IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

RastaSlide - RastaConverter Slide Show Maker - version 2.5

Changes in version 2.5

- Optimizer now removes HPOS writes when there is no player data for their range, for
  small compression gain and reducing false positives of possible artefacts using
  "#disassemble optimized"
- Fixed bugs with false positive detection of possible artefacts excluding real ones
- Timing and artefact comments only produced with disassembly tools and not slide add
- Fixed problems displaying 3 pictures made with a very early(beta?) RastaConverter:
  "cliff", "purple_nurple" and "sakuras2b"

sheddy_umbrella.png.a0bbeaa50319ff4caa302d310d13873d.png

sheddy_umbrella.xex RastaSlide 2.5.zip

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, drpeter said:

@Sheddy that umbrella reminded me of this:

On The Beach

Chris Rea, album cover 1986

33 colours.

output.png

drpeter_OnTheBeach.xex 22.19 kB · 3 downloads

The clouds came out really well. They still appear "fluffy." I'll put that in my tropical/beach favorites folder.

So often in my conversions, though the clouds may look okay or even perfectly fine in a final image, they look far different from the source image, starting with the destination image as usually too few colors/shades are used, even from a palette of 256, and the clouds look flat and lack the depth and shape they had. Then during conversion the palette is halved, and depending on the subject matter and colors, the clouds may end up with only 3-5 shades/colors. But 'On The Beach' clouds look great, even with so few proper shading and highlighting colors. I've had a few that turned out great; for example a Star Wars image that, IIRC, I titled 'Red 5' or maybe it was 'On your Six, Red 5' with a Tie-fighter chasing an X-wing above the clouds. But it is rare to find settings that work well for the clouds without detriment to the usual main subject matter.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I don't have any way to convert images to a format usable on an Atari (M1 mac user). could someone turn this into something viewable? 

popt.png

Do you want it made into a Rasta image, or a format loadable on the Atari in a way that can be edited?

BTW - you know the Atari can't do red correct?  I can get you a nice VBXE version of you like :)

• Confused 1

I'd like to submit it as a possible PoP title screen. If we can't do red, we can do something closeish, I'm sure it doesn't matter if it's not exact. I mangled the colours quite a lot when I posterized it down to 4 levels. 

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I'd like to submit it as a possible PoP title screen. If we can't do red, we can do something closeish, I'm sure it doesn't matter if it's not exact. I mangled the colours quite a lot when I posterized it down to 4 levels. 

Rasta conversion is not going that well.  I'll leave it go for a few hours while I am working tonight, but not expecting good results.  I think this is a case where a proper pixel artist working in a tool like G2F will do wonders.

PoP_Progress.thumb.png.6d0c6b8724d2f25234821112e572ca45.png

Pop_Title.thumb.png.3f7506a00e1311c301b17c89ac26dfe7.png

Stephen_PopTitle.xex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Rasta conversion is not going that well.  I'll leave it go for a few hours while I am working tonight, but not expecting good results.  I think this is a case where a proper pixel artist working in a tool like G2F will do wonders.

I have to agree that I don't think that RC is the answer for a PoP title picture, although it gives spectacular results sometimes, it just doesn't have that clean look...

• Like 3

I agree too. I tried to get the image down to a low enough number of colours that it might be possible to convert without RC, but I don't have the tools to do this kind of art. I should dig out some atari art programs if I can't use G2F.

I think most RC images look like early Amiga NewTek grabs, which is pretty impressive for an 8-bit but not really like a good hand crafted image.

There is always the option to go for a crisp monochrome title screen.. actually various shades of one color !

If I manage to finish at least 2 of my on-going projects, I might try it.

image.thumb.png.89bcc34c1b0b495f08a888839f06ad81.png

Edited by TIX
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, rensoup said:

I have to agree that I don't think that RC is the answer for a PoP title picture, although it gives spectacular results sometimes, it just doesn't have that clean look...

Correct, the converter works the best with photos or paintings, however a converted pixel-art will almost always have visible errors. A skilled graphician armed with Graph2Font will produce much better results.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TIX said:

There is always the option to go for a crisp monochrome title screen.. actually various shades of one color !

This looks so clean and pleasant to the eyes!

14 hours ago, rensoup said:

I would say it depends on what clean kind of source file you put in the RC. ;)

POP_Screenshot_Scanlines.thumb.png.19fe2ecc2e305e07ff0dc60b8d9358e9.png

POP_RC_outputs.zip POP_title_RC.asm POP_title_RC.g2f POP_title_RC.mch POP_Title_RC.xex

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, VinsCool said:

blockquote widgetblockquote widge

8 hours ago, TIX said:

Hi.  This is my opinion I know but I personally think it would be a great shame to go monochrome/a la Gameboy as per above image. Having seen many games during the 90s go monochrome for the A8, (I understand some of the reasons why), I think there is an opportunity to show a really great colourful title screen. (And show what the A8 can really do). 

Again obviously it's down to the team in the end, but I am sure a colourful source image could be made which then allows a good conversion/final image. Or a graph2font, or piccalo image, etc. 

From my relatively limited time using RastaConverter for example a big part of it is getting a clean source image. You may well have to do a lot of preprocessing (like I did for my attempt at the Flob title poster) where you reduce the number of colours, swap colours and fill in gradient colour transitions with perhaps a single colour among other things. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, MARIO130XE said:

Made a new version after realizing some errors in the left border :D 

POP_Title_RC.png.c9c9936976b58dc65c09aa59399c5b97.png

feel free to optimize, use, change, recolour ...

Maybe we could have a nice POP title some day.

POP_Title_RC.asm 51.75 kB · 0 downloads POP_Title_RC.g2f 12.92 kB · 0 downloads POP_Title_RC.mch 30.11 kB · 0 downloads POP_Title_RC.xex 18.51 kB · 2 downloads POP_Title_RC-outputs.zip 455.73 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for that, it's looking very, very nice and promising. Clean Atari version of iconic PoP title screen.

Edited by Jacques
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 12:52 PM, Gunstar said:

Garden. 82 colors.

Garden1.png

Garden.xex 21.98 kB · 18 downloads

Your conversions have always been fantastic and still you continue to get better at making them.

The shadows in the foreground from a mostly unseen tree not only look just right they give real depth to the image.

I'm wishing yet again to have a PAL Atari rig.

-SteveS

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MARIO130XE said:

Made a new version after realizing some errors in the left border :D 

POP_Title_RC.png.c9c9936976b58dc65c09aa59399c5b97.png

feel free to optimize, use, change, recolour ...

Maybe we could have a nice POP title some day.

POP_Title_RC.asm 51.75 kB · 0 downloads POP_Title_RC.g2f 12.92 kB · 1 download POP_Title_RC.mch 30.11 kB · 0 downloads POP_Title_RC.xex 18.51 kB · 8 downloads POP_Title_RC-outputs.zip 455.73 kB · 0 downloads

That looks really good! I think with some brightness shading this would fit perfectly.