IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

A first test in anyglyph 3D Rasta Images. Requires red/cyan 3D glasses.

Star Wars 3D. 60 colors.

A first test in anyglyph 3D Rasta Images. Requires red/cyan 3D glasses.

Star Wars 3D. 60 colors.

Works!

This reminds me of something. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone thinks I'm nuts. If I stare at the Rastaconverter progress screens at just the right distance (about 1 foot from the screen of my laptop) I can see 3D images just as if I was viewing stereoptic slides.

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 2

I got 3 pair of decent quality red/cyan plastic glasses, that fit over my reading glasses (they can also be used without glasses underneath) on Amazon. Less than $6 with free shipping. Of course there is a wide selection from the disposable card-board glasses to high quality ones, for dirt cheap. Below is a few examples, all extremely inexpensive and free shipping. I also use mine for some vintage 3D movies I have on vintage media, and there is a lot of Anaglyph 3D images on line and videos on Youtube. There are some modern movies, like Avatar, that you can get Anaglyph 3D versions of too.

I sort of feel like I've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, with subject matter for Rasta Converter, and while trying to come up with a new idea, I remembered Anaglyph 3D and some old card-board glasses I had in a drawer. Of course they were scratched up, so I bought some that would last. But there will be more 3D images to come. These are more difficult than 2D images though...especially the 3D images that are full color, and not just B/W, though even they are difficult.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076V7M7XC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JWTMGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-White-Cardboard-Glasses-Pairs/dp/B001P6C7ZY/ref=pd_sbs_23_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001P6C7ZY&pd_rd_r=VJ9X21D2QMEXED33J400&pd_rd_w=Ps9U8&pd_rd_wg=R6zqv&psc=1&refRID=VJ9X21D2QMEXED33J400

• Like 1

Works!

This reminds me of something. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone thinks I'm nuts. If I stare at the Rastaconverter progress screens at just the right distance (about 1 foot from the screen of my laptop) I can see 3D images just as if I was viewing stereoptic slides.

Maybe not so nuts, there are forms of stereoscopic imaging that does rely on side-by-side images taken from slightly different perspective and then viewed through special lenses or the used of dots and crossing your eyes until you bring the dots together, allowing you to see the stereoscopic image out of the two. These were the original types of stereoscopy that were used all the way back to nearly the invention of photography itself. Thousands of stereoscopic American Civil War photos exist, and ones turned into Anaglyph can by viewed on-line. So it's possible that you are crossing your eyes a bit and the multiple images can trick your eyes into seeing a bit of stereo.

Edited by Gunstar

Maybe not so nuts, there are forms of stereoscopic imaging that does rely on side-by-side images taken from slightly different perspective and then viewed through special lenses or the used of dots and crossing your eyes until you bring the dots together, allowing you to see the stereoscopic image out of the two. These were the original types of stereoscopy that were used all the way back to nearly the invention of photography itself. Thousands of stereoscopic American Civil War photos exist, and ones turned into Anaglyph can by viewed on-line. So it's possible that you are crossing your eyes a bit and the multiple images can trick your eyes into seeing a bit of stereo.

yes, but the effect I see is pronounced. I see horizons and clouds approaching infinity. I see bumps in terrain. I see shadows stretching through depth.

It doesn't makes sense but I do. The resolution is too low. Two of the pictures are derivatives of output.png-src.png. There's no change in angle for each view. Yet, I perceive some objects closer than others regardless of their real world size.

It's an enjoyable illusion even if I'm the only person who imagines it. :D

Edited by a8isa1

I got 3 pair of decent quality red/cyan plastic glasses, that fit over my reading glasses (they can also be used without glasses underneath) on Amazon. Less than $6 with free shipping. Of course there is a wide selection from the disposable card-board glasses to high quality ones, for dirt cheap. Below is a few examples, all extremely inexpensive and free shipping. I also use mine for some vintage 3D movies I have on vintage media, and there is a lot of Anaglyph 3D images on line and videos on Youtube. There are some modern movies, like Avatar, that you can get Anaglyph 3D versions of too.

I sort of feel like I've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, with subject matter for Rasta Converter, and while trying to come up with a new idea, I remembered Anaglyph 3D and some old card-board glasses I had in a drawer. Of course they were scratched up, so I bought some that would last. But there will be more 3D images to come. These are more difficult than 2D images though...especially the 3D images that are full color, and not just B/W, though even they are difficult.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076V7M7XC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JWTMGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-White-Cardboard-Glasses-Pairs/dp/B001P6C7ZY/ref=pd_sbs_23_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001P6C7ZY&pd_rd_r=VJ9X21D2QMEXED33J400&pd_rd_w=Ps9U8&pd_rd_wg=R6zqv&psc=1&refRID=VJ9X21D2QMEXED33J400

About every 10 years or so, from the '80s to the 2000s, some TV station ran a 3D event. I'd pick up some 3D glasses at a convenience store. I kept them for anaglyph websites and I noticed anaglyph videos on youtube. I have only one pair of Red/Cyan glasses remaining. The Red/Green ones were misplaced or damaged over time.

What I have l left worked with your Rastaconverter generated anaglyph.

• Like 1

I tried the pic out with glasses but the 3D effect did not work for me. Maybe it wasn't 'red' enough? Though I'll guess it should be possible to find some that can work - if they're of a low resolution.

I got some glasses some time ago when I hunted down a lot of the anaglyph 3D images - there was one guy who did a lot of them - using a computer to produce them? Excellent example images.

Most of the new glasses available do not work with glasses wearers - but one type manages to work OK with them.

I would guess the low resolution and limited colours do not lend themselves for 3D images to work effectively. Like for example any type of 'Magic Eye' picture. I don't really like the Magic Eye images in which it takes time for your eyes to synch in the image. The images are not that great when you do see what you are suppose to see. Similar to going cross eyed when viewing those Side by Side separate 3D images - which is the system used for 3D movies? I never sat in on a present day 3D movie to see if it was worthwhile or not?

I did not think that the current 3D movie systems would take off - as long as there is flickering present - with headaches being an indicator - that you cannot watch it long term.

It is said that there will be a 3D TV system in which glasses will not be needed - but it takes greater processing power to be available - to enable it.

Maybe within a 10? year timeframe we'll see it becoming available? Or offered as a choice for new TVs?

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove
  • Like 1

The "Redeemer" from Command & Conquer 3 - Kane's Wrath

A quick one. Only 50000000 evals.

post-3660-0-66340700-1530650167_thumb.jpg

rc /i=Redeemer-1.png /threads=10 /s=400 /h=320 /pal=olivierp /dither_val=2.6 /dither_rand=0.25 /dither=knoll /contrast=4 /brightness=2

-

post-3660-0-86943700-1530650105.png

Altirra screenshot

-

Fox-1_Redeemer-1.xex

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Grew tired of trying with this one. At least the outrigger canoo and the water look good.

post-9154-0-26942200-1531942876.png

a8isa1_polynesia.xex

(NTSC - see my palettes)

By the way, it's true that I'm using palettes with very saturated colors. I've always tweaked saturation on my Ataris and monitors at least 3 "notches". I don't have a suitable camera. I'm doing my best to convey the colors the way I see them on my 800XL using an emulator and customized palettes.

• Like 8

I might come back to it and give it another shot, but that's about the tenth attempt there, and I actually forgot about it and it ran more than 750,000,000 evals, and my average is 100 mil. to avoid errors, luckily, this was one of the few I left running that long that didn't get the line errors on a real Atari. It just happens to be slightly better than my next best attempt. I'm working on some other western scene images right now. I was going to leave it and move on without posting, but I like the image a lot too, and just decided to share, warts and all.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Imagine those pics in an adventure game

Such a picture takes approx. 22kbytes - not much memory left for the rest of the game then (except you target a 128k or 320k machine). And errm, the Rasta pictures look great from a distance, but if you sit closely to the monitor, e.g. typing in commands/text for the adv. game, then you can almost see every single pixel and most of all the many stripes... (just like Gr. 9+11 / 256 colour pictures that only look good from a distance)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin