumed they were able to do it because they are coders and could just extract them or something.

From help file included in Rastaconverter

REGISTER OFF|ON FROM TO

REGISTER is one of the following registers: COLOR0,COLOR1,COLOR2,COLBAK,COLPM0,COLPM1,COLPM2,COLPM3,HPOSP0,HPOSP1,HPOSP2,HPOSP3
  OFF turns off the usage of registers in lines, ON turns on. ON is default for all the registers in the whole picture.
  FROM is line number in picture starting from 0
  TO is line number in picture up to Picture Height-1

Every line in "OnOff file" is processed one after another.

Example:
  To turn off usage of player 0 and player 1 in picture of height 240 pixels use the following OnOff file:

COLPM0 OFF 0 239
HPOSP0 OFF 0 239
COLPM1 OFF 0 239
HPOSP1 OFF 0 239

In the GUI there's Register on/off button.

Never tried but I think you should load a TXT file with above text.

• Like 1

That's it. Dead easy and I have two "off" txt files which I have set up using notepad. One for 320*200 and one for 320*240. It's really easy to select it using the RC GUI.

TBH up until now I've always used the PMGs/colour regs in my conversions because I wanted to get the best possible image/number of colours. However I am curious to see what a good image converted with and without them looks like side by side. Obviously they'll be other factors involved during the conversions as they each run their course. However if you had the same RC settings and used the same source file, (saved as another file name just in case), but just excluded the PMGs from one, might be interesting to see the difference in the outputs.

So the 320*200 off.txt file is:

COLPM0 OFF 0 199
HPOSP0 OFF 0 199
COLPM1 OFF 0 199
HPOSP1 OFF 0 199

and 320*240 off text file is:

COLPM0 OFF 0 239
HPOSP0 OFF 0 239
COLPM1 OFF 0 239
HPOSP1 OFF 0 239

I've got em confused once or twice of late so I called the former off240.txt. (And then still acdidentally used it for a 320*200 conversion!!! Doh!:party:

I have been using the Altirra pallette with Yuv most of the time but of late I've switched to Atari800winplus and Ciede. 

:grin:

Edited by Beeblebrox
typos
  • Like 1

Ok, few new images for ya. I have had a lot more running over the last few weeks but I've not felt they are ready yet or just generally wasn't happy with how they were going. (I exclude a good few conversions on a regular basis). So only posting a handful at this stage with more to come over the next week or so.

As such and because I wanted to show the source images I've also included reduced size screenshots of the conversion processing images for mainly colour comparrison. (Just on the offchance for those who are't familiar with the RC interface/conversion processing: the first image is the original source image, the 3rd is the target "predicted" image which the conversion is aspiring to, and one in the middle is the actual conversion image.)

Despite only 3 x images l've provided a zip with the XEX and the Altirra output JPGs. :thumbsup:

First up: in light of the Ghostbusters movie coming out this year (with some of the original 80's cast!:-D), I converted this new take on the famous logo. It's turned out quite nicely.

Managed to stick to the original colours of the source image, (although red could be a little more bright if I'm being picky - should have gone with the Atari800winplus pallette).

FYI it's intended to look old and battered with patina, etc

Filename: Beeblebrox_Ghostbusters2020logosm_17.xex -- 38 Unique colours - some errors especially just under Ghost's right armpit - doh!

Beeblebrox_Ghostbusters2020logosm_17.thumb.jpg.d12fd61a289312176f6dceef84cd127d.jpg

Incidentally here is the conversion:

image.thumb.png.d75a8a4bbf675d0a22473fd4dfab693c.png

Next up I really liked the look of the following image from a ReadyPlayerOne title poster and felt it would convert well in RC. Glad I stuck at this one as I left it running into the billions of evals over the last few weeks (on and off). Again more or less stuck to the original colours, although some blues became purples and jaw line gradient shading is a lil chunky.

Filename: Beeblebrox_Readyplayeronesm_16.xex -- 82 unique colours - some errors and banding still present

Beeblebrox_Readyplayeronesm_16.thumb.jpg.2fd1d30e9eb4a14e820834d49fdaea5d.jpg

The conversion:

image.thumb.png.e3e8e6053eb1c07573648c31f1d43462.png

Finally this one really caught my eye when I found it on a Google search. The tattoo on her back really stood out. There is unfortunately banding and some of the detail from the original didn't come through, but it wasn't going to improve by running it any longer I felt. Plus in pre-processing I intentionally tweaked the colours in order to get the details I wanted to stand out - so they differ a bit from the original. (More green rather then the original turquiose-blue). Still I like it.:cool:

Filename: Beeblebrox_SamuraiTattoosm_19.xex --  56 Unique colours - banding and line errors present but I think this is as good as I could get this particular run.

Beeblebrox_SamuraiTattoosm_19.thumb.jpg.2b1ae1fc3c677a7ccb915e7a39553612.jpg

and the conversion:

image.thumb.png.d58005e6c19b9d3e6a98968089230cca.png

More to follow :cool:

Beeblebrox_Ghostbusters2020logosm_17.xex Beeblebrox_Readyplayeronesm_16.xex Beeblebrox_SamuraiTattoosm_19.xex Beeblebrox_3ximages.zip

image.png

image.png

Beeblebrox_Readyplayeronesm_16.jpg

Beeblebrox_SamuraiTattoosm_19.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox
rogue dup images accidentally posted
  • Like 4

This might be one of the posts Gunstar was talking about.

I disabled the PMG usage, but I disabled ALL of them:

COLPM0 OFF 0 239
HPOSP0 OFF 0 239
COLPM1 OFF 0 239
HPOSP1 OFF 0 239
COLPM2 OFF 0 239
HPOSP2 OFF 0 239
COLPM3 OFF 0 239
HPOSP3 OFF 0 239

You could play Pong on top of that flag :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ClausB said:

Or Breakout

Sure. Or Miner 2049'er. Now imagine that, with a 50+ colors background that makes up the platforms and all! :) You only need the PMGs for Bob and the enemies. And note that not the whole screen has to be one big raster kernel. You could sometimes skip one or two lines if the background permits, and use the available time to adjust the players some more (hpos, colors, etc...)