IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

First time to the Rasta thread? just scroll back and check it all out, I've done far more impressive stuff than this...and so have others. But I appreciate it, thanks!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's one I attempted about a year ago, but never was satisfied with the results. I'm glad it's a favorite of yours, it's my favorite to date too, I think. I've been retrying some images that didn't make my cut then, able to improve them now with my experience of a year or two with Rasta converter.

Edited by Gunstar

Thanks, it only took a few dozen attempts over more than a year to finally get it right. learning more about Rasta and how it sees the images it converts and going back and trying again. As is human with learning, more is learned from the mistakes than the successes. But it takes constant study of the failures to see what went wrong and right. It's research.

I don't think there is an image I've done that I have ever been completely happy with and just say "wow, I know I can't get it any better than that." There just comes a point where I finally find it acceptable enough to share, or not, and I give up and share it, or I give up on it permanently, or, sometimes, I set it aside for another college try down the road. The magic for the viewer, with my conversions, is in not seeing just how poorly they still compare, to me, to the source.

But that's the artist's way. No artist (that I've ever known) is ever completely satisfied with their work, whether original or copy, and can see a million things still wrong with it that the general public doesn't. My work, once I've been away from the original image for a while, tends to look better to me too.

The illusion is shattered when compared to the real thing again. But that's a good thing as it keeps me striving to get better and not let my standards drop. I've done 4 or 5 times the amount of different image conversions than what I post. An an average of a dozen attempts on each image. There are a few, like 24 heures du Mans, that I just can't give up on and do many more attempts over time.

My PC is almost constantly running a Rasta conversion, 24/7, whether I am home or not, doing other things or not, and I check back in on them now and again and decide to continue or stop and discard and start over again after changing settings. I've got one running right now, while I am on-line writing this.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

It looks stunning on my LCD too, with a real Atari, much better than the .png.

By the way, 62 is a typo I missed until too late, that image is really 26 colors.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

The source pic and adjustments are the perfect balance between not too much fine detail and not too many colours bunched up. Excellent!

If you say so, I just take pictures I like, and let Rasta chew them up and spit them out. ;)

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Well, you've got 60 pages worth of art to check out with amazing color. These are just art/photos/images from sources on the net, from me, and wherever others got theirs, but it's not original art made for the Atari, but images that are then converted to Atari.

The only artistry really involved here is learning to use Rastaconverter the best you can, which is in fact a practiced art, and not a bunch of tech-babble about understanding the inner workings of Rasta to get the best out of it. While others do that, I keep spitting out images they wish they could.

Practice makes perfect, that's all there is to it. I've gotten this far with no help ever from masking, except the one image of Bowman from 2001 (and with my current experience, I could redo that one much better without masking too), because someone provided me with the mask. No pre-work at all except for cropping images to 4:3 ratio and resizing to 320x240. All that is needed is in Rasta itself to create great images, nothing more is needed, if you get to know Rasta.

This is amazing! I always wanted to be able to put this many colors on screen with an Atari. I knew it was possible, but only theoretically at the time.

The programming was beyond me then, the artistry is still beyond me now!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1