IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

That image would be using sprites in the border.

Though I think some other trickery is going on as well.  With unexpanded multicolour sprites you can only cover 96 of a possible 160 pixels horizontally.

I suspect that some of the sprites would be 2x expanded single colour which could make up the shortfall.

16 hours ago, Poison said:

I would like to ask someone if they would convert this picture to xex for me :) Without blue stripes and without graphics errors, iam not able to do that :( It is picture from Xenium party and C64. I like it very much this picture :)

thank you

baf5.297633.png

This isn't a bad effort, for RastaConverter.

Cropped to 160x240.

output.png

drpeter_RainyStreet.xex

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 9

13 hours ago, Rybags said:

That image would be using sprites in the border.

Yeah, but the question was not so much how does the C64 put graphics in the upper & lower borders, but how does it hope to display borders beyond the PAL specification of 288 vertical (non-interlaced) scanlines maximum? On some sort of monitor output? I know very little about the C64...

Like I posted, it's a music piece with static picture.

It's using sprites in the border which allows more than the C64 stock 200 scanline limit of displayed graphics thought the bulk of what can be shown outside is sprites.

I'm not sure what the upper limit is.  The default Atari situation is 240 scanlines but we can use the hires as last displayed/scanline 240 bug to allow displaying PMG objects in the remaining scanlines.

I would guess the C64 probably allows using close to all the possible 312 scanlines.

The 288 scanline thing (or 240 with NTSC) - that's just a specification that assumes a "TV safe" area where you're fairly guaranteed most of it will show.  It's entirely possible to generate a PAL or NTSC analog display that uses all except the few scanlines that are required for VSync.

ed - as for the picture that's showing 293 or whatever scanlines - I'd say quite obviously it's and emulator screenshot.  But that said, entirely possible a TV could produce the same.

Edited by Rybags

28 minutes ago, Rybags said:

The 288 scanline thing (or 240 with NTSC) - that's just a specification that assumes a "TV safe" area where you're fairly guaranteed most of it will show.  It's entirely possible to generate a PAL or NTSC analog display that uses all except the few scanlines that are required for VSync.

According to this, 288 IS the supposed maximum, having deducted the minimum 25 scanlines required for VSYNC in the PAL specification.  This supposed upper limit is therefore not to do with 'TV safe' overscan, which is a different issue and usually considered to be well below 288 displayed lines for PAL.

Websites discussing the C64 overscan area appear to suggest that the VIC II generates 284 scanlines between VSYNC periods.

doesn't matter I can't run it on my C64 or 128... seems like it wants 2 more sid chips and doesn't wan't to display properly on NTSC?? Can anyone confirm? It doesn't look nearly like what is shown here nor does it play right... I guess I need to install extra SID chips or?  Maybe 3 machines? haven't dug to deep or read much about it, just thought I'd grab it and be good to go, silly me...

Oh, well... wasted enough time on this... time to see some more rasta(s)

Edited by _The Doctor__

I can only do an NTSC C64 in emulation.  In either system on 1 SID it's just playing 1 note and seems stuck.  On NTSC the screen is distorted.

Fair chance it might be PAL only.  There'd be a degree of CPU usage offscreen.  In theory the tracker stuff should be able to run in the display area, but from what I've seen by running it, yet another program that doesn't care for NTSC.

2 hours ago, Mauro Rodriguez said:

atari021.png.0902542d35233751a0bacc3f9450e363.png atari022.png.a8584f61fc34e204ed7dcf563ae2b012.png atari023.png.8a48b2808f3744361c8c37a5368a708a.png

Sorry to say, but for somebody that came here out of the blue, boasting about his Xenon rig, criticizing Gunstar's beautiful conversion, I'm a bit disappointed in your conversions ?

All of them suffer hugely from line artifacts, and the R-Type image even has a blue stripe in its mouth.

Giger girl is almost greyscale, but still it has a huge band across her face. Meh.

Dragons is a great image with real potential, but where's the contrast? And you didn't crop away the grey band, which severely limits the options later on the scanline.

Did you even run the conversions on a real Atari or a good emulation?

I might come across a little harsh, but I had expected more from you after all your talk and "previews".

Edited by ivop
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, madness77 said:

Here is my attempt to convert R-Type screen, but from C64 not ST.

I think its quite clean. A few more hours does not bring any improvement. 

output.png.2b4946fc6f82311980943d256badcc27.png

madness77_RType.xex 18.85 kB · 4 downloads

this conversion its more CLEAN than mine , maybe the collor pallete , but its 16 colors in the same sustems

y try with other dither method

2 hours ago, ivop said:

atari021.png.0902542d35233751a0bacc3f9450e363.png atari022.png.a8584f61fc34e204ed7dcf563ae2b012.png atari023.png.8a48b2808f3744361c8c37a5368a708a.png

Sorry to say, but for somebody that came here out of the blue, boasting about his Xenon rig, criticizing Gunstar's beautiful conversion, I'm a bit disappointed in your conversions ?

All of them suffer hugely from line artifacts, and the R-Type image even has a blue stripe in its mouth.

Giger girl is almost greyscale, but still it has a huge band across her face. Meh.

Dragons is a great image with real potential, but where's the contrast? And you didn't crop away the grey band, which severely limits the options later on the scanline.

Did you even run the conversions on a real Atari or a good emulation?

I might come across a little harsh, but I had expected more from you after all your talk and "previews".

i tested in Altirra , but i must try again with other dyther options  , my foot its hard like a rock , i must goint to surgery again in 4 month

I still think we should have built the towers back in the exact same dimensions as well as look, just made them tougher and 7 feet taller. I am a firm believer in showing those that want to do harm that there is no gain in their actions... at least we all came together to help, clean up, and fight back. To much division to even consider under the current goings on.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2021 at 4:38 PM, drpeter said:

A further manifestation of RastaConverter's player repositioning bug

I've recently stumbled across another consequence of the player repositioning bug in RastaConverter- one that seems to occur less commonly, but also is obvious when you think about it.

It's the reverse of the usual situation, the one where RastaConverter assumes a repositioned player will be displayed in its new position on the same line but actually it is not- allowing pixels from COLBAK or a player with lower priority to unintentionally 'show through' instead.

This 'new' type of error can occur when RastaConverter repositions a player after it has already triggered but not yet displayed at its current HPOS (i.e. during the 5-6 colour-clock delay between these 2 events). RastaConverter is not aware the player has already triggered, and that it will now therefore be displayed at its existing 'old' HPOS position regardless. It assumes that the repositioned player will NOT be displayed at its 'old' HPOS, thereby allowing COLBAK or lower priority players to appear, but in fact any such pixels end up obscured by the player displaying at its 'old' position regardless of the repositioning.

@Sheddy will be including this new observation in the annotations of disassembled Rastaconverter .xex files output by Rastaslide (output.png.rp).

In the meantime, I have updated my tutorial on the subject, again.

Tutorial Walkthrough_Ver4.pdf 4.53 MB · 16 downloads

RastaSlide - RastaConverter Slide Show Maker - version 2.7

Changes in version 2.7
- Includes Drpeter's version 4 "Tutorial Walkthrough" for artefact correction
- Added detection of an extra cause of HPOS line artefacts described in that guide
- Folders of slides can be added now as well as folders of RastaConverter pictures
- PMG file output in same MADS hex data format as RastaConverter

sheddy_peacock_feather_before.pngsheddy_peacock_feather.png

RastaSlide 2.7.zip sheddy_peacock_feather.xex

Edited by Sheddy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 9/11/2021 at 8:39 PM, drpeter said:

Bjorn Again

Björn Ulvaeus- as he was then, and as he is now...

22 colours.

output.png.f27daf1aa4d9f7e0098a082ed9a1419c.png

drpeter_Bjorn.xex 22.38 kB · 5 downloads

49 colours.

output.png

drpeter_BjornAgain.xex 20.37 kB · 5 downloads

Fantastic images! I do believe you are better with facial/portrait conversions than I.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[`] R.I.P. Sir Clive Sinclair

1940-2021

The first computer I came across was the ZX Spectrum.

It was first grade in elementary school. When I was 8 I learned to program in BASIC.

And then my parents bought me an Atari. However, it was Clive who made me a software engineer.

Thanks Clive.

madness77_SirCliveSinclair.png.de458ed582edc9fa4f09aa8b11598f57.png

image.png

madness77_SirCliveSinclair.xex

• Like 11