IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Been working on Bladerunner image conversions on and off for a good few months, in between other RC image conversions.

Given the sad news of the death of Vangelis I thought it a good time to bring some of my conversions together and post em here. :)

PAL images from and inspired by the iconic 80's sci-fi film Bladerunner with a video of the slideshow set against a backdrop of the classic musical score.

Also attached is the slideshow compiled via Sheddy's Rastaslide (ver 3.3) as well as a zip of all the separate XEXs, (latter containing an extra surprise "bonus" image with a twist which couldn't be included in the slideshow).

Thanks @Sheddy for the bug fix mentioned in your post above that now allows me to compile a slideshow without displaying image filenames in between slides.:)

The image slideshow itself doesn't last long but I've let the music run on for much longer as it is so good.:lust::music:

NOTE: Said surprise image features in the video at 5.50min onwards and is available in the XEX image zip as it couldn't feature in the slideshow. (All will become apparent if you either download the XEXs or watch the video at 5.50min - where also skip to 7.14mins in. :D )

(BTW Surprise is courtesy of the Atari 8-bit demoscene legend known as FOX (of Numen and Drunken chessboard fame) - thanks Fox:).)

Enjoy and RIP Vangelis.

Bladerunner slideshow with NO filenames 13 slide ver.xex

Beeblebrox Bladerunner images.zip

(TIP: When running the slideshow and the separate XEXs in Altirra  - enable PAL High artifacting for the best result). 

Caveat - Said surprise image will not display properly on stock 400/800 A8s.;)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, ilmenit said:

should provide much faster good results than LAHC that is used in RC

Well, it might do- it tended to significantly outperform LAHC in the two types of test problem investigated in this paper, but I guess might not necessarily do so in the problem presented by the RastaConverter context.

Any willing coder out there able to give it a go?  The paper includes a full explanation and example pseudo-code...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

For just a bit of fun I ran this conversion the other week from the classic modern Tim Burton B-movie Mars Attacks - (must watch it again sometime:D?

96 colours

Altirra pallette

Yuv

Dither 

Mask applied

Screen taken from Altirra with PAL high artefacting enabled:

image.thumb.png.884e62eb92754ac39338d023dda6b504.png

Beeblebrox_MarsAttackssm1_05_FIXED_CENTERED.xex 19.14 kB · 4 downloads

Ack ack, ack ack ack. Ack!

• Haha 4

Big Disenchantment fan, (as ya probably clocked from my first ever AA and RC image post a year ago and this one below which turned out very nicely - (can't believe it's ben a year since I discovered RC, this wonderful thread/images and was inspired to start converting images myself:lust:):

image.png.ad73267bed1a17239f038031c6c3a8b2.png

Disenchantment1smincomplete11_FIXED.xex  )

So I decided to revisit some more from the series and ran the majority of the conversions over the last month, (these being the best of the bunch - not without flaws - but still quite nice IMHO):

(FYI as usual all screens taken from Altirra with PAL high artifacting enabled and have been run through Sheddy's HPOS error correction tool (and centered if needed too))

First one - a very quick conversion of a title screen

38 colours - Atari800winplus palette - Yuv 

Filename: Beeblebrox_Disenchantmenttitlesm2_02_FIXED.xex

image.png.d213095fd95f8c6f68fd73e378d8bc8a.png                                                   

Beeblebrox_Disenchantmenttitlesm2_02_FIXED.xex

Next up - few flaws across Bean's face but overall I like the conversion.

64 colours  - Altirra palette - Yuv - dither - mask

Filename: Beeblebrox_DisenchantmentBeerssm2_01_FIXED_CENTERED.xex

image.png.c016c28a432654918a3624feb0fbe24d.png

Beeblebrox_DisenchantmentBeerssm2_01_FIXED_CENTERED.xex

This one I'm personally very pleased with despite the apparent line flaws - (I love the crispness of the axe and it's colours and the detail still managing to come through in the background to the left):D:

Excuse filename typo - only just noticed. :P BTW it's from the Hansel and Gretel episode with the psychotic siblings in the candy house. (Great episode)

89 colours - Altirra palette - mask

Filename: Beeblebrox_DisenchanmentLollipopaexsm1_06_FIXED_CENTERED.xex

image.png.bbca565f4054501a0ee377f32fcf88e4.png

Beeblebrox_DisenchanmentLollipopaexsm1_06_FIXED_CENTERED.xex

With the following image I'd initially ran a 320*240 version and then a 320*200 version,

(where both faces of the character Bean didn't quite turn out right - I know why of course).

Posting anyway as still like the rest of the resulting conversions and seeing all the wonderfully rich colours. I may revisit this image again sometime)

320*240 version

95 colours -Altirra Palette - Yuv - mask

Filename: Beeblebrox_DisenchantmentTowersm1_05_FIXED_CENTERED.xex

image.png.41ec965160bb0e321689632922f8feb7.png

Beeblebrox_DisenchantmentTowersm1_05_FIXED_CENTERED.xex

and

320*200 version

107 colours - Altirra palette - Yuv - mask

Filename: Beeblebrox_DisenchantmentTowersm2_08_FIXED_CENTERED.xex

image.png.c21d1e75819b492bc1e1e05e85e71316.png

Beeblebrox_DisenchantmentTowersm2_08_FIXED_CENTERED.xex

BTW for reference here was the source (where shown is the 320*240 conversion):

image.thumb.png.ffa1315be764ef9f3351258e24854008.png

Not had a chance to transfer them to my 800's Incognito CF card to snap pics of these on my B&O CRT as yet.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 8

These are fantastic conversion @Beeblebrox ! Of course I'm a big Disenchantment fan too or pretty much anything by Matt Groenig(?)...except for The Simpsons, that show has far outlived it's appeal to me, I stopped watching it a decade ago, but I still love Futurama and Disenchantment.

But seeing how well TowersM1 &2 turned out in the current orientation, and amount of colours they have, it makes me wonder if they could be even better and more on-screen colors if the image was flipped as I believe there are more vertically oriented colour change possibilities on the left side of the image, and the right side with the sky seems more horizontally oriented with color changes, which is easy for Rasta with DLI's. Since Rastaconverter and the Atari are better at colour changes on the right side I probably would have tried a mirror version too. Still, fantastic as they are from what you achieved in the current orientation considering less color change opportunities clock cycle-wise on the left.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 2:17 PM, Gunstar said:

These are fantastic conversion @Beeblebrox ! Of course I'm a big Disenchantment fan too or pretty much anything by Matt Groenig(?)...except for The Simpsons, that show has far outlived it's appeal to me, I stopped watching it a decade ago, but I still love Futurama and Disenchantment.

But seeing how well TowersM1 &2 turned out in the current orientation, and amount of colours they have, it makes me wonder if they could be even better and more on-screen colors if the image was flipped as I believe there are more vertically oriented colour change possibilities on the left side of the image, and the right side with the sky seems more horizontally oriented with color changes, which is easy for Rasta with DLI's. Since Rastaconverter and the Atari are better at colour changes on the right side I probably would have tried a mirror version too. Still, fantastic as they are from what you achieved in the current orientation considering less color change opportunities clock cycle-wise on the left.

@Gunstar thanks, really appreciate the comments. ? Love ya recent conversions btw. Yeah flipping the image for the 3rd attempt was my plan. I've done the same with a conversion of an image from the animated series Star trek Lower Decks. (Will post that conversion sometime soon). I've been converting loads over the last month. Laptop never rests. Love it. Really pleased with my Bladerunner and Skyrim conversions of late, (especially with the added feature Fox kindly coded for me) - but the Disenchantment conversions with their intense colours I love doing - great to see the A8 displaying that number of wonderful colours. ?

Edited by Beeblebrox

Nazi vertical-lift prop-jet. This is an image that I've tried many times and never quite satisfied so I never posted it before. But I've decided it's not terrible either so I'm sharing. Though this is another image that I saved the picture in the wrong format (BPP) and so I've no actual color count.

GS_NaziPropjet.jpg

GS_Nazipropjet.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 7

On 6/6/2022 at 3:08 AM, Gunstar said:

I don't know how I missed this one, but I discovered it! Fantastic!

I can repeat what I wrote some time ago (with some typos fixed)...
"GravityWorm_QFG01.xex is not only the most colorful out of my images posted here, but also most up voted image here...
Interesting. I'm not proud. I almost deleted it. I worked on in so long. I started several times from scratch...
I only posted it because I do not have time and post old unfinished photos recently...
Interesting that U like it so much!"

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 6:25 PM, StaxX28 said:

they look awesome