IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Chips 'n Skips

Recent work by enigmatic UK Bristol-based street artist Banksy, part of a series appearing in east-coast seaside towns.

They were created during a road trip in a campervan that the artist has referred to as his Great British Spraycation.

This example is located on the side of a house in Katwijk Way off Denmark Rd, Lowestoft, Suffolk- just opposite the train station.

Google Street View shows the pre-existing less artistic graffiti present from as far back as at least 2019.

Translation assistance for North American viewers: 

Chips == Fries

Skips == Roll-off containers/Dumpsters/Debris boxes

43 colours.

output.png

drpeter_BanksyGull.xex

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 10

There was an unfortunate Rasta artifact error in the clouds of the .xex above that I missed when I reviewed the .xex before posting. @drpeter was kind enough to fix it and sent me a correct version. Here it is below.

EmeraldVette_fixed.xex

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 2:30 PM, drpeter said:

Sergio Agüero

Manchester City legend Sergio Agüero bows out in style holding the Premier League trophy- having just extended his all-time club scoring record and setting the mark for most Premier League goals netted for one team.

57 colours.

output_2.png

drpeter_Aguero.xex 22.08 kB · 13 downloads

el Kun Aguero Greethings from argentina

The Proof Of The Pudding...

Diligent followers of this thread may recall there being some theoretical discussion a while back regarding the potential merits of horizontally flipping some images prior to RastaConverting in order to allow more detailed rendition of multiple colours on the right side of the image.

I decided to check if I was talking through my hat by trying this challenging conversion both ways...

Water-vole_rev.png

I ran this and its mirror image for 2 billion evaluations with otherwise identical settings, including a strength 5 mask on the vole itself.

Although I appreciate repeat conversions are not identical in results, I think the difference is obvious enough to draw conclusions.

In both versions of the image, the right half is more successful than its mirror-image on the left- but given the greater visual importance of the vole, the horizontally-flipped image is overall much more successful.

Interestingly, for what it's worth, the Norm. Dist. score was also slightly lower for the horizontally-flipped image- 39.10 vs 43.69 although unique colours were almost identical: 57 vs 58.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Water Vole

58 colours

output.png

drpeter_Vole_original.xex

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Water Vole (mirrored)

57 colours

output.png

drpeter_Vole_mirrored.xex

Edited by drpeter
xexs replaced with correct ones
  • Like 3

Wolf In Snow

26 colours.

The Wolf Of Ederachillis (excerpt)

On Ederachillis’ shore

The grey wolf lies in wait-

Woe to the broken door,

Woe to the loosened gate,

And the groping wretch whom sleety fogs

On the trackless moor belate.

The lean and hungry wolf,

With his fangs so sharp and white,

His starveling body pinched

By the frost of a northern night,

And his pitiless eyes that scare the dark

With their green and threatening light.

[…]

He climbeth the guarding dyke,

He leapeth the hurdle bars,

He steals the sheep from the pen,

And the fish from the boat-house spars;

And he digs the dead from out the sod,

And gnaws them under the stars.

A Book of Highland Minstrelsy

Mrs D Ogilvy, 1846, pp. 256-258

output.png

drpeter_Wolf.xex

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 9

Saw a photo from Gary Hershorn on the BBC website today and thought it nice.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/gary-hershorn

Still running but the images so far aren't to bad, perhaps someone might be able to do it better justice?

NTSC:

output.png.8ef3fe03591c9dc5608cf987d1d62dd2.png

PAL:

output.png.69906edbd81b03813aa4c5cd8b7a2d3e.png

Wrathchild_NYC_Sunset_PAL.xex Wrathchild_NYC_Sunset_NTSC.xex

• Like 8

19 hours ago, drpeter said:

Not necessarily....

While idly awaiting the definitive version from @Mauro Rodriguez I decided to run my favourite through Rasta, and this is what popped out:

Monumental Statue

40 colours.

output.png

drpeter_Statue.xex 21.92 kB · 14 downloads

Superb! The reds against the blues in this really work well. Would be amazing in an A8 graphical adventure game (cart based, compression utilised). Either as standalone screen in between text pages or if made in letterbox format with the text running underneath.

I know the Rasta image sizes are big and take up a lot of sys resources to dispplay, but IMHO it's so frustrating to see the A8 pumping out such amazing images and colours and not to see them featuring in graphic adventures/interactive novels when using the bigger storage capacities things like carts and the likes of Side3, etc offer (alongside compression).

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Saw a photo from Gary Hershorn on the BBC website today and thought it nice.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/gary-hershorn

Still running but the images so far aren't to bad, perhaps someone might be able to do it better justice?

NTSC:

output.png.8ef3fe03591c9dc5608cf987d1d62dd2.png

PAL:

output.png.69906edbd81b03813aa4c5cd8b7a2d3e.png

Wrathchild_NYC_Sunset_PAL.xex 17.85 kB · 6 downloads Wrathchild_NYC_Sunset_NTSC.xex 17.51 kB · 4 downloads

Very nice!

For a better effect I would use all vertical space (PAL=240 pixels)

3 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Would be amazing in an A8 graphical adventure game

Agree, but as far as I know we lack a good authoring tool that could compile such a game to an A8-compatible format.

Without such an authoring tool, the work involved in writing a text adventure/work of interactive fiction is increased by an order of magnitude and the quality of the end product diminished likewise.

4 hours ago, drpeter said:

Agree, but as far as I know we lack a good authoring tool that could compile such a game to an A8-compatible format.

Without such an authoring tool, the work involved in writing a text adventure/work of interactive fiction is increased by an order of magnitude and the quality of the end product diminished likewise.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/245851-rastaconverter-practical-usage/?do=findComment&comment=3372918

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ilmenit said:

This is a very impressive tool, but as I understand it, it facilitates making 'point & click' style graphic games, not illustrated parser-based text adventures, which unfortunately is what I would be interested in.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, drpeter said:

This is a very impressive tool, but as I understand it, it facilitates making 'point & click' style graphic games, not illustrated parser-based text adventures, which unfortunately is what I would be interested in.

Yes, for this projects like Ozmoo or Zeugma would need to get an Atari port first. Doing a text parser engine from scratch + authoring tool is a huge work. For visual novels Blockly could be an option. 

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 2

On 8/21/2021 at 9:30 AM, drpeter said:

Not necessarily....

While idly awaiting the definitive version from @Mauro Rodriguez I decided to run my favourite through Rasta, and this is what popped out:

Monumental Statue

40 colours.

output.png

drpeter_Statue.xex 21.92 kB · 25 downloads

This is an impressive conversion, But as expected there is some line-segment artifacting in the image as per 99% of anyone's images. While in the post first displaying this "converted" image and all the others, there isn't a single sign of this Rastaconverter artifacting in any of them which would be an astronomical mathematical achievement for anyone to pull off that many perfect conversions. Sort of like putting a million monkeys in front of a million typewriters and eventually from all the random key presses one of them eventually manages to type out Shakespeare's Macbeth. They all look exactly like destination pictures to me, not the final outputs. 

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gunstar said:

This is an impressive conversion, But as expected there is some line-segment artifacting in the image as per 99% of anyone's images. While in the post first displaying this "converted" image and all the others, there isn't a single sign of this Rastaconverter artifacting in any of them which would be an astronomical mathematical achievement for anyone to pull off that many perfect conversions. Sort of like putting a million monkeys in front of a million typewriters and eventually from all the random key presses one of them eventually manages to type out Shakespeare's Macbeth. They all look exactly like destination pictures to me, not the final outputs. 

Looking at the line artifacts in this picture I think it will be worth adding one other kernel program modification method. Now it's performing random changes to the kernel, but once in a while it could do non-random but linear sweep through the generated program and test change of the values by [+1,-1,+16,-16], byte by byte, with evaluation of the picture. Hope to have time once to return to this project to fix the PMG repositioning issue, add such new method and potentially add generation of 2 pictures at time for screen-swapping color increase (visible "flickering" could be greatly minimized by using the colors of similar saturation and value and only different hue in HSV space).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2