IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Hello!

Ready for next challenge?

Shouldn't be hard, I think. :)

It's been my experience that most pictures are difficult to convert. Here is my best effort with yours. Somehow Tony (if that is Tony Stark) picked up an ear ring. *shrug*

post-9154-0-60016100-1474653618_thumb.png

About 730 million evaluations. Palette was Altirra.act (I assume exported from Altirra but I don't recall). Tony's nose doesn't show up very well. Perhaps a different dither would work better. I used LINE2 with 0.8 strength, 0.0 randomness.

a8isa1_ts1.xex.xex

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This one has a busier background which takes away from what can be done for the bird, could benefit with some editing before processing.

In both cases, we see the weakness of the A8 colour generation, the red just suffers immensely from insufficient saturation at most luma levels...

Rybags_GPheasant1.xex

post-7804-0-33414900-1479780862_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think there is... not sure either if the normal Ram-based Doses survive a picture being loaded, most use a fair chunk of memory.

What might work could be a disk based menu loader that automatically runs each executable in sequence each time it runs, ie it'd have to write back to the disk.

Sorry if this has been asked before, it's a long thread, I might have even asked before and forgotten; Is there a picture viewer program that can load these

Rasta .xex files up like a slide show?

Well with SpartaDos X v. 448 I use a batch file to view them. Just requires a key press to advance to next picture. I sort my rasta pictures alphabetically so ALLA.BAT view all the pictures beginning with A and so on to Z.

LS A*.XEX >>ALLA.BAT

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wondered if recompiling RastaConverter with a more recent compiler that is aware of newer processor features could speed it up some more.

It does, but SSE4, AVX, AVX2 compiles are all slightly slower than SSE2 which was disappointing.

Anyway, thought I'd share the quicker SSE2 version. There's also a compile for AVX-512 Xeon and Phi processors but I haven't access to any of those bad boys to test it. I suspect the SSE2 version will be still be fastest, but you never know.

Enjoy!

RastaConverterBeta7-icl17.zip

• Like 6

I wondered if recompiling RastaConverter with a more recent compiler that is aware of newer processor features could speed it up some more.

It does, but SSE4, AVX, AVX2 compiles are all slightly slower than SSE2 which was disappointing.

Anyway, thought I'd share the quicker SSE2 version. There's also a compile for AVX-512 Xeon and Phi processors but I haven't access to any of those bad boys to test it. I suspect the SSE2 version will be still be fastest, but you never know.

Enjoy!

I ran some quick tests on my system. I ran each version using YUV, no dithering on the same image for 5 minutes.

Syetem:

Intel i7-4770k

16GB Ram

Windows 7-64

5 minute runtime                  |YUV        |
----------------------------------|-----------|
RastaConverter                    |21,651,108 |
RastaConverterBeta7.icl17.AVX512  |21,068,705 |
RastaConverterBeta7.icl17.SSE2    |21,455,746 |

Interesting Stephen, thanks. From looking it up, your proc has SSE2, SSE4, AVX and AVX2, so it isn't using the optimised code path for AVX 512. Looks like that slows down everything else though.

Was that your original rastaconverter.exe? The one in mine is just a copy of the SSE2 one. I did wonder whether I should have left it the "official" one.

Edited by Sheddy

Interesting Stephen, thanks. From looking it up, your proc has SSE2, SSE4, AVX and AVX2, so it isn't using the optimised code path for AVX 512. Looks like that slows down everything else though.

Was that your original rastaconverter.exe? The one in mine is just a copy of the SSE2 one. I did wonder whether I should have left it the "official" one.

Oh - I oput the three EXEs you included in a separate folder. That would make sense, as I actually ran the SSE2 one twice. Herp derp. Let me try this again, with the one I previously was using. I'll edit this post when I get the results.

OK - new results: (about an 18% speedup - nice!!)

5 minute runtime                  |YUV        |
----------------------------------|-----------|
RastaConverter                    |18,297,106 |
RastaConverterBeta7.icl17.SSE2    |21,455,746 |
  • Like 2

Great picture !

And here is the program for it... nah, not the GUI, just the X-Copy program (sectorcopy)...

"Downloaded" from my MS-DOS PC with xcopy xcopy.atr,b: and then extracted on the Win XP PC...

(On the A8, Sparta-DOS, SDX and Real-DOS also have the xcopy command available.)

XCOPY.XEX

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 3

I wanted to make a X-Copy fake GUI picture. Here it is. Very simple but I think its still nice.

attachicon.gifMario130xe_XCOPY.png

Is this actually drawn by hand or really gone through RC? I wanted to ask the same for the last few picture from you. they don't look converted in any regard.

• Like 1

Is this actually drawn by hand or really gone through RC? I wanted to ask the same for the last few picture from you. they don't look converted in any regard.

Both. :) It's a mix of using RC and hand painting.

1st step is creating the pic in photoshop or mspaint or whatever

2nd step is making some different output_dst.png files using different RC options. (dithering on/off,diff. palettes, and so on)

3rd step is to mix parts of the pics + a lot of handmade optimization. changing colors, set or delete single pixels .....

4th step is to render that pic in RC and after millions of evaluations I'm checking, if I can do more optimizing. :D

need a lot of time but .... I like the results. :D

And unfortunately I do not understand g2f. :(

Greetings, Mario

• Like 2