'So she took her love, for to gaze a while
Among the fields of barley:
In his arms she fell as her hair came down
Among the fields of gold.'

20 colours.

output.png

drpeter_FieldsOfBarley.xex 21.86 kB · 4 downloads

Nice!

Proving that it's not just the number of colors, but the composition.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, drpeter said:

Golden Sunset

'Many years have passed since those summer days
Upon the fields of barley;
See the children run as the sun goes down
Among the fields of gold!'

29 colours.

output.png

drpeter_GoldenSunset.xex 22.17 kB · 14 downloads

I think you're on to something here: these have just the right amount of dithering.

Possible to add the same type of dithering to "Fields of Gold"?

21 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I think you're on to something here: these have just the right amount of dithering.

Possible to add the same type of dithering to "Fields of Gold"?

Dithering is always a tricky one to judge- it can both add to and detract from an image, and some people just hate it.

I added heavy knoll dithering  (either 2.0 or 3.0 strength) to the last 3 images essentially because they all (especially Fields Of Barley and Barley In Mist) had large areas of subtle gradient across the sky.

Fields Of Gold has a bit less of that in the sky, and just has enough light (0.4 strength) jarvis dither applied to break up some of the small areas (such as the pink/orange bushes behind the figure) that were otherwise just flat colour and to lightly break up the edges of the gradients in the sky.

I will rerun Fields Of Gold with heavy knoll dithering and show you how it turns out...

55 minutes ago, drpeter said:

Dithering is always a tricky one to judge- it can both add to and detract from an image, and some people just hate it.

Yes, I've done a lot of processing myself (even though I've only posted a few here). I prefer to preprocess my conversions in Photoshop, and add the dithering there, where I have more control over it.

I added heavy knoll dithering  (either 2.0 or 3.0 strength) to the last 3 images essentially because they all (especially Fields Of Barley and Barley In Mist) had large areas of subtle gradient across the sky.

Fields Of Gold has a bit less of that in the sky, and just has enough light (0.4 strength) jarvis dither applied to break up some of the small areas (such as the pink/orange bushes behind the figure) that were otherwise just flat colour and to lightly break up the edges of the gradients in the sky.

Yes, I can see that there is less of an issue between gradients on Fields of Gold than in the others; but there are a few areas I think could benefit from a bit of dithering -- particularly in the sky and areas around the sun. 

I will rerun Fields Of Gold with heavy knoll dithering and show you how it turns out...

Thanks... maybe even some level of dithering that's in between heavy and what was initially used on Fields of Gold might work.

Note, that I think Fields of Gold is a good conversion already, but may be able to improve.

Obviously, adding dithering can cause RastaConverter to choke on being able pull things off -- with an image that processed fine otherwise. So, I realise there's a possibility it would end up degrading rather than enhancing the conversion.

Eva Marie Cassidy (February 2, 1963 – November 2, 1996)

Ketevan "Katie" Melua  (born 16 September 1984)

Both, no auto-tune, no melodyne. Just pure talent.

Edit: Let's do a Rasta conversion :)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MrFish said:

Thanks... maybe even some level of dithering that's in between heavy and what was initially used on Fields of Gold might work.

Note, that I think Fields of Gold is a good conversion already, but may be able to improve.

Obviously, adding dithering can cause RastaConverter to choke on being able pull things off -- with an image that processed fine otherwise. So, I realise there's a possibility it would end up degrading rather than enhancing the conversion.

I have messaged you with the original image, so you can have a play with it, if you like.

@GravityWorm   Nice... so gratifying isn't it when you first start to generate these? This one is great, very vibrant. :thumbsup:

Just to say there is a naming convention for Rasta conversions posted on this thread, (eg prefix an image with your AA username and a file name). So Gravityworm_Frog1 or something like that. Helps others keep track of the posted images.;-)

Are you using the Rastacoverter GUI front end incidentally?

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@GravityWorm nice. Just outta interest do you do any pre image prep reducing the colour pallette or source image size before running through RastaConverter? 

The only thing I always do is cropping and reducing the resolution to 320x240.
I try different things. Several, like edits, color correction (reducing saturation) hanging contrast brightness, many, many things. But sometimes I do nothing, just find the right photo.

Edited by GravityWorm

Also I have to mention those images are screenshots from the emulator Atari800, default color settings. If someone has an 8bit Atari plugged to a CRT TV and can send a photo of their screen, you are welcome.
Another one.

GravityWorm_Fieldd01.png

GravityWorm_Field01.xex

Edited by GravityWorm
changing the file name, corrected spelling
  • Like 7