IGNORED

Collections

Michael David Morsette

Below are pics of my current Atari Lynx cart collection. I hope to eventually acquire one cart variant of every single game that ever had a cart release for the Lynx. I believe that I have accounted for everything correctly, so there should currently be 4 holes in my cart collection. I also hope to acquire one box and instruction manual to go along with each cart, if an “official” box or manual was ever made for the game. It appears that P.I.T.S. is going to be the hardest game to do this for. (The one unlabeled cart is “Eye of the Beholder.” It looks like I will have to jump on the next production run from Eric if it ever happens, since nobody seems to want to sell his or her complete copy of the game.)

(more pics in next post)

Edited by BenjaminStevens

CameraZOOM-20120922211703050.jpg

Hey MrBland,

I see that you have a complete copy of P.I.T.S. in your collection. I am very interested to know the information in the instruction manual, and I was wondering:

1. Does all the information in the instruction manual already appear online somewhere?
  2. If not, would you be willing to send me scans of all the pages of the instruction manual, ensuring that all text is legible?

I am not currently aware of the information in the instruction manual being available in English, so I am asking for this so that I can translate the information into English. If you can’t read German, I can share my translation results with you when I’m done, and I can even post the results on this site for all to read, if you and/or Lars Baumstark and Bastian Schick don’t mind. If a problem would arise from that, then I can just share the results with you. If you can already read German, then I will understand if you don’t want to take me up on my offer.

If anyone else has the full instruction manual for this game and would like to send me scans of each page so I can get all info translated into English and share the results as well, please send me a personal message and I’ll get started! ;-)

From what I have been able to research there are at least two versions of PITS. An older version on a white PCB, foam insert and no manual, and a newer version with a green PCB, cardboard as part of the insert and a manual. I have the one with the white PCB and no manual. I traded one with a manual to another Atariage member though if they want to volunteer.

I noticed your Othello cart looks like has been through a battle or two :)

Edited by MrBland

From what I have been able to research there are at least two versions of PITS. An older version on a white PCB, foam insert and no manual, and a newer version with a green PCB, cardboard as part of the insert and a manual. I have the one with the white PCB and no manual. I traded one with a manual to another Atariage member though if they want to volunteer.

I noticed your Othello cart looks like has been through a battle or two :)

Well, I sure hope that I can find someone who will send me scans of the manual, as I really am very interested to know the details of it.

Yeah... that's the condition in which the Othello cart came to me from the Ebay seller. I don't know if I want to know what he did to it. ;)

Hmm.. I think I got my facts mixed up. I'll have to look back through my emails and double checked myself. It turns out mine is on a green PCB, not white like for some reason I was thinking....

Edit: Well the collector I bought PITS from (who has proven himself a good resource) stated that the PITS he sold me was complete and did not come with a manual, though the PITS I traded was very similar to mine (green PCB white sticker) but had a manual. Other differences were mine came with a Lynx case (traded one did not) and traded one had a cardboard insert (mine did not).

Searching back through the forums, in "The Definitive Lynx Cart Variation List" thread Eric Delee shows a pic of a white translucent PCB for PITS. These are the only cart variations, I don't' know what I was smoking when I thought mine was white :)

There maybe that sets my mix up straight.

Edited by MrBland

Yep, they fit great. You can fit two in one case. I started out packing all mine like that then switched to baseball card sheets like Smeghead.

Okay man I bought a lot of 10 original cases for $14.95 if they do not fit you owe me! :grin:

Got all of my games off ebay in the mail today..puts me at 20 (they were all lose)... I know this is a long shot but would anyone be willing to trade a common game for my lose copy of Blue Lightning?

Okay, I am now in the hunt for collecting all CIB games for the Lynx, and as I look at most people's CIB collections, I notice that nobody seems to have a standard box for California Games, nobody except Tempest2k that is. What is up with California games? Did it never have a standard box made for it, and is the one in Tempest2K's collection simply a custom-made one? I don't even see California Games on the box list on this site, so I'm assuming it must not have an official standard box, is that correct?

Quick question.. How does the screens match up from the Lynx 1 to the Lynx 2 system? Was in the chat last night and someone mentioned that the Lynx 2 screen was crappy..

I think it varies! Ive got Lynx 2 with a good screen and one with a great screen - which looks as good as my Lynx 1. I think the LCD facia of Lynx 1s are better - the Lynx 2 had a different kind of perspex which affects the colours / contrast imo.

• Like 2

Okay, I am now in the hunt for collecting all CIB games for the Lynx, and as I look at most people's CIB collections, I notice that nobody seems to have a standard box for California Games, nobody except Tempest2k that is. What is up with California games? Did it never have a standard box made for it, and is the one in Tempest2K's collection simply a custom-made one? I don't even see California Games on the box list on this site, so I'm assuming it must not have an official standard box, is that correct?

i think it shipped with Lynx 1 as a package, so there were hardly any of the boxed versions sold. There are a couple of boxed ones on EBAY atm.

Okay man I bought a lot of 10 original cases for $14.95 if they do not fit you owe me! :grin:

They'll fit ;)

Wasn't there an all Lynx games list here, with games like Push around the world, BattleSpace, Lynx Sketch, Stardreamer etc?

Here is one I did:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/blog/494/entry-9329-lynx-game-list-part-1/

i think it shipped with Lynx 1 as a package, so there were hardly any of the boxed versions sold. There are a couple of boxed ones on EBAY atm.

But in that case, wasn't it simply a loose cart inside of the large Lynx system box? Tempest2k actually has a box that looks like all of the other standard Lynx game boxes. I don't see any California Games online anywhere that come in one of the standard game boxes.

Isn't P.I.T.S. still available from the original programmer in germany?

From what I heard, one can only get a cartridge of the game made from the original programmer in Germany. He no longer makes the manuals as I understand it.

I am very interested to know the information in the instruction manual, and I was hoping to create an English translation of it to post online for all to read. High Voltage, would you be willing to send me legible scans of each of the pages of the P.I.T.S. manual, so that I can translate the information into English and post on this site for all to read? If so, send me a PM and I can send you my e-mail address if necessary. I would greatly appreciate it.

Okay, I managed to find one Ebay seller who is offering California Games in a standard game box:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2908146182901?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290814618290&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The only problem is, a person would probably have to buy the whole lot to get the game in this box. California Games must be one of the hardest games to find complete in a standard game box from what I've found.

Okay, I managed to find one Ebay seller who is offering California Games in a standard game box:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2908146182901?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290814618290&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The only problem is, a person would probably have to buy the whole lot to get the game in this box. California Games must be one of the hardest games to find complete in a standard game box from what I've found.

I believe there could be 4 California Games box variations:

- The one in the auction with a grey band at the right side.

- One without the grey band

- A big box

- The weird flat box

Pressed for time right now, but I can make a picture of the first three variations that I have for Gates of Zendocon later. For California Games I might have 1 or 2. I would have to check my collection. Will let you know later.

• 1 month later...

LX.NET,

When you say that California Games comes in a big box or the weird flat box, is the above picture from MrBland's collection the big box or the weird flat one?

Sorry I missed this one. The box of California Games is the "weird flat" one. The large box looks like the normal box but is about a third larger.

• 6 months later...

Well I got a few more additions to my collection. First the one I am most excited about:

picture014.jpg

I know, crappy photo. I was taking all my picks with my iPhone, but it was acting up so I used the camera on my laptop... could NOT get a decent photo. I'll have to retake pics later, but for now what you are looking at is a proto of Dirty Larry! It is dated 1992. Now this may not be too exciting for everyone else since Dirty Larry is released and easily gotten, but I think these protos used for prerelease review are AWESOME! But may be just me lol. According to the collector I bought it from "The DL prototype came directly from an old Atari programer named David Wightman". Here is a link to an interview with Wightman: http://atariage.com/...ator-interview/

Here are some reproduced protos that are a bit rare that I have also added:

picture011.jpg

These came from the same collector, and are very cool, not quite as nice as DL though :)

Here are some neat odds and ends

Top left is a sticker; bottom left looks like an advertisement insert, it has the Lynx logo on the back; and the right one is a magnet.

picture009.jpg

Couple more, post-it notes, a note pad with graph paper, and a ruler.

picture010.jpg

Don't know much about the odds and ends posted here at the end, if you guys have any more info on origins I would be interested. Mainly I don't know if they are true Atari branded items or fan made items. The post-its I'm pretty sure are real, but the notepad, ruler, magnet etc. I thought might be fan made.

And last but not least, Bitchy.

picture008.jpg

This I am actually looking to find a new home for. Since I already have one, I am hoping I can trade it for something else interesting.

Well that's it for me for now; you guys have anything new?

Edited by MrBland